User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less and less pages in google index

Hi, a website of mine - the one in my profile - is slowly dropping out of the Google index. I know this could be temporary, but still I am kind of worried that there is something I have done wrong that should be fixed as soon as possible.

The website is just a few months old and got it's first pagerank(pr3) maybe 1 1/2 month ago.
    Up until recently it had about 80 pages indexed. Then suddenly it got down to 25. Then 23, 17. And now 15.
    Been checking all datacenters and they have either 15 or 17 pages indexed.
    All and all the website has maybe about 300 pages.

I have Google sitemaps as well as a usual sitemap. All links are plain text links except for in the blog section where I use Wordpress with mod_rewrite.

I have 301 redirect to URL's prepended with www

I have checked all the site for dead links without finding any problem.

I have really tried to make it as usable as possible with skip links and title text for more important links. I have not used any bad SEO techniques.

I hope this is just temporary, but I can't help being worried Google will drop the site alltogether.

Maybe some of you SEO-pros can help me?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I looked at your site and couldn't see that you are doing anything "wrong" except that under web tutorials you have "crowing section" that I think you meant "growing sections". I don't think they'll penalize you for a typo though.

I remember looking at your site earlier this year and I think you have a well-designed white hat site. There are two reasons I can think of for the drop in indexed pages.

1. New sites frequently get an initially high ranking and that ranking degrades over time. Keep your content updated and you'll float back to the top!

2. Check copyscape to see if other sites have pirated your content. If they have, you may be being penalized for duplicate content.

By the way... nice site!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice words

Had a look at copyscape and it looks like I have maybe one or two sentences that are alike a another Web page. I refrased those sentences just in case, but I doubt those are the reasons for my bad saturation.

More likely it's that I just recently started updating with new fresh content by connecting a blog to the site.
    Or maybe it's just a temporary thing...?

Can you think of any other reason? Is the site too small to get any of Google's attention?(I have about 300 pages)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, looked some more for duplicates with copyscape and found that some korean site used some of my articles. However, since that site has pagerank 0, I doubt this would be the reason....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having lots of pages dropped from the index seems to be happening to a lot of people. There is a pretty long thread about it over at WW.

I've noticed it too. Less total pages indexed, more old 'supplemental' pages.

I know they are crawling, but something is not right. Hopefully they'll get it worked out soon.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    About a week or so ago it seemed they rolled their index back. Just an observation. Hopefully they undo this soon as my new sites were starting to do well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I hope this is a temporary Google glitch...I am down to 13-14 pages now.

The number of indexed pages at msn.com is going up, though(257).
    At Yahoo it's around 42 - 52 pages.

Time will tell I guess...

Thanks for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the past few weeks one of my sites has gone from about 800 pages down to 75 and most of those are supplemental.

Googlebot visits my site daily, but the pages that it index don't show up.

Google has either changed it's crawling practices completely, or they are penalizing a majority of my sites for some reason which I can't figure out. Other people seem to be having similar problems, but no one has been able to identify what is going on.

The people that are doing well with the latest update point at being penalized for something, but I'm at a lost what that could be.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am lost too...between 5 - 11 pages left in Google index. Strange though that my pagerank and backlinks stays the same.
    Since I can't think of any reason for being penalized I do belive Google will start reindexing soon.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In looking over this forum for the past few days, there are several threads about lost pages in the index, adsense that isn't making sense, and vacillating page ranks. Unless everyone is hallucinating, it's apparent that Google has made some type of change in either its algorithm or its practices. I think we all need to step back and wait and see for a week or so.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you are right, Shyflower. However, adsense seem to show relevant ads. Also - as already mentioned - the pagerank and backlinks(most of the time) are the same.
    Can you point me to some of those threads?

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google seems to be making lots of changes. First big daddy and ow they have their adsense bots and googlebots both doing doubleduty. Looks like Google is a little unsettled right now. Fortunately whenever something like this happens it does eventually get straightened out and Google is better off for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Google seems to be making lots of changes. First big daddy and ow they have their adsense bots and googlebots both doing doubleduty. Looks like Google is a little unsettled right now. Fortunately whenever something like this happens it does eventually get straightened out and Google is better off for it.
    I agree, every now and then G screw something up too.
    It's better to just wait until things (rankings) settle down.
    Just keep monitoring and graphing your rankings daily and you will know when G is back on track.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a half-automated answer from Google today. They assured me that www.webpelican.com is not penaliized. That the google index is constantly spider pages....well u know the rest.

