User Tag List

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Are you going to screen every single member who joins? You'll never sleep.
    No screening, it's extremely simple to automate, it can be done in just a few lines of code.

What you want are boards populated by: People who believe and/or are interested in the influence of the stars on their relationships.

Let the chemistry happen from there...
    Oh ye of little faith, this stuff is deadly accurate. I'm a software engineer, so I have no vested interest in astrology, I would just do charts for friends, co-workers and their mates or love interests. I've been doing it since I was in college, so about 20 years now. Theories make predictions and you evaluate theories by testing those predictions. Sun sign horoscopes don't make testable predictions; the predictions are too vague and unquantifiable. The only prediction that astrology genuinely make about sun signs is that people who have their suns 54-66 degrees apart (sextile) or 114-126 (trine) will tend to be good friends, especially if there is a lack of adverse aspects.

Real astrology makes predictions about personalities and personality phases that are extremely specific and easy to test. Signs only give vague outlines, aspects are the meat and bones of astrology. Instead of there being only 12 possible predictive categories there are 600. Each category is far more narrowly defined and specific than with signs, so their predictions are much more readily quantifiable and testable. Here are a few tests from skeptical co-workers:

A skeptical co-worker brought me an unnamed birth date and wanted to know what that person was like. When I had a chance to check it I was shocked, it was the most tense, and intense, chart that I’d ever seen, almost all the aspects were squares. I went to his office and said, “Who *IS* that? It’s a human buzz saw!” He had given me the birth date and time of his idol, Bruce Lee. He smiled from ear to ear and said, “Inter-esting!” 'Human buzz-saw' is an extremely specific description of Bruce Lee’s unique qualities.

At the Peter Norton Group an engineer heard me claim 99% accuracy in determining the quality and intensity of romantic attraction between any two people that I’d never met, given their birth data. With great vibrato he said, “********! I’m going to test you!” When predictions are very specific, tests are vastly easier to postulate and conduct. So he brought me 10 sets of data. 4 were made up controls (a good test always has controls), 4 were old relationships and 2 were new love interests. As I went through the list his face turned brighter and brighter red. When I was done he said that the first sentence out of my mouth after initially scanning the chart had summed up each relationship, or immediately identified a control as being no significant relationship. I was lucky, he was a lady-killer who was good at reading chemistry, which made the correlations much more distinct. He started studying it intensely after that, blown away that it is true, and after 6-12 months he said something very true, “It doesn’t tell you anything that you can’t already tell on your own if you are good at reading chemistry.” I said yes, but astrology allows you to do it without having to meet anyone, and it could do it for the majority who can’t read chemistry.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think of this application?
    http://www.alstrasoft.com/efriends.htm

It's not open source, but I'd still like to hear your opinion on it...
    RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaH
    there's a myspace like script called phpfox -
    http://www.phpfox.com
    That's a great one, I have looked into it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxS
    That's a great one, I have looked into it.
    Max, how do you think it compares to BuddyZone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max, how do you think it compares to BuddyZone?
    I have never heard of it until now. It looks decent, very similar to phpfox. Sorry I can't help!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PhpFoX supports CSS profile customization and has a support forum while BuddyZone does not. Maybe BuddyZone's phone support is extremely good, but on the home page it is obvious that it is an Indian out-sourcing company, notorious for poor phone support. I have met some good Hindu programmers, but most of them write very user unfriendly code.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fecophobia
    PhpFoX supports CSS profile customization and has a support forum while BuddyZone does not. Maybe BuddyZone's phone support is extremely good, but on the home page it is obvious that it is an Indian out-sourcing company, notorious for poor phone support. I have met some good Hindu programmers, but most of them write very user unfriendly code.
    Yea, they are all in India
    I wanted to buy this a while back, but all the legal crap and stuff made me nervous and I left it at that

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All that scripts looks rather crappy, and I bet they fail under heavy load.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fecophobia
    Wow...those are some pretty biased and sweeping statements...

