Thread: Need Some Help

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Some Help

Hi,
    I have a site that I would like to generate some serious income for. Its an inspirational website aimed at African American women and recieves about 30,000 hits a month after a year with no advertising at all.

We have an online survey that indicated majority of our audience is eduacated, single, and over 40% earn from 50-100k+ a year. Our audience has large disposable income.

It takes no fool to know there is huge potential here especially as sites targeted to this market are so few. I am not interested in banner ads etc I want real income to run a small comp - millions.

Do you have any ideas? Im thinking of approaching VC's as its such a lucrative niche market. Is what I have enough to do that? All Im doing is being the gatekeeper and offering them access to my market. They work out what they wanna sell etc. What do you guys think?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would like the url

I don't really have any ideas, but I would like the URL please.
    Ali Memon
    Direct Print

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense but you need to come back to earth.

First of all you can't run a corporation on advertising anymore, it doesn't work, thats why you see so many dot-bombs. You can run a small business on advertising, thats about it. Also the chances of getting VC money to run an advertising funded business is slim to none.

As far as your traffic. 30,000 hits a month after a year is not good, in fact its bad. The last site I launched was getting 30,000 hits a month after about 2 weeks.

In today's ad market the most you're likely to get from advertising is about $30 a month with that kind of traffic.

If you had a good targetted campaign you could maybe pull in $300 a month but because of your low traffic you probably won't be able to get any targetted advertising.

My suggestion to you would be to work on increasing traffic.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree that making a lot of money on a low traffic site will be difficult. VC money is not a free handout. When a company takes VC money, the VC people generally require that you hand over a good percentage of your company to them but you're stuck with running it and finding the revenue to pay the VC people back.

Basically, the best you can hope is to find a sponsor that wants to target that demographic. You won't get rich off of it but it will give you a little extra cash to enjoy an evening out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks so much for the encouragement guys.

Nah, seriously its hard to sum up everything in a few lines but ...
    30,000 might not be good in your eyes but when you have a major publication like Essence magazine hitting 77,000 a month, 30,000 with no advertising doesnt look bad at all.

I knew I risked being misunderstood because of certain variables but thats OK.

I hear and understand exactly what you are saying and yes traffic is important I will aim to build that up. I guess what I am saying is its got potential and trust me theres not many a way out there that a marketer can access this market. Trust me on that one.

I guess what I was looking for is for someone to be able to see the potential. I have taken the site as far as it can go as a part time hobby and would like to be be paid to really develop it to the max. There really isnt ANYONE out there doing what we do and thats what you call a niche.

Dont get me wrong Im not big headed or nothing and I am here on earth but this is the stuff that dreams are made of and your entitled to your opinion. However, it will not deter me in trying.

Saying that and at the risk of showing you something else you definitely wont understand here is the URL www.sistapower.com. Remember, I never said its the greatest thing in the world I said it has huge potential.

This might be the absolute wrong audience and excuse my comments they were aimed at the so called sitepoint advisor. I guess thats why I run an affirmations site to ENCOURAGE people to believe in the impossible.

Thanks.

BTW read this too. This is exactly where all this started: http://media.aoltimewarner.com/media...e_num=55252027
    Last edited by lplplpx3; Oct 18, 2001 at 13:29.