SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install MySQL probs on OS X

Sorry, i put this in th ewrong forum before.

Hi I'm a Web designer and a newbie to all this databse stuff and trying to follow the instructions in "Build your own Databse Driven Site with PHP and MySQL".

I am using a mac running 10.3.

I have stumped on configuring mysql. Following the instructions in the book, I have been unable to save the my.cnf file to the /usr/local/mqsql/data folder. It says I dont have sufficient permission to open this folder. Shud i change the permissions on this and put it in there maually or shud i follow the book some other way.

I guess i need to sort this out before attempting the Post Installation setup tasks in the book, which i failed to pull off after changing permissions on the data folder and putting the my.cnf file in there.

I think i should start again. Anyone know where i'm going wrong. Im scared of command lines!

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my.cnf does not go in the data folder.

plus, i don't know if the book has been updated for the newest versions of mysql and osx. if it hasn't, i might suggest looking for a current mysql install tutorial on the web.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't install .cnf file

I am just getting started with the 3rd Edition of ' Build your own database driven website' and like the 2 posts above I am also having problems installing MySQL on OS X 10.4.5. I also am new to this aspect of web development. It seems that the folder /usr/local/mysql/data/ doesn't exist and I can't put my .cnf file in it. However searching for /usr/local/mysql/ will show the 'data' folder but is owned by MySQL and I don't seem to be able to get privilages. Any suggestions as I ain't go nowhere to got with this.

Thanks