Thread: Affiliate?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Affiliate?

Hi,

I recently contacted a business about displaying their products on my site for a discounted fee; as I thought that extra advertising was worth a weekly sale. They agreed, but now we are left wondering how when the user clicks to buy the product on my page and is redirected to their site, how they will know the customer came from my page? Are there any programs to track this?

Or should we just stick a codeword at the top of my page, and they input it when buying? Although I really want this business to do as little work possible, as they are really doing me a favour.

Thanks,
    Gallivan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you getting paid for clicks or sales? If it's clicks, the easiest way to do this would be to append ?site=mysite to the URL they're clicking on. This will appear in the logs at the other site and can be counted easily with a program like awstat (it shows up as a referrer).

If it's sales I would ask them add an image source tag to the order thank you page that only gets requested if you were the referrer for the order. The source tag should point back to your site and grab a 1x1 clear gif pixel.

Every time that image is requested you should get paid.

I've been using those two since the early nineties.

I also came across a nice free script that uses PHP, Ajax and a MySQL database to help you track links that are being clicked on your site.

It looks like a winner. You can download it from Ekstreme.com. I am not affiliated with the site in any way. I just downloaded the script myself and glanced at it. It looks pretty solid. I would use something like this as a way to audit your clicks and/or sales against the other site's.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting paid for sales.

EDIT:

Also, what does ?site do actually? If my website is www.mysite.com and their's is www.retail.com, how would I set up this code?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tracking sales requires, at the least, adding some code to the last page of the checkout process. It's really something they have to do not you if they want the ability.

158 scripts that track affiliate sales

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Dan's right. But it's not unreasonable and it's not that difficult. And I would STILL track the click from your site to theirs.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say you're really better off selling them traffic on a CPC basis. Without knowing more about the product, $0.50 per click may be fair for both of you.
    Don Lair
    GetItCheap.com - Earn cash back online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get them to invest in a proper affiliate tracking system.

-Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

If you have any interest about watch,please feel free to contact me at sales@replica-watch-part.com. We have gotten proper affiliate tracking system.