SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so how do you deal with all browsers??

Can someone please let me know their exact process for dealing with all the different browsers....Do you write some type of script that redirects..etc etc...

Currently when I build a site, I test across many browsers until it works in all. However, this is very frustrating and leads to leaving out many features....I am sure there are much better methods...

Thanks again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You try to meet the lowest common denominator without sacrificing the aethetic quality and content of your site.

You can't please everyone and no matter how hard you try you can't comply with all browsers out there (unless you want a text only page), just remember that content should still be available when everything else fails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    designers worst nightmare everywhere
    i pretty much follow your process but i don't lean towards perfection.
    as cyberprince said...just get it to its closest best look...it doesn't have to be exactly the same throughout diff. browsers.
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There probably are features that not every browser will be able to use, however, there is almost always an equivalant cross-browser solution.

Are you thinking about anything specific that we can help you with?

And for me, I have IE 5, Opera 5, NS4, NS6 and Mozilla installed on my machine. I open my site/script in each of those, and hammer down all the issues that I can with each browser.

Hope that helps.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there aren't any technology shortcuts that I know of.

A while back I had a little app that generated it's own idea of what it thought wouldn't work in each browser. IT was better than nothing.

The problem is, generally it's not just a case of having rules that "tag 'x' doesn't render on Netscape Version X".

It's more a case of tag 'x' doesn't render on this occasion because it's placed inside a left aligned <TD> with <blockquotes> and CSS margins applied to it.

In other words, the problems are often generated by 'one-off' conflicts, specific to the code you just wrote. It's hard to 'rule-ize' it for easy future reference. In fact, there are certain legitimate combinations of CSS tags that can bring down NS4.7 in less than a second. Change the order, and their fine.

Netmechanic have a good service that's stupidly priced.
    http://www.netmechanic.com/browser-photo/tour/index.htm

Takes 15 screenshots from different systems and setups and sends them to you. It's, like, $US140 a year, but I think that only allows you one URL.

Pretty much you remember what works and test, test ...
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be to think about what browsers your audience uses. Try looking for data or find a tracker that can find this out for you, then you can deisgn just for your audience.

If you can't afford to sacrifice certain things, than just create an optional site.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually find myself more and more using server based browser detection (in my case PHP) to construct browser-specific pages, rather than spending frustrating hours trying to get a single piece of code to dance perfectly on all platforms.

It's still the same page. It just gets a slight 'refit' on it's way out the door

In the end this is actually a much quicker developmental process and gets around the inefficiency of sending the user the code for all platforms/versions and having JavaScript piece together the right bits in the browser.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AlexW,
    could you please provide me with an example of what you are talking about.....once you detect a particular browser, how exactly are you using php to construct browser specific pages...
    thanks....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on how compatible you want to be. Some people want a site to look exactly the same in every browser, some don't care what it looks like as long as it's basically functional, and others go for more of a happy medium. That's the kind of stance I take - it doesn't matter to me if it doesn't look exactly the same in IE and NS, as long as it looks fairly good in both and is functional.

My strategy is really based on experience -as I said in another thread, once you've worked with this enough you come to know before hand what will and will not work. Stick with a tabled layout, basic CSS for fonts etc., keep a spacer.gif handy....don't bother with the dHTML...
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure MVD. Not too much too it

An example is the header section on SitePoint. The very top part including the logo and the tabs renders OK in most browsers without any tweaking.

But the section just below that (particularly the subscription box) renders quite differently in each browsers, mainly because of the tight spaces and the way each browser does forms.

We have an include script that does the browser detection across the whole site. The we simply 'splice in' the section of HTML optimized fo that browser

Code:
    <!-- Start Browser dependant sub box section -->

<?
    $INCDIR = "/sitepoint.com/engine/includes/";

include ($INCDIR . "browserdetect.php");

if	(	($browser == "iewin") 	OR

($browser == "iemac") 	OR

($browser == "ie5mac") 	OR

($browser == "ie4mac")

)

include ($INCDIR . "header_ie.php");

elseif	(	($browser == "ns6")

)

include ($INCDIR . "header_ns6.php");

else	include ($INCDIR . "header_ns.php");
    ?>

<!-- END Browser dependant sub box section -->
    It's just intelligent SSIs really.

If you look at the source in IE5, NS6 & NS4 you'll see that they differ, even though they render similarly.

Generally I put the 'detect & select code' in place as I discover the problems, but I let it splice in the same code regardless of the browers for the time being. Then, as the job is wrapping up, I work through those issues one at at time, the reason being that if you're working to strict launch deadlines, you may be able to solve the problems for the lesser represented browsers after the official launch (if you have to).
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow i would like to know more about what you just showed us with PHP. Would it be possible to have some more info/exaples of it how to use it in a easy effective manner...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too would really like possibly an article on this topic. Would help greatly!
    ravio.com
    Email: corey@ravio.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm I've been looking for ideas for my next PHP article. This sounds like as good a topic as any!

If you're not already, sign up for the SitePoint Tech Times. If all goes to plan, next issue's article will be on this very subject!
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would only be a short article, but we could certainly have a look at it. I'll have a chat to Kev and see how we go.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am already signed up and eagerly await such an article if it does arrive!
    ravio.com
    Email: corey@ravio.com

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait. I always like new ways to shorten my code and make it leaner
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.