SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lock font size for element? Min,max font size?

Hi guys. I am having problems in some areas of my site with users resizing text. I was thinking of just having a set font size that is unresizeable. How can I do this? Is there a way to set the min or max size of a font (like with height and width). I know I could just use pictures but that uses more bandwith (and is harder to change).

axel

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - users of good browsers will always (quite rightly) be able to change the font-size.

Any alternatives are either way way too much hassle and or poor accessibility-wise.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bite the bullet and make your site elastic and then this won't be an issue as we had discussed the other day.

Using CSS well is a big skill to learn (one I still have much to learn in myself), but building sites in an elastic manner, as you have seen, is required of professional developers (at least amongst my peers in NYC) and should be easy for you to do if you are or going to be serious about writing CSS with any frequency. Otherwise all your sites will always "break" when the users system is not using default browser settings.

Restricting your users is not what using web standards is about - it is about empowering and enabling the user - your site should ideally be flexible enough to accomodate them.

One of the things I love about Flash (although it has its down sides too) is that what I draw is what my end users sees - just as I drew it (unlike HTML/CSS).

All of these techniques and technologies have their pros and cons, but with practice the hard stuff becomes easy regardless of the approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you are right. but I cannot get it working. I will bite the bullet. The problem I am really having is with my horizontal blue bar at the top and with my tabs. I used EMs for them but when I resized text elements started overlapping other elements (e.g. the tabs went under blue bar). Anyone have any good tutorials for fixing stuff like this (besides the alistapart one wozbk posted)?

Thanks wozbk for forcing me to "bite the bullet".

axel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by applenerd View Post
    Yeah, you are right. but I cannot get it working. I will bite the bullet. The problem I am really having is with my horizontal blue bar at the top and with my tabs. I used EMs for them but when I resized text elements started overlapping other elements (e.g. the tabs went under blue bar). Anyone have any good tutorials for fixing stuff like this (besides the alistapart one wozbk posted)?

Thanks wozbk for forcing me to "bite the bullet".

axel

Sorry to bump this thread back up but I was wondering if what kind of solution you came up with for this issue. I guess I could use images instead of text but I'd rather not.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello,

You just don't give elements fixed heights or make a layout that requires things to be absolutely positioned.

If all elements are floated and cleared - or left in the normal flow of the document - and no heights are set on elements - Things will be fine and dandy.

Bulletproof Web Design is an excellent book that looks at these issues in detail.