Thread: Coldfusion CMS?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coldfusion CMS?

Hello,
    I'm a web developer/designer who wants to start taking clients (I've got a few potential ones lined up already). I've realized that it would be wise for me to offer CMS-enabled sites to clients who would like to be able to easily update their content. Here's my dilemma:
    I've taken a course in Coldfusion and have developed a few simple applications as part of the class. I am by no means an expert, but I REALLY like Coldfusion and plan to continue learning more. I don't think I'm at the point of being able to develop my own CMS so I was looking around at what's available out there in the open source community to use in the meantime because I really want to start working with clients and build my portfolio. However, it seems like the vast majority of open source CMS's out there are PHP/MySQL-based. They seem to have the features I'm looking for as well as tons of people developing extensions and plug-ins for them. But I honestly want to stick to ColdFusion if I possibly can.
    I know about Far Cry, but is that the only one? There don't seem to be many add-ons for it (the only one listed on the Far Cry site is the 'friendly URL' plugin) or a strong developer community to go to for support (at least I haven't found it). I've also looked into CFnuke and CFextreme, but those projects look dead. Also as I'm just starting out, I don't want to spend any money on a CMS (call me cheap...)
    Anyway, I was hoping to not have to switch to PHP, but it's looking like that unless somebody out there can point me to a Coldfusion solution and/or let me know that there's more to Far Cry than I've been able to find. It just seems weird to me that there aren't more choices for CF developers, given how powerful and popular CF is.
    thanks,
    Tony

SitePoint Enthusiast CF_HeavyWeight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more CMS items available in CF. Do a google on ColdFusion Custom Tags and you will find some sites that list custom tags for sale or free. Look there for an alternate.

BTW, in my 10+ years of experience developing websites for clients I have found that CMS's are usually beyond their comprehension and they end up paying me to do the work anyway. Due to the restrictions of size, layout, content volume and other issues I have found that they end up dissatisfied with that they do, or plain just don't have the time to do it.

I have clients today that I started with over 10 years ago! I may do one small project a year for them making changes, or may do a change a month. All pay my rates gladly as I am fairly priced (not cheap) and I get it done the way they want it.

Also, just to encourage you... I have been using ColdFusion since version 1.1 of Allaire! I STILL think it is the best language out there!! People LOVE php, but I find it obtuse and WAY to much work to code. CF is MUCH faster in production too!! .Net, ASP, why use MS? CF for me!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice and the encouragement. Believe me -- I definitely want to stick with CF. I have also noticed that a lot of CMS's out there seem like they would be a bit too complex for the average non-technical end-user. Because You almost have to have a developer's background to use them correctly (which defeats the purpose, doesn't it?). I think it's because most of the CMS's out there are built to let users edit the structure of their site as well as the content. I'm happy to just use xhtml and css to structure my sites and I only need my clients to have the control of the "content" part of the CMS.

Maybe I'll start simply and give my clients a CF/database-powered admin section where they can edit and update content and images (that should be well within my abilities). And as I learn to do more in ColdFusion, I can eventually develop my own full-featured (yet user-friendly) CMS.

Thanks again.

SitePoint Enthusiast CF_HeavyWeight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once decided to give a client an extremly simple way to chage some text on page. So simple I can't really call it CMS. What I did was take the "blocks" of code on the page(s) that they wanted to be able to edit and placed them in table cells that could have some 'flex" for varying text lengths without messing up the design integrity. This text was taken from table records so I could change it easily. What I then did was give the client a secret URL code (?ChngStuf=1) that triggered my code to display a very small icon in each block that they could edit and to turn on the border of the block in red so it was obvious what they were affecting.

Clicking the icon spawned a "_blank" page that loaded the correct text into the ActivEdit tag allowing them simple text abilities. Saving the updated text to DB, closed the browser and forced a refresh on the original page. Changes instantly displayed! They were thrilled. It was extremely easy for them to use and yet it gave them the ability to make their minor changes without calling me.

all in all, we felt it was an affordable compromise for them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold Fusion CMS

Have you checked out Synopsis? It is relatively new from what I can tell, but seems to have a lot of features. http://www.synopsis-cms.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

It also costs $15,000.. Why, I have no idea..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting... they're using Rick Root's CFFM as their file manager