SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Innovative Advertising?

Hello again

I've been looking for some NEW/INNOVATIVE methods of integrating advertising on my site. Banners may not be dead but they sure are in very poor health. So I've switched to exploring various methods of integrating text links into my content in an effort to stimulate some activity. I recently discovered something I'd like to try but the problem is to use the technology I'd have to spend a LOT of time earning 'points' to support the program. The system is called 'SmartRules' and it basically amounts to two thin horizontal rules with text ads stuck between them...the nice thing is the text ads change every twenty seconds and there is an eyecatching color rotation happening between the rules that really attracts attention. < check our 'Clickers: SmartRules': http://26z.net/cl/index.php3...I've left my referring url intact because if I remove it the link doesn't seem to work > < mod edit> The 'smart rules' work just fine without your affiliate link </mod edit>

The reason I'm really intrigued by 'SmartRules' is that I played around with a similar concept before using some scripts from JavaFile but about the best I could achieve was a two-color alternating combo with text links that only changed when the surfer changed pages or refreshed. I was getting some pretty decent clickthru numbers though. The only reason I removed the scripts is because they were causing some problems with my HTML optimizer program.

I'm not much of a programmer and I've checked virtually every JavaScript/DHTML site that I know of looking for something that I can modify to create my own 'SmartRules' so I don't have to spend the next 20 YEARS racking up 'Clicker Points' to use them. Anyone seen anything else like 'SmartRules' or has anyone implemented any outrageous text ad program that was just freaky enough to work that they are willing to share?

I'm open to suggestions!
    Last edited by freakysid; Oct 5, 2001 at 02:51.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, you might want to try out a cross browser marquee if you have not already. You can find one atDynamic Drive. I use a modified version of it at AdBizStocks if you want to see it in action. My implementation is not for affiliate links but could just as well be used for that. HTH.
    John
    AdBizInfo - Online Advertising Resource
    Top10Links - Directory Of Top Sites
    MovieRumors - Movie Message Board

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a javascript to rotate color like that every 1 or 2 seconds would not be at all complicated. I suggest posting in the client side scripting forum or perhaps buying a book on javascript.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MOD: I tried the following URL and it didn't work http://26z.net/cl/...for some reason I didn't think to try the URL by just eliminating the ?usr=totenmas...sorry!

JohnKelly...Thank You but I tried DynamicDrive and I didn't see anything I liked. I'm gonna go check out your site in a few though and see what ya did!

Aspen...I've purchased several books on JavaScript <
    BTW...my wife says that if I buy any more 'puter stuff she's gonna move ALL my stuff into my office...PERMANENTLY...OUCH! > I'm just not that good at programming...modified cut-n-paste is more my forte'! The thing is I want to rotate the colors, the links, and be able to call the script remotely! Beyond me at the moment I'm afraid...guess I'll keep lookin'

Thank You everyone for your help and keep the suggestions coming please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HMMMM...

'me thinks I may have figured it out! Now if I can only find a better rotator script I'll be set!

Thanks for everyone's help!!!