SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 727
  1. #76
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strawberries, that sounds great. I will definitely wait for it. I've been looking for a script such as this and from the sound of it, it would definitely fit the bill.

  2. #77
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes Eddy, same here

    I am waiting too, rather impatiently it must be said

    I like the whole look and feel of their script - the good looks, the tabs along the top, the great way the features of signing up are displayed in that small section of the page that clicks on to show you more features of signing up, etc, etc.

    The one area that I think i will need to work on tho is the actual listing page. I would like it to be a little more informative and easier on the eye.

    For example, there is a tiny box on the left hand side, below the picture, where the person can describe themselves. That is too small an area. That area should be the key section on the page imho along with their picture/gallery.

    But the Alicia developers impress me with their overall eye for putting together a great looking, easy to use site.

  3. #78
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I hear back from them today...it vB and DM can be integrated - YAY!

    It all depends on your topic, and the quality of the site members. When I started my first forum, I had lots of free time. Then I got a new job which ate of ALL of my time for nearly 4 years. In that time, the forum still grew at about 4,000 members per month. It's a loyal, bunch, and the great mods help keep things straight. We have VERY few 'trouble makers'.

    Look at www.plentyoffish.com it's run by 2 people, and they have 10's of thousands of members. You won't be tied to the boards...trust me.
    wow, I had a look at that plentyoffish website, kat. Thanks for the url.

    I was amazed at the numbers of people on there......as i type, there are currently over 11,700 people online!

    Is that your site? How do they get such amazing numbers? Do they advertise?



    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I've got a little bit of time, so I'm going to wait to see what Alicia has to offer, as well as, the vB MySpace mod. (I'm actually more excited about the vB Mod, than Alicia...)

    But...I'm also REALLY excited about the DateMill/vB Integration.

    It will all depend on whether I go more 'dating site' or more 'social networking'...
    yes, I know what you mean. I sorta fall into that area too. For me, it is probably a case of not knowing exactly what I want, script wise, until I see it.

    And I know from past experience, on other types of website, that just because one has a great looking website with loads of features, doesn't necessarily mean that it will pull in a lo to fpeople.

    That is why I would love to learn how plentyoffish manage to market their site so well.

  4. #79
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    wow, I had a look at that plentyoffish website, kat. Thanks for the url.

    I was amazed at the numbers of people on there......as i type, there are currently over 11,700 people online!

    Is that your site? How do they get such amazing numbers? Do they advertise?
    LOL!! Not my site. I wish...he reportedly makes $10,000 a day in ad revenues:
    He Makes $10,000 A Day and He Makes Over $500,000 A year
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  5. #80
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL

    yes, i was reading about that supposed 10,000 per month over at slashdot tonight

    http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...0/175212.shtml

  6. #81
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    yes, I know what you mean. I sorta fall into that area too. For me, it is probably a case of not knowing exactly what I want, script wise, until I see it.
    Have you seen www.naseeb.com? That's a well done application. I heard about it from the folks who developed it. While it's 'overkill' and unintuitive in some areas, it has some nice features. (register and check it out.)

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    And I know from past experience, on other types of website, that just because one has a great looking website with loads of features, doesn't necessarily mean that it will pull in a lo to fpeople.

    That is why I would love to learn how plentyoffish manage to market their site so well.
    I think a large part of it is word of mouth. Plus, it's very easy to use and navigate. Most of the dating and social networking apps aren't very intuitive, plus everytime you click on something they are shoving a window in your face saying "this is a premium option, you must first pay". You don't get that at PlentyOfFish...it's 'register and go'. Sure there are ads all over the place, but because the service is free, I don't think the users mind.

    On Naseeb (and other dating sites), there are ads all over the place AND you have to pay for stuff.

    If I could get a PlentyOfFish clone for around $1000 that integrates with vBulletin, I'd be done with this whole 'search for the perfect app' drama...
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  7. #82
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Have you seen www.naseeb.com? That's a well done application. I heard about it from the folks who developed it. While it's 'overkill' and unintuitive in some areas, it has some nice features. (register and check it out.)
    ah, i wasn't aware of that naseeb site. I signed up today and had a look.

