User Tag List

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    I always meant to ask you, slinky, re your site. You created an awesome looking site (based on Dan's script) and i always wondered how things were going. Is it pretty search engine friendly? Do people return? Do you think it is possible these days to get a lot of visitors/interest in such a site? ie with so many sites around.

If datemill is search engine friendly, I think it will be the one that I go with.

Alicia may look nice, but Dan has been in this game a lot longer and he's a great person to work with.

PS - like we said in email last year, we could maybe share the cost of any enhancements on the new script.
    Strawberries - sorry I didn't see your reply earlier. Things on my site were going pretty well but I just fell into another business that took up a LOT of my time. Amazingly with no effort I got about 1,000 members - but I have a niche market. The challenges I had were in different areas including people trying to hack the site and need for IM, which I didn't have time to implement. I also didn't get to approving members quickly enough, got hit with a TON of spammers, mostly from Africa and India. I'm ready to either sue or hire a trash disposal expert to handle the Americans who are paying these people $10 a day to spam the bejesus out of your site.

I really do not think that SEO will play a large part in a dating site for profile pages. It's more about marketing your site properly in general and being able to cater to your audience. My new site with an equally great domain is more of a community play with the SEO coming from that area to support the dating effort. There is a method to this madness.

Alicia - what can I say except she's the girl you want to love but keeps giving you the headache and never shows up.

I'm back in the game and will touch base with Dan about what's going on under the hood again. I still maintain a year later that the etown script he put up is still the best buy without comparison. All that crap we read about others puffing their virtues never materialized as many of us new and there is still mostly mediocrity out there. If I can't find that this is what I need I will seriously put some money into this new script and may invest a few thousand to get done what I need.
    My site for law answers and legal information -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dancaragea
    strawberries: a dating site is not the same with a social networking site. I think they both have their strong points and one will not kill the other. A networking site is usually focused on sharing everything to everybody while a dating site is focused on searching for others. The border between the 2 is thin but it exists...

Then dating sites are niche sites by themselves: they focus on 5-10-20 fields (I am a man, looking for a women, for casual sex, etc).
    Networking sites favor large amount of information in text format which are not searchable in this manner - they usually go with tags and full text search.
    Very, very true. In the business we call a dating sites "pick up" where social community networking sites are more "friends and family." There is a cross section although they are not exactly one and the same. I'm going to have to see exactly how I'm going to handle this since it's difficult to say that someone will want to invest time into writing a profile for a dating area AND creating a personal page. I may roll the two up into one for reasons of dealing in MY niche and create a basic template for profiles and the ability for the person to either add or leave empty the rest.

I think the myspace phenomenon has made many typically rational people lose their minds and create non-compelling reasons why they should try to scale the same mountain and relate myspace to any good or silly idea that pops into their heads. I think your best bet is to really be clear about what it is you REALLY want to accomplish at the end of the day. If it's dating, then do the dating site and put a few extra perks that will either differentiate it or enrich the site that can become a niche favorite within your target demographic. I'm sure you'll do a great job and find success with fine execution.
    My site for law answers and legal information -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is phpfox good enough yet to be able to modify the design uup to a certain extend and make it live to users? appreciate any feedback from current site owners of phpfox

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

nice looking site, Kat.

It is wonderful when you have a designer/coder who is both highly skilled and on the same wavelength as yourself.

thanks for that name - i must make a note of it, if i need someone in the future. Tho I always intended to seek out some of those freelancer type sites fo rsuch work.

We should keep in touch. I do know that another person in here (slinky) is keen to explore the possibilities of contributing resources into enhancing/creating a great dating script. I can also contribute 500 to 1000 dollars in such a pursuit.

PS - that jsoul site i mentioned earlier, is one that slinky had enhanced.

Where's slinky when you need him/her....Can any one do a modified skin for a forum please pm me...$$$paypal

thx

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Where's slinky? $$$

nice looking site, Kat.