Not that I thought I was penalized, but I couldn't be really sure since I have seen a few(low-ranked) sited using some of my content.
    Down to 3 pages of a total of maybe 300-400. It seems to have stoped there and stablized at all datacenters.
    Well, at least I am not penalized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsson
    Got a half-automated answer from Google today. They assured me that www.webpelican.com is not penaliized. That the google index is constantly spider pages....well u know the rest.
    I feel your pain, but it's nice to know that our sites aren't being penelized. It seems like we can't do anything to help this situation but wait. Google won't admit it's changed something to cause this, so I'm not sure what we can really do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had something similar going on my website. Realized my pages indexed were draining down to nothing....after over 200,000 indexed pages, down to 900. I looked at my urchin stats and found that as of end of Feb, Googlebot is rarely visiting my site. About the same time we added extra security to the server so I'm having sysadmin check on that while I contacted Google for information if we were penalized or blocked at that point. Although the latest pages were indexed on April 21, seems that only 900 or so pages were indexed at that point while the other 200,000 were dropped.

Biting and frustrating....

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My situation is worse than any of you. Carlsson, would you please tell me for such questions from Google where do you write to?
    This is what I posted on April 14th.
    Hi All
    Every body is talking about unbelievable increase in PR main is just the opposite.
    I have always checked Google for my site. For last 3 years I always found that almost all of my pages were indexed by Google and my site had a PR 4. It was time for a PR5 and I was waiting for it but instead last week my site has disappeared from Google and my PR has been reduced from 4 to 3.
    The only thing I have done recently I have place a logo "e-commerce by Yahoo" on my home page and a few of pages. Could this be the reason for being thrown out of Google?
    Is there any way to find out the reason?
    And, finally what must I do, just sit and wait?
    Caro
    www.Ehealthyshopper.com/
    And this is what I posted on April 23rd
    Hi All,
    In my search on Google for finding an answer to my problem I came across this site:
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/siteoverview then clicked on my URL and went to this page:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/s...pper.com/&hl=en

In this site there are some answers to your questions:

Indexed pages in your site site:www.ehealthyshopper.com/ shows 178 pages
    Pages that refer to your site's URL allinurl:www.ehealthyshopper.com/ shows 5 pages
    Pages that link to your site link:www.ehealthyshopper.com/ shows 17 pages
    The current cache of your site cache:www.ehealthyshopper.com/ did not match any documents.
    Information we have about your site info:www.ehealthyshopper.com/ Sorry, no information is available
    Pages that are similar to your site related:www.ehealthyshopper.com/ did not match any documents.

This should be very interesting for many of you who want to find the status of your site on Google.

But back to my question, does any one knows what the above information about my site means. How is it possible that
    178 pages are indexed but cache, or any information does not exist. And most important when I type my URL in Google search box I get the "Sorry" message.

Does any of you Google "Gurus" know anything about all this and who to solve the problem?

With my best wishes for all,

Caro
    www.Ehealthyshopper.com/
    Is there any one out there who could help or give me some answer of how 2 different links of Google can give 2 different answers.

Caro
    www.Ehealthyshopper.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro
    My situation is worse than any of you. Carlsson, would you please tell me for such questions from Google where do you write to?
    Go to this page http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py
    Fill out the information and send your mail with their mail form. You will get a response from help@google.com
    There is no use trying to to use this address without first having used their form.

Looks like your main page no longer is included in Google's index. Many people have reported a drastic decrease in indexed pages, but most of them still have their main page listed. You could have a different problem.

Try mailing help@google.com(with thier mail form initially) but don't expect any more than a automated response on your first mail. Do a reply on their response. They will get back to you with a half-automated response. Do yet another reply and you propebly will get some useful info back.
    Note: Be sure not to spam their mail box. You have to reply something useful and relevant to their responses.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should me make this a sticky as i have the same problem. I like the most of you have not changed anything on the site, yet have lost over 1000 index's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to collect data on people having index problems, if you've experienced problems please comment in on my post located here

Here is my thoughts on the subject from my blog:

I'm going to try and cover the subject of Google's recent indexing activity, which is a topic I've been asked about literally dozens of times over the past view weeks. If you haven't experienced problems with Google dropping the amount of indexed pages on your site, you are certainly one of the lucky ones. I have seen a lot of people experiencing similar issues to the ones I have encountered myself.

