SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

popup window or standard design

I have a couple of sections in development on my web page. I understand one of the important rules in design is to keep the page consistant and I can do that with these areas however due to the nature of the area I wish to create a different look (almost as if it were a whole different page). Design wise I was wondering what you think of using popups or just replacing the whole window. Or keeping a consistent design.

Thanx
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By popups are you talking about a pre-sized window that will contain your site, or just opening a new window for the new section? I'm going to assume you mean the former..

I really dislike sites that are like that. I like to be able to control everything about the way I view a site, including every option in my browser window. Perhaps a different banner at the top, and slightly altered navigation so the basic schema would be the same, but you'd just make some minor differences which would be enough change for the eye to differentiate the sections, but not too much so it's seem like a different site.
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u mean popups like at this site: http://www.rotaractnus.org ??

i think they can look cool but i prefer to have full control of my browser... taking control away just pisses some of us out

i'd suggest you keep the layout consistent and probably the design too unless the section is really different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redemption
    u mean popups like at this site: http://www.rotaractnus.org ??

i think they can look cool but i prefer to have full control of my browser... taking control away just pisses some of us out

i'd suggest you keep the layout consistent and probably the design too unless the section is really different
    ..Close...here is the idea. I am a fan of Role playing games. The Site I am designing has a professional look. While I don't play any more I want to offer up some resources and other things that I design (gives me an excellent chanc to program with some detail). The popup is either going to be a Java applet or flash. I CAN design it to match the page but what I want is a more fantasy style theme for 'that' section.

Maelstrom
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a fantasy theme that stands out from the rest of the site. I'd go with the popup window and Flash. Just keep a few logos from your main site to bind the two together.
    Mike Stevens
    Student Web Designer and Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by STEVENS
    If you want a fantasy theme that stands out from the rest of the site. I'd go with the popup window and Flash. Just keep a few logos from your main site to bind the two together.
    Thats the idea I was heading for...something distinct but not totally overwhelming...thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ask me, I don't like webpages that work entirely on pop-up pages. That's why we have browser windows. It is yes a new experience but I think it is unecessary.

I use pop-up windows on my site but for other purposes (i.e. pictures).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The popup is either going to be a Java applet or flash
    i dislike pop ups as well..but if i get your idea right...i see nothing wrong with it.
    just try to relate it somehow to the main site and try not to overdo your pop ups
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by rush78

i dislike pop ups as well..but if i get your idea right...i see nothing wrong with it.
    just try to relate it somehow to the main site and try not to overdo your pop ups
    To be honest I hate popups as well. I just felt I wanted a pofessional looking site for my other 'interests' but this one is quite a bit different and crowd will be as well. So I want to go all out.

Thanx for the input, my sense of design is my weakness.