Results 1 to 3 of 3
Mar 24, 2006, 07:10 #1
Should I use PHP for this simple site?
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me decide whether I should use PHP for this site (rather than use a CMS or static HTML pages).
Simple Multiple Artist Info Website for Managing Agent.
Simple Managing Agent Home Page. Header, contact details (fixed). Table/list of artists. Each artist has name, thumbnail image, and some artists website link. (must be able to be updated and added to)
Artists Page. Each artist page will be similar with exactly the same layout. Picture of artist, list of downloadable files such as bios and images. (must be able to be updated and added to by user)
More info: There will only ever be one user. I'd need some kind of form where he can add, remove or update an artist and their links and images. He'll also be able to use the screen to FTP his files to the server.
Should I make this in PHP? I've done a little bit before so I know a few basics.
Looking at these requirements I believe that I only need to make the following:
1. A PHP Admin Screen which is basically a list of artists with 'update' and 'delete' buttons next to them, and an 'add new artist' button at the bottom.
2. A PHP Artist Admin Screen which is a form listing current uploaded files for that artist. Each file has a 'delete' or 'modify' button. There is an 'add' button next to an empty field to add new files. Hopefully you could browse your PC and select the file to upload it to the artist's directory. The page would then refresh once uploaded showing the new file along with all the others. I would probably have a maximum of 15 files per artist.
3. A PHP home page with a HTML header but a dynamically generated list of artists. Thumbnail along with a couple of other fields for each artist.
4. A PHP artist page which has links to all the files added in the admin screen. i.e artist.php?name_of_artist
5. I would need to set up a database.
Is that all I would have to do? Or am I missing big chucks of code?
I appreciate all kinds of input. Thanks in advance.
Mar 24, 2006, 07:18 #2
- Join Date
- Oct 2005
- South Wales, UK
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Only if you have a high knowledge of PHP, classes, OOP etc should you look at coding all this yourself. Personally I'd use a CMS.OMFG SitePoint ROXORZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Wish you were invisible?
Mar 24, 2006, 07:46 #3
I have no knowledge of classes or OOP but surely I'd just need to make the four pages I mentioned, plus create a database. Looking at the requirements I actually thought this would be a good beginners exercise. I probably am that nieve
I've looked into CMSs but they looked harder to hack into the shape I wanted than to learn PHP. I haven't seen a CMS that would be able to 'create new artist page' and then also update the front page with this artist at the same time. They all seem great for changing news items and some content but my user is computer illiterate and would just like to click a browse button, select a file to upload and give the link to it a name all in a simple 2 field form.