    I like the look of it - the individual listing looks good.........I would like the alicia script to be similar - ie similar layout


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    I think a large part of it is word of mouth. Plus, it's very easy to use and navigate. Most of the dating and social networking apps aren't very intuitive, plus everytime you click on something they are shoving a window in your face saying "this is a premium option, you must first pay". You don't get that at PlentyOfFish...it's 'register and go'. Sure there are ads all over the place, but because the service is free, I don't think the users mind.

    On Naseeb (and other dating sites), there are ads all over the place AND you have to pay for stuff.

    If I could get a PlentyOfFish clone for around $1000 that integrates with vBulletin, I'd be done with this whole 'search for the perfect app' drama...
    up until the past few days, I hadn't been aware of these free dating sites - and am amazed (and delighted) at how massive they are.

    i had assumed any business model would have been based around proving free listings for a year or two, until the site is established, and then starting to charge. But the entirely free approach, while making money from google adsense via the thousands of hits per day, is something I stupidly hadn't even given much thought to.

    Kat, the plentyoffish site is very functional. It could be easier on the eye tho.

    Do you have any vbulletin site that you woud llike to emulate the look of? vbulletin is a somewhat new area to me.

  8. #83
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    Do you have any vbulletin site that you woud llike to emulate the look of? vbulletin is a somewhat new area to me.
    I have a fantastic vBulletin designer. She's already done one skin for me, and is working on a second (I've seen the mock up, and it's wonderful.)

    Once she delivers the .PSD, I send it to a coder. To make it easier on her, I send her a reference site that has a 'structure' I like (ie navagation placement, side columns, etc), and she designs with that structure in mind.

    In the past, I had gone with 'pre fab' skins (which are fine), or I had a programmer make some tweaks, but this time around, I wanted a really 'custom' look and feel to the community.

    I had to go through several designers to find one that worked for what I wanted (and one who could design for women...no 'video game' sites here )

    Take a look at this site:
    http://www.myetalk.com/

    It's all a hacked out vBulletin (but when you first arrive you think it's on a MySpace-type platform.)
    Another good designer here at sitepoint is: artistsneverdie
    He's VERY good (and he codes).
    Last edited by Kat; Apr 13, 2006 at 11:44.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  9. #84
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice looking site, Kat.

    It is wonderful when you have a designer/coder who is both highly skilled and on the same wavelength as yourself.

    thanks for that name - i must make a note of it, if i need someone in the future. Tho I always intended to seek out some of those freelancer type sites fo rsuch work.

    We should keep in touch. I do know that another person in here (slinky) is keen to explore the possibilities of contributing resources into enhancing/creating a great dating script. I can also contribute 500 to 1000 dollars in such a pursuit.

    PS - that jsoul site i mentioned earlier, is one that slinky had enhanced.

  10. #85
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    nice looking site, Kat.
    .
    I like it, too (it's not mine...)

    When my new sites launch, I'll pm you the urls.

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    It is wonderful when you have a designer/coder who is both highly skilled and on the same wavelength as yourself.
    Tell me about it. My vB designer is a DREAM... I had never explored using freelances until recently - but I'm glad I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    We should keep in touch. I do know that another person in here (slinky) is keen to explore the possibilities of contributing resources into enhancing/creating a great dating script. I can also contribute 500 to 1000 dollars in such a pursuit.
    I could put in the same...

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    PS - that jsoul site i mentioned earlier, is one that slinky had enhanced.
    Good to know!
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  11. #86
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what hack they are using with myetalk.com?
    Just wondering what kind of effort will be required to hack vB to run like myetalk.com?

    Also, where can I see some demo of Alicia?

    Thanks,


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Take a look at this site:
    http://www.myetalk.com/

    It's all a hacked out vBulletin (but when you first arrive you think it's on a MySpace-type platform.)
    Another good designer here at sitepoint is: artistsneverdie
    He's VERY good (and he codes).

