SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Designer unhappy with look of typical eCom sites...

Hi,

I am still on the search for an eCom solution that meets my needs. I found pinnaclecart.com and I think what I liked the most was there very well designed store admin.

I have found that the free options (oCom, Zen etc.) have terrible user interface design.

What I really am looking for is a true Standards-Compliant option, but all I have found are UK solutions (Karova.com , SelectaCart.com) There is one US Co. called Genevate.com that has a nice, simple cart but it lacks some of the features I need.

Just wanted to start a discussion...Are there any other designers out there that feel most eCom solutions leave ALOT to be desired from a design/ user interface perspective??

Here are some eCom sites that I like:

1. http://www.asterikstudio.com/products.php

2. https://www.defunker.com/ (put a shirt in your cart and notice the simple, 2 page checkout)

3. http://www.fugitivetoys.com/

What eCom solutions are they using? Custom?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The odds are they are all custom. Custom shopping carts let you have total control over the look and feel of the site. It's rare that you find an oscommerce site that looks as good as a custom site. But it does happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the the site examples above are probably using custom PHP carts...
    If I wanted a cart similar to those, should I belooking for an experienced PHP coder to produce it for me?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Producing a custom shopping cart and checkout is probably best left to an experienced coder as portions of it, such as securely capturing customer information, needs to be done properly. The only issue you might have is some developers hear the word, "ecommerce" and suddenly their prices go up.

But, developing a basic shopping cart in and of itself isn't too difficult so if you aren't looking for and advanced functionality you might want to consider giving it a shot. Or, developing the core portion of the cart yourself and having another developer expand it for you (just be sure to comment your code).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep an eye out for Shopify. It's in beta right now, but it looks like it's going to be rather easy to make a good looking store with it.

It's hosted, so you won't have the same control over things as you would with something you had on your own servers. I think it'll have everything that most shops need, though.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out JShop server from www.jshop.co.uk. You can integrate it into any design, there's no limits, and the admin interface is superb. It's a UK cart, but that's immaterial, as it can be set up for any language/currency/country/states/tax. The new version is out in a few weeks and this is fully XHTML compliant and has an extensive reworking of the admin interface and SQL optimisation.

I had a look at selectacart - that admin interface is very poor IMO, especailly for the price they're charging.

Karova.com looks nice, they've certainly nailed that fluffy css-xhtml look that seems so popular these days. But it's a hosted solution only. I'd also like to see is an actual live demo of the backend. Also appears that they do not utilise search engine friendly urls.

Strangley, both the above carts require you accept cookies and have no backup URL session management - this in my opinion is pretty lame.