I'm currenlty working with TrueType fonts in PHP and the lack of support is really irritating me...

The last time I tried using the free type library I was trying to create titles for my news page in a specific font... I tried using the function that gets the coordinants of the outter edge to get the height and width to size the graphic but "y"'s and "g"'s kept getting cut off... Still do...

Now I'm needing to do the same thing (this time it has to work right) but I also need to be able to get the name of the true type font (that's stored inside the file), regardless of what the file name is. I've been googling all over and I cant seem to figure it out....

The idea is for the user to be able to pick a font for a signature graphic. If they dont like the font, they can upload their own. I want to be able to display the names of the font is a combo box and have a display of the font below when you pick it... Simply displaying the file name is going to work because the custom uploaded fonts will have the user's id in it (or something else)....And I cant trust the user to put the font name in, I would like the actual name...

Anyone know what to do?

( Does anyone know what version of the FreeType library comes with php4? )