  12. #87
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSEO
    Do you know what hack they are using with myetalk.com?
    Just wondering what kind of effort will be required to hack vB to run like myetalk.com?
    It's not just one hack, it's several. You can find most of them here: www.vbulletin.org . Be advised, however, that there is a full 'myspace-style' hack being developed over at vB.org, too. The thread indicates it will be released at the end of April.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSEO
    Also, where can I see some demo of Alicia?
    Dunno. We're all waiting for it to be released, but the release date seems to be a moving target. You can follow the development notes at www.phpizabi.org (I think it's .org.)
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  13. #88
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else think the 'online social community' is too saturated?

  14. #89
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Rumor has it, within a week or, two.

    I don't know more than that. You might want to check out their site. I've just been 'encouraged' to wait for Alicia before making any platform decisions.

    My 'back up' plans (from cheapest to most expensive) are:

    Totally 'modded' vBulletin portal to work like MySpace (but better)
    Combo package of Dating Box integrated with vBulletin
    A custom application made by the folks who did Naseeb.com (this has a LOT of features.)(Christianster is also well done - in terms of features.)
    Does the package custom made for Naseeb.com have a brand name? I looked at it and it seems quite feature laden. How pricey is it compared to phpfox and alstrasoft which I assume at $300 are the low end.

  15. #90
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by royaljam
    Anyone else think the 'online social community' is too saturated?

    It is. One can expect to just see the survival and growth of the most feature laden and well managed sites now with the rest just petering out.

  16. #91
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we know who did the custom script for Naseeb.com. The site is gorgeous. Wanting similar.

  17. #92
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maqsa
    One can expect to just see the survival and growth of the most feature laden and well managed sites now with the rest just petering out.
    yes, I am amazed to see how many sites have thousands of members. I seem to typically get 25 to 30 visitors per day to my main site (not community/dating based).

    I would love to know the secret of attracting visitors.

  18. #93
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    I would love to know the secret of attracting visitors.
    One secret is to pick a very narrow topic...
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  19. #94
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's true

    i could do a matchmaking site for lefthanded dentists who drive peugeots

  20. #95
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    that's true

    i could do a matchmaking site for lefthanded dentists who drive peugeots
    It would probably be a success
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

    oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

  21. #96
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just signed in to this forum after reading the threads above.

    I have researched the net since 2 months and I have not found any software that satisfies me. I have listed these software that are in my sorted list:
    * PHPizabi
    * Alstrasoft E-friends
    * PhpFox
    * BuddyZone

    But I got fed up and installed PHPizabi which is FREE and they are releasing ALICIA the new generation of the current version.

    I am using the current version and launched my site on April 20 as BETA Launch. I got few signups withing 2/3 days which is not bad.

    Take a look at my site, though it is for my Nepali community from Nepal-- you can see what you can do with PHPIzabi.

    My site
    Dhukdhukee.com (heartbeat)

  22. #97
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried handshakes of www.dzoic.com yet?
    It look pretty good to me and the ACP is done very well too.
    Demo: http://www.handshakesdemo.com/
    Admin Demo: http://www.handshakesdemo.com/administrator

    A brand new version just came out 2 weeks ago.

  23. #98
    SitePoint Addict mickmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    Has anyone tried handshakes of www.dzoic.com yet?
    I used it for a while, then switched to phpfox. I'm very happy I switched.
    MickMel.com - My portfolio, etc.
    @mickmel - Twitter
    Google Earth Hacks - Fun stuff for Google Earth.

  24. #99
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickmel
    I used it for a while, then switched to phpfox. I'm very happy I switched.
    Why are you happy you switched mickmel? whats better about phpfox when compared to handshakes?

  25. #100
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsteinfort
    Why are you happy you switched mickmel? whats better about phpfox when compared to handshakes?
    I'd like to know too.

    And how did you switch? Did you just start over or could you import your existing members?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •