User Tag List

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries
    Have you looked at it, slinky and kat? Thoughts? You know more about these things than me.
    The demo looked cool. The script is probably over my head in terms of programming, however...

I'm going to take another look tomorrow.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this still an area of interest?

I'm a designer, I'm experienced* in seo, I code css and xhtml. I have a few php, mysql, java, and ajax skilled partners that I collab with once a while, they’re good quality coders. They know what they're doing, and so do I.

I'm more than sure that we could create something solid, efficient, beautiful, and easy to use.

Basic features (gathered from this thread):

• Myspace, TagWorld, Vampire Freaks, Friendster functions & feel. i.e. Pictures, Comments, Messages, Top Friends, Private Profiles, Music, etc..etc...
    • Tableless, yes... Tableless layout(s), 100% divs/css/xhtml. Decent cross browser/platform compatibility. **table filter; while a user tries adding tables, the script will automatically convert the tables to divs/css/xhtml, etc.
    • Advanced profile editing with; css support, instant preview (ajax), syntax correction (depends), actual layout schemer/generator/skinner/themer. **disable modifying; h1 tags, semantics, ads, navigation, etc.
    • SEO friendly; links, titles, meta-tags, page structure semantics, alt tags, etc. All dynamic, except for alt tags -- user submitted.
    • Free profile templates/themes/schemes/skins, graphics, and other goodies. Included with the package.
    • Scalability. I can't release too much info on this one, this is the real meat of the project...
    • Easy customization.. Can't go into much detail.
    • ...We'll stop there, I don't want to give away the idea for free, sheesh.

Pricing would be influenced by you. A monthly rate, would be prefered.. How much would you pay & would you buy?

/please don't flame the idea.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the available solutions is really what I'm looking for. There should be a lot of people who think the same.

But you can't code something like this alone. That's impossible and would take forever.

Regarding the price, $200-300 would be the absolute maximum.
    Monthly rate? I don't like the idea. Better to pay only ONE fee.

But what do you expect? That ~20 users here say that they would be interested?
    I think it would be best if you just started working on that project. It seems like you got a big idea anyway. If it's going to be a good script, the people will love it and buy it.
    But can you create something better than PHPFox, handshakes or Alicia?
    If you followed this thread, you know how long development takes - even for a team.
    You would have to catch up really fast. And basic features alone won't do. Forum(-integration), chat, IM, blogs and so on would be needed too.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, popsugar is a myspace inspired site done with drupal. Somthing like that wouldn't be real hard to pull off.

http://popsugar.com/

I have a hunch that's a hacked spread firefox theme <http://drupal.org/project/spreadfirefox> that they are using. All the other crap fits into it like an errector set.

I've been able to get by with very limited php knowlede, though I do have some broader coding experience.

It's definately worth trying just to see what you can get it to do. Even if it blows up in your face it's still a hell of a lot of fun.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat, no luck here in trying to PM you. You have ran out of storage on sitepoint. "Kat has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu
    None of the available solutions is really what I'm looking for. There should be a lot of people who think the same.

But you can't code something like this alone. That's impossible and would take forever.

Regarding the price, $200-300 would be the absolute maximum.
    Monthly rate? I don't like the idea. Better to pay only ONE fee.

But what do you expect? That ~20 users here say that they would be interested?
    I think it would be best if you just started working on that project. It seems like you got a big idea anyway. If it's going to be a good script, the people will love it and buy it.
    But can you create something better than PHPFox, handshakes or Alicia?
    If you followed this thread, you know how long development takes - even for a team.
    You would have to catch up really fast. And basic features alone won't do. Forum(-integration), chat, IM, blogs and so on would be needed too.
    I wouldn't be coding it alone, I would create a team. =)

Well, I don't know, that's why I asked, there's no point in creating something that won't sell.

I'm confident that my team could. Very cofident.

Agreed, blogs, chat, im & forum integration would be a must.

The idea of a monthly rate, i.e. $25/month, is. Cheap for you, but it helps us push out new templates & features... =)

But, it doesn't exactly seem like it's worth the amount of work my team would put in, if only 20 people purchased. -- Hence, what I wanted to know.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're confident you can make a better product than PHPfox, Handshakes etc., then do it. If your product is really better, then the people will of course buy it. I would certainly be one of the first.

