SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question regarding bandwidth optimization and PHP

I've been trying to optimize my site as much as possible to keep things running fast and to reduce bandwidth, but I think I need to clear up a few misconceptions I might have.

I have a header.php file where I hold all of the validation functions I use for the rest of the site. It weighs about 8kb. But, when I load a page, and save it to my desktop, the page will weigh a mere 1.5 kb.

Does that mean that the entire header.php file is not loaded? Does bandwidth only account for what is echo-ed to the browser?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PHP script weight

The weight of the scripts will (maybe) affect server load, but bandwidth is only what is transferred in response to the request. For example, if you have script that queries a large database it will slow down the response to the request, but once the server proccesses the script then the download speed is affected by the output weight.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sp0om
    Does bandwidth only account for what is echo-ed to the browser?
    Yes, as that is the only data transferred over the network from your server to the viewer.