Thread: ASP Upload

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP Upload

Hi All! I reviewed the forum posts all the way back to May but did not see any on this subject. I am working on a real estate website which will display listings of houses for sale. I would like to build a page which uploads 5 jpegs at a time and stores the pathnames for these photos in a database so that when website visitors view details about the house, the page will dynamically display that house's 5 photos.

I know this involves ASP Upload and my host has enabled it for my account. I have reviewed the code samples provided by Persist (the maker of ASPUpload) and I've looked for online tutorials but not found any. So far I have done my asp coding with UltraDev but now I would like to hand-code and really understand what's going on behind the scenes. Any suggestions? ideas? tutorials that anyone knows about?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seabelle,

Have you looked at Persists manual for ASPUpload, rather than the code sample, as it seems to cover most bases.

http://www.aspupload.com/Manual.htm

The 'Working with FILES and FORM Collections' example seems to be the one you want. The only extra bit you'd need to do is add a file path entry into the db for each file in the uplload collection, which should be fairly straight forward.

There's a number of examples at the following site which may help.
    http://www.activeservers.com/compone...ples/INDEX.HTM
    Last edited by shane; Oct 5, 2001 at 14:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you want to get into hard coding, I don't believe this is the place to do it (Upload is more advanced, I believe). However, i guess any place is good to start.

Usually these modules have functions that you call that perform certain tasks. You shouldn't have to hard code much.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane, thanks for the links, they're fantastic! I'm looking through them now and there's a lot to digest.

Goober, thanks for the feedback, I'm relieved to hear it should not be too painful of a task!

Let the fun begin!

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by goober
    Well, if you want to get into hard coding, I don't believe this is the place to do it (Upload is more advanced, I believe). However, i guess any place is good to start.

Usually these modules have functions that you call that perform certain tasks. You shouldn't have to hard code much.
    My very simple upload class is 150lines, my advanced one, which I'm still writing, it 200 so far.

Its not that easy

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is as loopy as dhtmlgod, and writing their own upload code, the links below might be of help.

As the examples are written entirely in script they'll also be of use to others who can't install components on a hosted site.

http://www.aspzone.com/articles/john/aspUpload/
    http://www.asp101.com/resources/visi...dex.asp?page=2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dhtmlgod

My very simple upload class is 150lines, my advanced one, which I'm still writing, it 200 so far.

Its not that easy
    hehe. I'm not saying that it's simple for the programmer. I'm saying that it should be able for a programmer to use the functions provided by a third-party script/company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand the need for these 3rd party components. I would think you could write an ASP page that proccesses the form and the file, then dumps the file's binary data into a database.

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Wes, I have never used a 3rd party component where it's been easily enough to write it myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, but what if you're new to hard-coding things? Wouldn't you only want to code beginner-type stuff first instead of jumping right into Uploading and other more advanced things?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Goober!! Finally someone who is listening to my original post for this thread! Don't get me wrong, my goal is to become a Super Coder and do everything by hand from scratch so that I can truly understand the ins/outs of asp and be able to help people like you guys do on this forum. Plus, the obvious benefit is that it's infinitely easier to debug your errors when you understand every piece of the code.

But Rome wasn't built in a day and I can only squash so much into my brain, and this is not the only website I am working on right now. When deadlines are calling and the client's payment to you is based on meeting that deadline, you need to make good decisions about how to get the job done properly but efficiently.

I have appreciate Site Point to the fullest and I refer all my asp buddies here to read the articles and research the archives. I hope that one day I will be able to return the favors by reaching the point where I can give back to the forum and answer questions.

In the meanwhile, I am using tools like ASPUpload to help me to develop the page I mentioned in my original post (see first post in this thread).

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASPUpload is a good idea. If you need any help using it I could try to dig up something for you.

Seabelle, they mean well, you know.

Hehe it's just that many of us can't remember when we couldn't do advanced things with ASP. You'll reach that point, I did in a few months.

I look forward to helping you on your ASP journeys.

'Till next time..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I enjoyed reading the banter going on, but was glad when Goober mentioned us still-somewhat-clueless asp'ers. I give all my thanks to everyone on Site Point, without this Forum I'd probably have thrown my computer out the window a while back!!