Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    Dzoic Handshakes is very SEO-friendly.
    I wasn't impressed with this application.

For an seo'd SNS, maybe consider the vBspace mod for vBulletin (when it's done) + vbSEO.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat

For an seo'd SNS, maybe consider the vBspace mod for vBulletin (when it's done) + vbSEO.
    I haven't been able to find any simple to use (for users) social networking systems with clean seo code, and content management.

Looks like i will have to redevelop either phpfox or similar into a more friendly seo/content solution.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, who knows what will hapen to vbspace now. And although it looks great I'm not sure if I want to use something that I don't have full control of and that is remotely hosted.

As a normal mod, sure, it would be really great.
    And I'm still waiting for the copyright removal license for vbseo...

But - I think most admins think about seo first and secondly about their users. SN is not only about ranking 1st on Google and making lots of money.

I think the other approach is better for SNs. Think about the people first.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu

But - I think most admins think about seo first and secondly about their users. SN is not only about ranking 1st on Google and making lots of money.

I think the other approach is better for SNs. Think about the people first.
    I agree. However, i want to have my cake and eat it too. Meaning: an easy to use system for users that is seo'ed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said in the other thread - the PHPFox team is currently working on the SEO side of things with the help of a guy by the name of "Glen" on the forums. By 2.0 (out soon) things should be much better...

that Dolphin script is pretty awesome too though

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://communityserver.org/ - my favorite so far.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    PS - this great looking site, uses etown/datemill's script

http://www.jsoul.com

NB - there was obviously a fair bit of additional customization.
    Didn't see this... but thank you. Glad to help anyone who is thinking about it. I will be upgrading this script as well as doing a social networking play shortly...
    My law forum and legal information website -- I also buy websites you may wish to sell

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're welcome slinky.

and as i said in email a while back, maybe we can put some money in the pot together (with anyone else who is interested) and develop a better script, than what is out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ifdate.com/
    This script look real clean. They seem real helpful
    But i might still go with phpfox and have it clean up alot
    GhettoTube.com
    For Life

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have been reading this thread so far and am completely lost as to what to go with for my new project. Instead of taking on a myspace type site I want to take on facebook.com. I have been toying with a few scripts, but have not found something just right just yet. I know I will need to configure a script and I have no problem with that. I have even thought about programming from the ground up, but I am not sure what to do. What route do you suggest I go with?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also been reading this thread for months now wanting to re-establish my website www.ebuddiez.com to some kind of youth social network... but i've ran out of spear time, and now thinking of selling whole project to someone...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Match Agency BiZ from Datetopia has an interesting Friends Network plugin. Can be the social networking feature you're looking for in your future website.
    Free Dating Scripts - with php source code

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMW
    http://www.ifdate.com/
    This script look real clean. They seem real helpful
    But i might still go with phpfox and have it clean up alot
    ifdate looks identical to that dolphin script...or is it just me?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it is based on the phpizabi script - i do recall some fracas between both parties.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to see this thread is still alive. It's been a while since I checked it.

All this scripting talk is driving me nuts. I have this idea for a site that I've been trying to bring to reality, but a million things always get in the way. And at this point I'd be happier if the site came to life and failed miserably than if it never came to life at all.

It's obvious we all share an interest in either improving upon whats already out there and popular, or competing with it. I personally think MySpace is doing a wonderful job of showing the world what can go wrong when something gets too popular. I'm actually wanting to see a site made that is far more efficient and functional then MySpace and does not promote whatever it is that is causing it to be banned from schools and so on. You know I've heard and read news stories about how employers are going on MySpace and hunting down potential clients via their email addresses and discovering things that are causing applicants to lose the job? Im not blaming MySpace necessarily, people should be smarter about what information they divulge. Not to mention all those blurbs you hear about child predators and "pimps". But why the hell do people think that they should put that stuff on MySpace anyway? Because it has become a popularity contest, a competition of bragging rights and whatnot. And its too late for the website to change.

Simple and counter-intuitive solution: Create a website devoid of contests (Thus limiting its ability to promote crime and bad behaviour, and sadly diminish its popularity, yet have more genuine members), and create a website to be used more as a tool, a means to an end. Not as a hang-out.

This is the basic idea of the site I wish to create. I have more, I've written a full manifesto of sorts. But that is it, and I need help. A heck of alot. Coding, some designing, the fact is in my current situation I cant devote my time to this project alone. A team of people dedicated to seeing something happen would be fantastic. As it turns out, I know the wrong people.

If anyone here has the SLIGHTEST interest in letting a crazy just out of college with an associates degree ready to produce and work his *** off kind-o-guy rant and rave , lets converse. Send me a PM or an email. Lets make something happen before yet even more time passes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know what...?

PHPBB has a mod out that is myspace-like, and it intigrates into your forum. Probably need a vanilla install, and expect to update them, buuut, it looks decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    As I said in the other thread - the PHPFox team is currently working on the SEO side of things with the help of a guy by the name of "Glen" on the forums. By 2.0 (out soon) things should be much better...
    I'm quite amazed that someone would go to all the trouble to write a myspace clone and not consider the seo aspect. Begs you to ask what other shortcuts they took.

Dalt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so does anyone know what is going on with the alicia open source project? I've gone to the website and they want people to pay $10 to get the updated info and so you can get it 14 days in advance or something silly. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the "documentaion" and insight they supposedly provide? lol After wating this long is this alicia thing just a cruel joke?

I have just recently played with the drupal myspace module... I haven't been able to find any recent updates for this and there seems to be tons of errors. Is there any working version of this actually up? Nice idea... and it has potential. I might have to start working on redoing the PHP for drupal 7 on my own.

So what is everyone's favorite open source community site so far? The best?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been waiting for Alicia and Datemill's new scripts to come out.

Alicia no doubt will look superb. But I have a couple of major concerns - how heavy the code is on database use; and how search engine friendly the script will be. eg go to their showcase sites, listed in their forum, sign up for the top 2 or 3. The biggest that I found had some 50 to 60,000 members. But yet, any time I ever logged on, there was only betweem 2 to 5 of them ever online. Bizarre. This was the case for 2 or 3 others that I signed up for too.

And a final thing. I am not too sure exactly where their project is leading. Is it gonna stay open source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they ever release Alicia or is it still vaporware?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clenard
    Did they ever release Alicia or is it still vaporware?
    I just checked, and now it's slated for October. But at leasted they've released a sked...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked, and now it's slated for October. But at leasted they've released a sked...
    Well, they planned to release it 5 months ago...

But well.. even vbulletin 3 was very late.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will be going with datemill when it launches. Alicia throws up a lot of questions for me (ones that I have never resolved in my own mind).

Plus anyroads, Dan at datemill is a great bloke, who is really helpful. I've seen and used the framework that the new version of datemill will be running on, and it is lightening fast.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    I think I will be going with datemill when it launches. Alicia throws up a lot of questions for me (ones that I have never resolved in my own mind).
    I quite like Datemill! When does the new version launch?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Kat, long time no see! Hope you are doing well.

Datemill has been put back a couple of times this year. A rough last estimate was August. I am guessing now that it will be before Xmas. But like Dan, i prefer that they get it right before releasing it - ie all the main bugs eredicated.

I have seen the new engine/framework and it looks fantastic........and is so fast. It will be far far better than the old script.

The only issue that I haven't looked much into so far, is the seo aspect. I do know that there won't be SE friendly urls, tho perhaps there might be a plugin developed later.