This is an image from yourcache.com which is a neat tool I blogged about which will let you see the amount of pages you have index across different Google Datacenters. It will store the results from each enquiry you make and let you view the data over time. The screenshot is from one of the smaller sites we manage that has been live for a good time and has never had any problems with SERPs. Recently we have dropped from page 1 to page 15 for our main search term with a lot of other keywords and phrases suffering to. We are currently at rock bottom with 2 or 3 indexed pages, compared to the previous count of around 180. Normally, this would be very worrying but if you're reading this the chances are you are in the same boat as a lot of people.

So here's the million-dollar question, why is it happening? Well before we can start theorising about the cause we need to look at the problem in a bit more detail. Most people have started to report problems around the end of March or the beginning of April, around the time the Big Daddy upgrade was going up, so it would be logical to start our enquires there. I think it would be a fair assumption to say that not everybody was affected at the same time due to the new bots reaching their websites at different times. Looking at sites we manage the ones that have been affected have had a progression over 4-5 weeks, generally with them hitting rock bottom at week 3-4 then finally being re-indexed over the next week or so, but only attained around 50% of their previously indexed pages.

I have read three very interesting, if somewhat speculative, theories on what may be causing the underlying problem.

New Googlebot: The BD upgrade brought with it a Googlebot which indexes sites completely differently to the older versions. Such a large change could be bringing a whole spectrum of problems and bugs. An interesting thought would be, if the bots are gathering different information on the sites they are crawling - perhaps it is in Google's best practise to wipe clean the old indexed pages first?

Google Cache: Many different bots such as the adsense-bot, finance-bot, news-bot and google-bot will be visiting your site. Google has recently changed how they work. Rather than each bot visiting your page separately now, the bots can read cache collected by other bots. For example, if your site is visited by the ad-sense bot at 9am it will also cache a copy of the pages it visits. Now, rather than the google-bot coming along at 10am and crawling your site, it can check the cache-copy that the adsense-bot previously stored, greatly reducing bandwidth usage. A new system like this could have introduced problems; I've seen regularly updated sites and Google holding a cache copy that is 6 months old.

64-bit Datacenters: The Big Daddy Datacenters are believed to be running on a 64-bit architecture which in itself could bring in many bugs. Converting systems to 64-bit certainly does not fall into my area of expertise, so I won't comment on this - but if you have something to add, please leave me a comment.

Some people are very sceptical that Google is having any problems and this is merely an update running its course. I would point out that GoogleGuy has offered an e-mail address to those sites which are losing indexed pages, in the hope of finding some correlation between affected sites, very helpful indeed - but hardly normal practise for Google. Matt Cutts has also made numerous comments and answered questions saying that new datacenters are experiencing indexing problems, especially with supplemental results.

Recent activity like this can make it very hard for SEO agencies to explain to clients the problems that they are experiencing, even harder for those who have run successful e-commerce website which rely on their Google traffic for income. While we are on the subject of communication, I'd like to write a little about Google Sitemaps, I must say I am very impressed with the efforts Googlers are now going to, to communicate with webmasters. The new sitemaps console gives you information on your website in relation to Google's quality guidelines and lets you know if the bots encountered any trouble getting around your site. This is a remarkably useful tool which takes some of the legwork out of scrutinizing webpages for potential crawling problems. The effort of individually communicating to webmasters why their site is penalised is nothing short of a godsend (although I feel sorry for Google the amount of 'please look at my site' requests they are destined to receive).

Back on topic, I am very interested in collecting anybody else’s index data, experiences or thoughts they have on this indexing topics so please leave me a comment or question and we will try and collect some data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yesterday Google crawled all of my sites a TON. More then I have ever seen in one day.

I figured today I would see some changes, but nothing as of yet. All the pages it crawled, haven't made the index.

The new Googlebot makes me sad. I could use a tender sentiment.

Outsource Web Design featuredhost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of sites lost huge number of links , index but i doubted it could be something we did , as we did literarily nothing

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, a website of mine - the one in my profile - is slowly dropping out of the Google index. I know this could be temporary, but still I am kind of worried that there is something I have done wrong that should be fixed as soon as possible.
    No, you have not done anything wrong. The problem is with Google, not you.

So many webmasters spending so many hours trying to fix problems that don't exist just so they can appease the god of search engine crap, Google.

There isn't anything you can do. So don't waste your time trying. Instead bad-mouth Google on your websites.