SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handshakes just seemed rather clunky to me - phpfox is a lot more slick. Granted, it's got a few issues, but I find it better than Handshakes in almost every way. phpfox seems to have a much better community behind it as well, and support is much easier to come by.

A big thing (at least for me) is that phpfox seems a whole lot more like MySpace. That might be a turn-off for some, but it's what I wanted.

As for users, I had to just start over. The site was only a few days old, but I lost 400 users because of the switch. I e-mailed them and explained that we were switching and most of them signed back up on the new site. If you have more established site, switching would be a bit more difficult.
    MickMel.com - My portfolio, etc.
    @mickmel - Twitter
    Google Earth Hacks - Fun stuff for Google Earth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking for a similar thing for the past few weeks. PHPFox seems to be the best at the moment, but
    (i) it's not free
    (ii) it's going to take a lot of customisation to make it look halfway-decent (in terms of templates)

PHPizabi looks fantastic, but no-one seems to know when Alicia is going to be released. I saw a thread on their site in this regard, but it was deleted before the admin posted any concrete answers.

And I'm also trying to find the correct balance between dating script and social networking... I think the two go hand in hand, but my target market would be turned off by the site being called a dating site. Social networking is a much nicer term!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a lot of research for these few days. There is a big chance that I will go with http://www.joomlapolis.com/ This is based on joomla cms.

The reason I go with it rather than other commerical product is because:

-it's free
    -large communitry support
    -do most of the things what commerical product does or even more
    -different language pack, no need to translate by yourself

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickmel
    Handshakes just seemed rather clunky to me -
    It seemed very clunky to me, too. I played around in the demo, and decided against that platform.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbear
    After a lot of research for these few days. There is a big chance that I will go with http://www.joomlapolis.com/ This is based on joomla cms.

The reason I go with it rather than other commerical product is because:

-it's free
    -large communitry support
    -do most of the things what commerical product does or even more
    -different language pack, no need to translate by yourself

Are you sure about that? If you know of any sample websites running joomplapolis I am sure many people would like to know. Seems like phpfox is the most admired script in this thread and if joompapolis can outfox phpfox for free its definately worth examining.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkarun
    I just signed in to this forum after reading the threads above.

I have researched the net since 2 months and I have not found any software that satisfies me. I have listed these software that are in my sorted list:
    * PHPizabi
    * Alstrasoft E-friends
    * PhpFox
    * BuddyZone

But I got fed up and installed PHPizabi which is FREE and they are releasing ALICIA the new generation of the current version.

I am using the current version and launched my site on April 20 as BETA Launch. I got few signups withing 2/3 days which is not bad.

Take a look at my site, though it is for my Nepali community from Nepal-- you can see what you can do with PHPIzabi.

My site
    Dhukdhukee.com (heartbeat)
    How did you promote it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hows it going everybody. This thread caught my attention and I had to register.

For a number of months I've been wanting to create a "spoof" social networking site. This site, when described to others, has received mixed reactions. It seems there is no middle-ground in this, either people will LOVE the site, or STEER FAR from it. So I know I have a 50-50 winning idea.

Now as I met with those interested in creating this spoof site, we came to realize that the features we wanted to implement into this site would actually make it a very appealing alternative to the "run of the mill" top 3 or 4.

Of course my coding and programming knowledge is menial at best, and my number one top coder's work ethic has dropped from full-time to part-time to "every single thing in the universe is more important". He talked a great game, but failed to deliver. Thus, I've taken on the project myself, which has been hell just trying to learn the coding.

Now I feel its a damn shame, because I bought the domain, and I have a couple quick mock-up pages that do display the overall feel of the website, but other than that I've got nothing. AND no money (I'm between jobs).

Now here I frame my question because it seems that all posters here are quite interested in creating social-networking sites.

Out of all these softwares being discussed, what would you suggest for someone nearly devoid of programming knowledge? Someone who is short on money, and short on help? And in a more roundabout way, who here is interested enough to hear my ideas and possibly discuss a "partnership"?

Trust me, I know this waaaay out there, and I do expect a couple and . But I wouldn't think that very nice of you. And im actually a very nice guy.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you have following free scripts:

osDate (http://tufat.com/s_free_dating_system.htm): big community
    a vB hack: is being released in a couple of weeks and should look better than all myspace sites
    phpizabi (http://www.phpizabi.net/): a new version is coming soon

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    a vB hack: is being released in a couple of weeks and should look better than all myspace sites
    I have really high hopes for this hack. (This option will cost you at least the cost of a vBulletin)

Me? I got tired of waiting for vBSpace and Alicia, so I'm trying a combo of:
    vBulletin, PhotoPost Classifieds (personals), the secret admirer hack for vb, and a few others. As soon as I get the sites done, I'll post them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I have really high hopes for this hack. (This option will cost you at least the cost of a vBulletin)

Me? I got tired of waiting for vBSpace and Alicia, so I'm trying a combo of:
    vBulletin, PhotoPost Classifieds (personals), the secret admirer hack for vb, and a few others. As soon as I get the sites done, I'll post them.
    Yeah, that hack looks really great. In terms of usability and userfriendliness it's probably one of the best solutions ever coded.
    Yet, I don't like the Myspace-look...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any one heard of Dolphin? I like it so far. Debating on whether I should buy it though.
    http://www.boonex.com/products/dolphin/
    Last edited by fashionista04; May 9, 2006 at 12:41. Reason: Forgot the link

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to ask...

