SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Self-Generating Traffic

What's your experience of Viral Marketing and Self-Generating Traffic?

I have been using StartBlaze for around three months to generate some of the traffic to our website. StartBlaze offered big potential from the downline and we qualified for the free 10,000 hits that it offered at the time. The traffic from the downline is slowly building up, but it has been much slower than I had expected.

However, I have just come across Michael Russell's MPAM (Massive Passive Advertising Machine), a free viral marketing strategy that has made me realise some of the mistakes I made with StartBlaze, and has got me seriously thinking that with a little bit of work, viral marketing could deliver really big results.
    What it does is to combine a number of free traffic generation programs together to create an automatic stream of hits to your website.

One mistake I made with StartBlaze is that having won the 10,000 free hits, I didn't bother to promote it any more. The thing the MPAM strategy does is to promote the traffic generating program itself automatically by splitting the generated hits between your website and a MPAM site promoting your own referral links. This self promotion seems to be the key to its success by continuing to build the downline. Michael Russell suggests that it can generate 10,000 hits a day within a few months, which seems wildly optimistic, but apparently he's done it himself in a single month.

MPAM provides the free tools needed to do all this with instructions on how to link it all together, but it's a fair bit of work to set it all up. But then I suppose you shouldn't expect to get something for nothing!

Has anyone here used MPAM and what's your experience?
    Flashiness.com Free Flash Animations for Your Website

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Edited]

Advisor's notice:
    Red Hot Dom's signature originally contained a link to MPAM via a frames redirect, containing his own affiliate ID. This was against the SitePoint forums advertising guidelines, available in the announcements.

The link in his signature has been edited, and now links directly to the program mentioned above.
    Last edited by mmj; Oct 6, 2001 at 08:01.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I know of a viral program that's causing me to get thousands of automatic hits every day to my web server. It's called code red buffer exploit program. But lately its split itself into multiple channels giving me additional sources of hits. Notably:

Code Red:
    default.ida

Nimda:
    root.exe
    cmd.exe

Like I said - I am getting thousands of hits from these viral programs a day - automaticly - without any effort on my part. It's amazing I tell you. If you want, I can redirect these hits to your web site. Just let me know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On careful consideration, no thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having trouble getting any referrals off startblaze.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had reasonable success with StartBlaze and this lead me to consider one of these mpam type systems. Their seemed to be quite a few popping up on the start page programs.
    The only reason I didn't was that I didn't like the way that ultimately the person benefitting is the person with the site.
    I took a similar system and placed it in an e-book that lets the person who follows the system change all the links within it to point to their own sign up pages. This allows them to give their downlines a kick start by promoting the book on their site or to their mail list.
    Even allowing for people cheating and changing the links to programs they were already signed up for I have had far greater success than I thought.
    A few of the programs are already deeper than benefits me and although I new that would happen I didn't think it would happen so fast.
    The book allows users to sign up for my newsletter and to a few affiliate programs I recommend so all in all I would have to say it's been a very good exercise in viral marketing.
    www.gr8-business.com
    Free software and tips to
    promote your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viral marketing is extremely effective, but the traffic you get from this method is normally one page traffic. What I mean by that, is that they normally view your mainpage, if they even really view that, and move on. You will rarely generate return visitors from this method, as a lot of times it's a bunch of webmastesr. It's a pretty stupid method if you think about what you're trying to accomplish. If you have cpm advertising though, there's nothing like it and it will definitely bring in the cash if that's what you're using it for, other than that though, it's not really worthwhile, unless you are going to be using it in cooperation with several link exchanges and building your traffic to those to use for a massive FREE advertising campaign after the fact... which I've done before and that's extremely effective, but using it on it's own, is almost worthless.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the traffic does tend to be one page traffic, so it is best not to send it to your main page, which isn't usually designed to be read in the few seconds you have to catch the visitors attention.

It is best to think of this traffic as full page banner impressions and use a special page designed to grab their attention.

One technique I have experimented with is to use fast loading Flash animation with nothing but an invitation to enter the site. This generated an 8% click through ratio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option that you have is to just have the traffic direct straight to a page that is filled with banner exchanges, which if you send me a private message, I can tell you how to cheat their coding and get more traffic for your space. This way you can turn the 10,000 into around 500,000 impressions, sure you still have click throughs to deal with, but you can now target those banner impressions to the sites that actually share the same type of content or demographics that you are looking to reach. Thta should substantially boost your traffic if you do this frequently...