SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to build and optimize a web site specifically for optimum yahoo.com results...

Hi,

I'm building a new web site soon and would like to achieve high positions in directories (esp Yahoo.com). The web site would be targeted to small business owners and will be hardselling an automated follow-up marketing solution.

At the moment, I'm brainstorming ways to describe this project and possible domain names to use. If anyone knows any web sites that can help me with this I'd be very grateful.

However, the reason I'm writing is to get some advice on how I can build the site to get a high listing in Yahoo.com. I know all the basics, but I know you guys have dozens of insider tips waiting to be revealed!

A few things I'd like to know in particular are, where can I find popular keywords (since Goto.com's inventory page is down now) and if Yahoo.com's new format/algo means anything, or whether the same rules apply.

I can't wait to hear your responses.

Thanks,

Zahid Saddique

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing a directory can base your search ranking off of is keywords found in:

• You're URL
    • You're Category Name
    • You're Title
    • You're Description

These rules generally hold true for all directories, not just Yahoo.

Category name is the highest weighted one so be sure to apply to a category with the right keyword in it.

Most directories have rules about keywords in the title and the description. Your best bet here however is to name your site with keywords in it and then try to sneak them in in the description.

Now sites are also ranked alphabetically in their individual categories. If your category has 100 listings you NEED to be on top.

So have your title start with a number or the letter A (Al's Good Site or AAA Resources etc)

Finally you're URL is the only thing the directory people cannot change. So cram it with as many keywords as possible. And because of how their programs work you need to separate the keywords with hyphens.

So, if you run a small business site and the keyword you're interested in is "Small business" this would be the best stuff you could do.

Title: 123 Small Business Resources
    URL: http://www.123-small-business.com
    Desc: Resources for a small and growing business including charts, graphs, and....

If you did this you would be listed either at the top or the very top in the directory and you'd probably come up first in search results.

Now, in yahoo they also have most popular sites listed at the top of large categories. A #1 search position can get you into the popular listings usually within a month or 2.

If your topic is for small businesses but something more specific then change your title and url to get that more specific keyword.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything Aspen has said is spot on. Follow these guidelines, and you'll be singing "YAHOO!" at the top of your voice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great URL to try...

Here's a great URL I found when searching for hints about how to do search engine ranking. Hope it helps.

http://www.bruceclay.com/web_rank.htm

April
    TEAMWORK is the fuel that allows common people
    to produce uncommon results.