Can any of these scripts be used for a site that isn't a "dating" site?

I have a team of 1200+ network marketers. I want to create a community site for them. A forum would be a portion of it (I already have vbulletin) but I'd also like them to be able to do things like share photos, share files, etc.

I looked at a couple of the programs mentioned here but they were all geared towards dating and asked for a ton of dating/social information when the person registered. I wouldn't want to do that.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im more than sure you could alter the script for your needs. Take out the fields that you didnt want to ask.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fashionista04
    Has any one heard of Dolphin? I like it so far. Debating on whether I should buy it though.
    Hmm looks really nice. Thanks for the tip.
    I'll give it a try.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    Hmm looks really nice. Thanks for the tip.
    I'll give it a try.
    Yeah not sure if I wanna use it though. Ive been waiting on Alicia forever and I think ill just go ahead and use PHPizabi and install some mods.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah not sure if I wanna use it though. Ive been waiting on Alicia forever and I think ill just go ahead and use PHPizabi and install some mods.
    Well, I'm not sure but it seems to me you would have to pay 4*120 USD to remove the copyright license - per year.
    If that's true - forget it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks neat. Will take a closer look in a moment.

BTW, I helped a friend build a 'networking site' out of vBulletin. How her site got done before mine is a mystery - LOL!

Anyway, it's here: www.plushSingles.com

I hope to have my site up shortly.

BenFitts, I bet you could mod out vB to suit your purposes. I just put up another site with the 'any media' mod, and it's great for having audio and video clips on vB that can be downloaded.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    BTW, I helped a friend build a 'networking site' out of vBulletin. How her site got done before mine is a mystery - LOL!
    Kat, that's VB, VBA and PP Classifieds, right? Looks good too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently checked out Ning, a website which lets you create your own social app. Unless you sign up for a "premium package" of sorts, the code to your social web app is easily seen by any interested ning member. This being the case, ning allows you to take someone's pre-made app, and then mold it to your tastes.

Now if I had knowledge of PHP scripting, I'd be able to modify much of the source code to do my bidding. But alas, I do not. I could take the time to learn it, but the hassle of it scares me.

I might have to hire a freelancer to do what I envision, as it is far beyond my meager programming skills, and sadly beyond my budget as well.

It stinks having a great idea, but lacking the means to produce it. Oh the woes of being a starving entrepreneur.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at all the links posted here..i dont think they can match this:
    http://www.boonex.com/products/dolphin

and for $20 bucks..it really looks good.

I havent tried it myself,but thought it would be beneficial to those looking for a myspace type site.

Rep me..oh wait..no reps..

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola
    Kat, that's VB, VBA and PP Classifieds, right? Looks good too.
    Thanks! Correct: vB, vBA, PPC, + a bunch of hacks from vb.org.

Take a look at a member profile...there's a "Secret Crush" modification. You can click on it, and if that member has a 'crush' on you, the system will tell you.

There's a few other mods done to the postbit, as well.

You can see the postbit here: http://www.plushsingles.com/forums/s...?p=105#post105

(From there you can click on the profile and the personals links)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we had developed one script 1-2 years back and its still running well on
    http://www.come4date.com/home.php

Its integrated with PostNuke, so we can easily integrate all PN modules with this script and can make use of all features of community based Postnuke modules.

Its just a demo site of our script and works well in IE. We had developed 2-3 sites on same module which worked fine as well.
    Have never looked back on this script but can integrate it for you if required

It has all dating/matchmaking script features already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can any of these scripts be used for a site that isn't a "dating" site?

I have a team of 1200+ network marketers. I want to create a community site for them. A forum would be a portion of it (I already have vbulletin) but I'd also like them to be able to do things like share photos, share files, etc.

I looked at a couple of the programs mentioned here but they were all geared towards dating and asked for a ton of dating/social information when the person registered. I wouldn't want to do that.
    I'm aiming to do the same thing. More of a community site than a dating one. This is why I'm quite interested in phpfox, which has all the social networking community mods I need (a la myspace).

I'm checking their forum to learn if how far I can customize the script. I wouldn't want it to look exactly like myspace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fecophobia
    Computer science is flooded with Hindus, I've had many experiences with them since college. I have a great deal of respect for Hinduism, but cultures have a personality and India's is geeky and introverted. It also depends on the region. Southern India is a STRANGE place, like a whole culture dropped in from another planet. Eastern India is more progressive and all the East Indians I've known have been great people, but they don't leave India that much. West India is sort of like the NY, NY of India: tech support problems with Southern Indians are usually language problems, but with Western Indians it is more likely to be an attitude problem. Northern Indians are like the Eastern Indians in terms coming from functional societies, but Northern Indians are more extroverted. It is sort of like Europe, it is hard to generalize about all of Europe, but different countries have distinct personalities. India is very diverse, but some Hindu programmers, especiallly from the West and South, can present some substantial difficulties on a regular basis.
    Hey I am from India. And from western part. But yeah i might have attitude problems

And for the thread let me see. You can use Xoops with its latest community module and you will get a good community site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so who wins? PHPFOX?