User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast amrithsagar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Animated Logo....shud i use it

I think no one has yet done this...I'm designing a business website and i am thinking about using flash to create an animated text logo...[i have tried it and looks decent like any other business logo] i want to know if this is desirable or is not allowed or is against business ethics...plz guide me

Thanks
    Amrith
    Last edited by amrithsagar; Oct 5, 2001 at 22:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as you keep it in check, so to speak, I think it would work very well.

Just refrain from making it large and bulky -- and most of all distracting!

Do not make it distracting! Just make it fit into the context of the page well while adding a tinge of flair, and you'll have a winning combination.

Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Enthusiast amrithsagar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking is it ok

i appreciate your comments and for this reason i used only text animation...but one thing which is haunting me, will this hinder my business website look...this is first time i'm designing a business website...plz don't mind but i need some more assurance to go ahead..

thanks
    Amrith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use animations for several business logos. It looks great on the web and as long as the logo is reconizable on paper it's okay. Just dont go over board, like a litle glimmer or slight letter movent adds an effect and makes the logo stick in the mind better.
    Microsoft's Motto: Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

My dog's name is Jade; she is a Miniature pinscher.
    Click here to see some of her pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as it is kept in-line with the things I mentioned above, I don't think it will have any detrimental effects on your site.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's OK to have an animated logo. But keep in mind that repeated anamation may be distracting or annoying.

Just because its a busness site dosen't mean that it can't be fun and engaging. Right.

Even big blue's home page, http://www.ibm.com, has an anamated gif that focuses the IBM logo when you load the page. If you miss it the first time just refresh.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doable, but IMO, not recommended. I have seen a few animated logos that are okay, and even fewer that I'd term excellent. I'm not a fan of alot of animation on a page. That being said, I trust you'll know what looks good and is acceptable...so have at it.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not recommend it. If you create a Flash Logo instead of a normal one, it may not appear if your user's browser does not support Flash. The logo is very important in identifying where your users are. It also provides the overall brand and fell of your site. Not being sure if it will always be there is a risk.

Try other alternatives of provide them instead.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Like the last couple of people said, I would advise against it as well. Here's a real-world example that might sway your decision. Say that someone comes to your site looking to buy x product or y product. They don't have the Flash plugin installed because they think it carries a virus or something strange like that (Luddites? ). Anyway, instead of downloading and installing the plugin (because they're using a 28.8k modem and a p90), they click away from your site.

Is it worth the loss of a sale just for the sake of coolness? You decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it done on a few sites. It really looked quite effective. The only problems I saw with them were;
    a) it got really annoying after a while cos as the text changed it would catch my eye while I was trying to read the content.
    b)The designer had made a flash and html version of the site but still included the flash logo on the html site.

Anyways, I don't know much about flash myself but yerr..
    coiL
    "cradled in the learning curve"