But the longer you wait, the higher the chance it will fail.
    Look how successful PHPFox has become. You will certainly sell far more than 20 licenses if your product keeps your promises.
    So, give it a try. Perhaps you can create a SNS that comes near to our wishes.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Brokentwo for the offer. I think that it would just take up too much time for you and your team to do (and thus be very expensive). And of course the big potential problem at the end of it all is that we might not like the final product.....or some may like it, and other sneed something different.

The better alternative for me, is to find something I really like (eg datemill) and get it customised by someone like yourself. But I don't know if customisation will be necesary as yet. I cna do all my own template/photoshop work and CSS tweaking....so there might be nothing left to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to have been a lot more development on the AROUNDme software since thread started. So much improvement in fact that I have done a write up on the project. If you are interested in this type of software you might want to give AROUNDme another look.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat, no luck here in trying to PM you. You have ran out of storage on sitepoint. "Kat has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."
    Space cleared

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetElvis
    FWIW, popsugar is a myspace inspired site done with drupal. Somthing like that wouldn't be real hard to pull off.
    I have a hunch that's a hacked spread firefox theme <http://drupal.org/project/spreadfirefox> that they are using. All the other crap fits into it like an errector set.
    I've been looking at popsugar very closely...verrrry closely!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    There seems to have been a lot more development on the AROUNDme software since thread started. So much improvement in fact that I have done a write up on the project. If you are interested in this type of software you might want to give AROUNDme another look.
    Carl, your Hiveminds site is AWESOME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame, looks like some beat me to the punch..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just done a write up on Pligg CMS ( http://www.pligg.com) which is a vote social news application based on sites like **** and reddit. I was intrigued by the uses of this software to create websites based on consumer goods like http://dealigg.com/. So this might be another answer for those interested in using Web 2.0 and social networking.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been away for a week or so.....catching up. Thanks Carl for mentioning Pligg - that looks really nice.......new to me.

Hi Dan! I had a look over at your datemill forum and I see that you are making steady progress on the development of the new script. That is great news. I am so so looking forward to seeing it's release.

Drupal sure looks the business. I am starting to read more and more about it recently. Thanks Kat for all the great links.

By the way, I have a couple of general queries - can anyone recommend a good integrated blogging AND chat forum script? If not, I will make do with my ongoing integration of wordpress and vanilla (an excellent chat script).

And a second query - can anyone recommend a good classifieds (eg cars/houses, etc) type script for a website that I am creating? Someone recommended Noah's Classifieds to me today. Anything else worth looking at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like www.webscribble.com now has a social networking solution. I use their dating script.....but in all honestly, I wouldn't purchase another encoded/encrypted script again.

Just thought some of you might be interested in having a look

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

1. Kat has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

1. Kat has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.
    ok...ok...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I have a couple of general queries - can anyone recommend a good integrated blogging AND chat forum script? If not, I will make do with my ongoing integration of wordpress and vanilla (an excellent chat script).
    What elements of the blog would need to be integrated with the chat room?

Or are you wanting to integrate a blog with a message board? (ie have your blog posts automatically post to specific forums on your message board. If that's the case you can do this with any blog that has rss feeds, vBulletin, and the RSS hack. Works like a charm.)

Then you can get Flash Chat (it's $5), and integrate it with your vBulletin membership, so only members can get in.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by activeweb
    Looks like www.webscribble.com now has a social networking solution. I use their dating script.....but in all honestly, I wouldn't purchase another encoded/encrypted script again.

Just thought some of you might be interested in having a look
    Hey - that looks quite interesting (better than Alicia, imo)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buddy Zone = Beta = BUGGY!!!

If you are looking for a good Social Networking Script I would NOT recommend Buddy Zone from Vastal, Inc., unless you are very proficient in coding or know of someone that is.

I purchased this script 7/21/06 and found that it was not as advertised. I had asked Mr. Ankur Jain during the presale if the script was in beta and was told it was not. Only after purchasing ( A Big Mistake On My Part ) does it start to sink in that the script is far from being completed. It is riddled with programming errors. And the script that was emailed to me contained images from another website that was not associated with the Buddy Zone script. The images were from a live site that Mr. Ankur Jain doesn't even own.

