User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

search engine help please

trying to set up a search engine on a site. created a database using access 2002. searching for script to interact with it. unix server with mysql pre installed. new to database driven site any help or links would be appreciated. trying to create a little yahoo. have links, descriptions and index set up in dbase. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing a search engine is trivial... once you have data in your database

Here are a few possible options:

1)
    Export it as a tab delimited text file
    Create the tables in mysql
    Import the data into mysql

Advantage: Once you get the hang of it, it becomes routine and simple.

Disadvantage: Modifications to your database will not be live until you've imported the data. You'd need to export/import the new data file everytime you alter the access database. Once you get the hang of it, you've already have mastered one of the other options.

OR

2)
    If your Access database doesn't have much data in it, I'd recommend you replicating it into mysql and manage your database through either through mysql or with a mysql manager, like phpMyAdmin

Advantage: No use of Microsoft Access at all, changes to database are live. PhpMyAdmin provides an easy-to-use and user friendly environment.

OR

3)
    If you MUST use Access, you can look into MyODBC. It is an ODBC driver that connects to a mysql database. With it properly configured, you can make changes to the mysql database directly through Access 2002.

Advantage: Manage mysql with Microsoft Access, changes to database are also live.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks cupid,
    I accessed my sql on the server and entered sample raw data to try it out. Can you tell me where I might be able to find a script to interact with it. Or point me in the direction of a quick and easy tutorial. I would really appreciate it as I don't have much time to get this finished. Thanks a Lot
    Janis