I've had good experience with providers from India, and bad experiences. Same as with US providiers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computer science is flooded with Hindus, I've had many experiences with them since college. I have a great deal of respect for Hinduism, but cultures have a personality and India's is geeky and introverted. It also depends on the region. Southern India is a STRANGE place, like a whole culture dropped in from another planet. Eastern India is more progressive and all the East Indians I've known have been great people, but they don't leave India that much. West India is sort of like the NY, NY of India: tech support problems with Southern Indians are usually language problems, but with Western Indians it is more likely to be an attitude problem. Northern Indians are like the Eastern Indians in terms coming from functional societies, but Northern Indians are more extroverted. It is sort of like Europe, it is hard to generalize about all of Europe, but different countries have distinct personalities. India is very diverse, but some Hindu programmers, especiallly from the West and South, can present some substantial difficulties on a regular basis.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check this out....

has anyone ever used or heard of "datecomm" .... they say its a myspace clone...and lookin at alot of the sites that are made by it...looks like it is....you can find it here....

http://www.e-cbd.biz/community_script.html

i was about to purchase it...but thought i could use some other opinions before i spend over 200 dollars.....is it open source?....i need somethin open source

thx

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    What's the "legal crap and stuff" that you are talking about?
    I am looking at this script also.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by css59
    Yea, they are all in India
    I wanted to buy this a while back, but all the legal crap and stuff made me nervous and I left it at that

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to pay, then by definition it is not open source.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumnBassBBoy
    has anyone ever used or heard of "datecomm" .... they say its a myspace clone...and lookin at alot of the sites that are made by it...looks like it is....you can find it here....

http://www.e-cbd.biz/community_script.html

i was about to purchase it...but thought i could use some other opinions before i spend over 200 dollars.....is it open source?....i need somethin open source

thx
    I looked at this, but didn't care for it. I'd wait to see it in a working environment.

Have you looked at phpIzabi? It's opensource, and they are about to release "Alicia" soon, which is a new version of Izabi...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaH
    there's a myspace like script called phpfox -
    http://www.phpfox.com
    I saw this post yesterday afternoon, researched phpFox yesterday evening, purchased it last night and got it up and running this morning. Great script!

(note: the site that uses it is in my sig - People Fisher)
    MickMel.com - My portfolio, etc.
    @mickmel - Twitter
    Google Earth Hacks - Fun stuff for Google Earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That phpfox looks very promising I might have to get that.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickmel
    (note: the site that uses it is in my sig - People Fisher)
    Very nice!!

I'm researching these scripts for a Christian site, too!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about phpizabi. I've tried installing their demo. It's broken link here and there and I can't even troubleshoot it coz it's encoded!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbuilder
    Forget about phpizabi. I've tried installing their demo. It's broken link here and there and I can't even troubleshoot it coz it's encoded!
    Should people forget about it because you couldn't install it, or because there's actually something wrong with the script?

Doesn't matter anyway..most people (following zabi) are waiting for Alicia...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phpizabi is one cool piece of software, my only complaint is the ioncube decoded index... ahh and I will like to permit article publish to the members.

anyway... I would like to integrate phpizabi with a blog cms like wordpress so i will have the functionality of publishing articles...

any advice will be appreciate.
    Alan Maciel PM NOW
    Web 2.0 Solutions Developer PM for quotations
    übernetics
    Web 2.0 Software Solutions for business.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberman
    Phpizabi is one cool piece of software, my only complaint is the ioncube decoded index... ahh and I will like to permit article publish to the members.

anyway... I would like to integrate phpizabi with a blog cms like wordpress so i will have the functionality of publishing articles...

any advice will be appreciate.
    My advice is wait for izabi to release Alicia. It's supposed to be coming any day...and so we wait.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is wait for izabi to release Alicia. It's supposed to be coming any day...and so we wait.
    when do you think alicia is coming out?
    Alan Maciel PM NOW
    übernetics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I can read the alicia features and specs ?

Regards
    Alan Maciel PM NOW
    übernetics

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberman
    when do you think alicia is coming out?
    Rumor has it, within a week or, two.

I don't know more than that. You might want to check out their site. I've just been 'encouraged' to wait for Alicia before making any platform decisions.

My 'back up' plans (from cheapest to most expensive) are:

Totally 'modded' vBulletin portal to work like MySpace (but better)
    Combo package of Dating Box integrated with vBulletin
    A custom application made by the folks who did Naseeb.com (this has a LOT of features.)(Christianster is also well done - in terms of features.)
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so anyone using buddy zone?