Also you will not find an install script to help with the process of setting up the script for use quickly. For $399.99 I found this very unprofessional. Even open source scripts such as Joomla, which doesn't cost you a dime, has an install script.

I had posted to his website support forum with questions since it was taking longer and longer for him to respond to support questions via IM. Only to have my post removed. As of today 10/16/06 his demo site link to display the Buddy Zone script and his support forum link are both not working. If you would like to see what kind of person you will be dealing with follow this link.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...ght=Buddy+Zone

P.S.

Before putting down your hard earned money and purchasing a Social Networking Script make sure to search as many places as possible for reviews of the script you are going to buy and make sure the script you are purchasing has an active forum community.

CodeMonster

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeMonster
    If you would like to see what kind of person you will be dealing with follow this link.
    Good grief, that thread gave me a headache.

That said, can someone look at this post:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showp...5&postcount=43

Look in the profile bit. How was that 'blog' link created?!?! I HAVE to have that. Is it a mod at vb.org? Which one?

Strawberries, did you see that?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat,

Nice site, I like the success stories. Looks like you are using Wordpress. How do you like it?

P.S.

Sorry that thread gave you a headache.

CodeMonster

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat,

Nice site, I like the success stories. Looks like you are using Wordpress. How do you like it?
    Thanks! I used to use Wordpress, but for the moment, I'm on Movable Type. Both programs have their pros & cons. Overall, I REALLY like MT, but the 'rebuild' function is a real PITA. You can't go wrong with either platform.

The MT version is just a placeholder, anyway...I'm about to switch to Drupal. After looking at everything out there, and knowing what I want to do with the site, I think Drupal is where I need to be

Sorry you lost so much money on BuddyZone. I had looked at it many months ago, but the price was a little steep to me for a product with no staffed tech support.

Did you take a look at WebScribble that was posted earlier? It lacks some funtionality that I would want, but the company said they could custom code it for me. (For the money, though, I'm still better off with Drupal. Plus, just for kicks, I hacked out vBulletin to be like a dating/sns, and it worked fine. I've yet to find any of these other programs to come close to what you can do with vB and a good coder.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for a good Social Networking Script I would NOT recommend Buddy Zone from Vastal, Inc., unless you are very proficient in coding or know of someone that is.

I purchased this script 7/21/06 and found that it was not as advertised. I had asked Mr. Ankur Jain during the presale if the script was in beta and was told it was not. Only after purchasing ( A Big Mistake On My Part ) does it start to sink in that the script is far from being completed. It is riddled with programming errors. And the script that was emailed to me contained images from another website that was not associated with the Buddy Zone script. The images were from a live site that Mr. Ankur Jain doesn't even own.

Also you will not find an install script to help with the process of setting up the script for use quickly. For $399.99 I found this very unprofessional. Even open source scripts such as Joomla, which doesn't cost you a dime, has an install script.

I had posted to his website support forum with questions since it was taking longer and longer for him to respond to support questions via IM. Only to have my post removed. As of today 10/16/06 his demo site link to display the Buddy Zone script and his support forum link are both not working. If you would like to see what kind of person you will be dealing with follow this link.

P.S.

Before putting down your hard earned money and purchasing a Social Networking Script make sure to search as many places as possible for reviews of the script you are going to buy and make sure the script you are purchasing has an active forum community.

CodeMonster

As you can see on my Blog - I've mentioned this guy along with what me and CodeMonster had to deal with on my blog. The guy CodeMonster's referring to is a disgusting person to have to deal with.

On another note - WebScribble looks good.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking here today at Alicia again.....I'm gonna keep an eye on the final product (due for release in 20 days). I didn't like it initially...but warmed to it today a tad.

By the way, this week i revisited a script that I quite liked in the past - vldpersonals
    http://www.vldpersonals.com/

It looks good for the money...especially if the code is open and can be adapted.

Anyone with views/perspectives on Alicia or vldpersonals?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strawberries, did you check out Webscribble. It's pretty nice.