It is wonderful when you have a designer/coder who is both highly skilled and on the same wavelength as yourself.

thanks for that name - i must make a note of it, if i need someone in the future. Tho I always intended to seek out some of those freelancer type sites fo rsuch work.

We should keep in touch. I do know that another person in here (slinky) is keen to explore the possibilities of contributing resources into enhancing/creating a great dating script. I can also contribute 500 to 1000 dollars in such a pursuit.

PS - that jsoul site i mentioned earlier, is one that slinky had enhanced.

Where's slinky when you need him/her....Can any one do a modified skin for a forum please pm me...$$$paypal

thx

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lgtoday
    Rub the bottle and just say my name three times, lol. Just got your PM and will respond there...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh, i had prepared a big long detailed post and then my pc crashed.

Argh! There are occasional times when you wanna throw the pc out the window!

I'll be back when I get some free time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpfox, has a good community. Very helpful people.
    GhettoTube.com
    For Life

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so far from the concept of social networking software as it's been discussed here I should probably just start a new thread but but I always yell at people on my forums for starting new threads when there are old ones that fit so I'll try this first.

I'm looking to start a live-journal type disability support community. I want to go more in the direction of social network than multuser blog, but stay far out of myspace territory. The focus will remain on user writings still.

Features I want:

• Ability of users to create own special interest groups with own subscription lists and permissions. (you know, like livejournal). Ideally groups will have themeable homepages with content aggregates giving each an independent sense of "place." Users will be able to create own area allowing them to "visit" each other.
    • user themeable blogs
    • Buddy lists with user tracking
    • threading
    • tagging
    • RSS
    • email update notification

So far I've spent months trying to do something with the drupal organic groups module and got close to the functionality I wanted but the OG functionality just isn't quite there yet. I also get the feeling that the drupal devs are really moving away from blogging as a primary focus.

I looked at elgg when it was younger but it was no where near ready for prime time. It's probably going to be what I try next.

Most recently I've been using this as an excuse to try and teach myself zope3 since I hate php anyway. That's not going so well.

Any other suggestions? I prefer open source but commercial isn't out of the question as long as it will run on apache.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this time I'll try suggesting something new

You could try
    vBulletin +
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127303 +
    http://www.siradrian.com/products/vblogetin/info/

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have SO been waiting for Sabres 'groups' hack! Thanks for posting.

That blogetin looks interesting, too. Have you seen it live?
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    Well, this time I'll try suggesting something new

You could try
    vBulletin +
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127303 +
    http://www.siradrian.com/products/vblogetin/info/
    Cool. Do you think I'll be able to integrate my IPB forum into either of these?

*ducking*

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I have SO been waiting for Sabres 'groups' hack! Thanks for posting.

That blogetin looks interesting, too. Have you seen it live?
    Yes, I have. Check PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetElvis
    Cool. Do you think I'll be able to integrate my IPB forum into either of these?
    Of course. If you "upgrade" to vbulletin
    If you don't you would have to spend a huge amount of money to get someone to port these hacks. But since those will get updates regularily that would be a waste of time. Furthermore, I doubt you'll get permission from the authors.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Alicia - what can I say except she's the girl you want to love but keeps giving you the headache and never shows up.
    She has arrived!
    http://demo.phpizabi.net/

Can't write more...must go see what she's about.

ETA

Eh... She's 'cute' but nothing special

Lately, Drupal has been the object of my affections, ever since I found out that it powers MTV's new Flux site... Simply beautiful...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has arrived!
    http://demo.phpizabi.net/

Can't write more...must go see what she's about.

ETA

Eh... She's 'cute' but nothing special

Lately, Drupal has been the object of my affections, ever since I found out that it powers MTV's new Flux site... Simply beautiful...
    Have they solved the problem of combining ACL modules? That was somthing I kept running into trying to do OG based social networking. I needed to be able to use the TAC lite module and the OG module but that wasn't going to work.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have they solved the problem of combining ACL modules? That was somthing I kept running into trying to do OG based social networking. I needed to be able to use the TAC lite module and the OG module but that wasn't going to work.
    Speak English, man!

