User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser check please ;)

Could peeps have a look at this page. In IE 5.5 & 5 it behaves reasonably, in NS4.7, despite style issues, it looks pretty much as it should, yet in IE 6, it looks far from pretty. I was hoping someone with NS6/6.1 could check it out and see if the same problem occurs. (Headers way to big).

Thanks,

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a screenshot of the top of it with NS6.1:
    http://aplusfreestuff.com/temp/nc.jpg
    The sizing is a bit off near the top in the center, and your textboxes seem to have shrunk (maybe use pixel sizing there?)... but the headers are behaving

In IE6 it does seem to be centering the text in the center near the top, and I see what you mean about the headers.

I saved your page so I could play with it a bit, and when I took out the doctype it worked fine in IE 6... no idea why but it fixed the problem I think.

I can't check it right now on IE 5.5 but if I have a chance later I will and grab a screenshot for you.
    Last edited by LunaC; Oct 9, 2001 at 04:24.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bugger bugger bugger - forgot about the text box issue!!! Got it resizing for NS 4.7, but not 6.1 .

The header does seem OK - good news, thanks. That just leaves bugs in pesky IE 6 to iron out. Thanks again LunaC

H

edit- hmmm - doc type. That could be the issue. It was designed to be pure xhtml but the waters have been muddied somewhat with ongoing modifications. I'll have to clean the code up or abandon the doctype methinks.
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Oct 9, 2001 at 04:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, I'm back (rebooted into the other drive to check for you... the things I do while avoiding my own work )

It looks great in IE 5.5, no problems that I could see at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems fine on IE6.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great on IE6 now
    I know what you mean about doctypes being a problem sometimes... I've had the same thing happen before, that's how I knew to try that first.

How important is it to include doctypes in a page? I often can't seem to get quite the right one and end up taking it out entirely to avoid problems. Is there a good way to find out which doctype is right?

(I love that "note tucked into the page" idea! If you don't mind, may I borrow that idea from you at some time?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to keep to w3c standards. Problems were hit when we tried to use topmargin="0" in the body tag. The validator didn't like it - but not having it ruined the page. Unfortunately things got a little sloppy from there.
    The doctype definition is crucial if you want to use the validator, and useful for robots and browsers alike, but I do get the impression that it is not essential as yet. Glad you liked the business card. If ya borrow it - just make it better and let me know

H