SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Embedding Data or Writing to .TXT

Hi. I am building a web page that has a form. I want the user to be able to fill out the form and then when they click submit, the data is saved to a .txt file. I was going to FTP the .txt to the place that hosts my webspace. I am having problems writting to the .txt file using javascript. I originally wrote the page in VBScript. I didn't know if writing in VBScript would be the way to go instead. I was curious as if VBScript had more read & write capability than javascript?? From my noobish experience i dont really know. Just a thought. I had problems with putting text on the main page with vbscript. I couldn't take what they had typed in a text box and put it on the main frame of the webpage as a link with 'HTTP://' in front of it. I figured this out and re-wrote the entire page in javascript. I know have the bugs worked out. I only need to save what the users input into the fields on the web page so that it will load up when they(or some else) visits the site again. I thought cookies would be a bad idead so i ruled that out immediatly. I thought about ColdFusion and the.php files. I dont know anything about ColdFusion. I then just thought I could have each person write to a .txt file that I FTPd to my ISP. This way the .txt would update and the js code on my webpage would load the data to my page and then display it. Does anyone think that could work??

If .txt files are out of the question, then how do I embed or save the information on the webpage. Thanks alot! Sorry for the lengthy post.

-crazedEggbeater

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u have to use a server side script to write data on files or to database...
    javascript can only help you to do that job faster with ajax..
    cheers