ACL? OG? TAC?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, I have returned! I still feel grumpy after spending ages on a previous post in here and just before sending it, my pc crashed.

Dan, it's great to hear how quickly one of your users is into profit - and using a sub-directory url too. That is excellent. Like you, I am aware that you have to work and work at a website to make it flourish. I have done that in the past with websites. I recall one website, that had 2 or 3 visitors per day at the start (all friends) and how it grew month by month to 700 visitors per day....with no paid promotion. I only used my signature file in usenet to promote it. My new venture will be in a niche area. Thus I would hope to corner that section of the market quite well.....given time.

Kat, I will have to get advice from you - regarding how to get big visitors numbers quickly! You seem to excel in this area.

Slinky, delighted to hear that you got 1000 members on your site, without any real effort/promotion. I was immensely impressed with the look of your site.....awesome customisation. Good luck with the new venture. I hope the social community part of the site pulls in plenty of folks towards the dating section.

I really hope that the new datemill script comes out before Xmas. I am really keen to move on my project. I am immensely impressed by the engine/look/feel of the romanian sites that the engine is presently running on. Lightening fast too.

Dan, given that I will most likely go with a free membership approach for the first year or two......is there scope to allow adsense adverts in the new script?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meant to add

Kat, thanks for the breaking news re alicia.

I signed up last night. Like you, i reckon it looks cute. They will probably be doing a lot of work (I imagine) to improve th elook/feel. I like the fact that it cover most bases - eg blogging and chat.....and that everything looks/feels integrated.

But I have not been blown away so far with alicia. Datemill's new engine feels far tighter/robust/quicker.....and the design on those sites looks better. imho

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meant to add

Kat, thanks for the breaking news re alicia.

I signed up last night. Like you, i reckon it looks cute. They will probably be doing a lot of work (I imagine) to improve th elook/feel.
    I just took another look around. IMO, they need to work on more than the look and feel. It's not very intuitive. The blogs aren't set up well (in terms of how someone might read them), and you pretty much have to 'guess' at what most of the icons mean. Plus there are no feeds, or 'news boxes' with info on what's going on in the rest of the site (ie who's online, who's chatting, site news, recent post in the forum, etc).

Me no like.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed, one of the first things I noticed was the poor blogging system. I have no idea how one would go about reading their blogs. And yes, there needs to be some 'news' type thingies. It is probbaly early beta....but I'm not convinced at all.

PS, Kat, I tried to send you a message, with no joy........error message says "Kat has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speak English, man!

ACL? OG? TAC?
    ACL access control list, OG oganic groups, TAC lite, taxonomy access control lite

I was combining these (and the usual two dozen others) and kept ending up with a mushroom cloud.

http://drupal.org/project/og
    http://drupal.org/project/tac_lite

It looks like elgg is going to be the best bet for what I want to do, particularly since they now have drupal integration on the roadmap.

http://elgg.org/

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at Alicia. Unless I missed something, it doesn't look like a very active, productive development effort and it's also closed code. There is no open cvs. As such, I won't even take a second glance.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like elgg is going to be the best bet for what I want to do, particularly since they now have drupal integration on the roadmap.

http://elgg.org/
    Cool. That one looks nice. Is there a demo somewhere? I don't have the time to install it at the moment

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    Cool. That one looks nice. Is there a demo somewhere? I don't have the time to install it at the moment
    It's in use here:

http://elgg.net/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting to hear that it is closed code, slinky. Yes, I am not over the moon about the new version either.

I have to say tho that I was blown away by that open source script mentioned above - elgg. Wow, that looks beautiful. Great to find a wonderful new greeat looking script.

Have you looked at it, slinky and kat? Thoughts? You know more about these things than me.

PS - VelvetElvis, thanks for posting this url/script.