SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use SQLite instead, in case I want to distribute a Web-based App?

Has anyone created a web-based app using SQLite and then distributed it?

I'm in the middle of writing a Web-based application with PHP and MYSql, and then I started wondering if it was a better choice to use SQLite if later I decided to make this App available as a downloadable application from my Site for others' use ?

Has anyone created a web-based app using SQLite and then distributed it?

If i targeted it toward Windows users, I was wondering about the requirements on their end such as whether they need to have just PHP on their system, or if they need more than this.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by codersteve; Mar 13, 2006 at 16:00. Reason: Clarify question

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    php and mysql are already ubiquitous. my personal opinion is that you're worrying over nothing. stick with mysql. even better, get postgresql, too, and make sure your queries work well on both platforms.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I was actually thinking was not having this as a live Internet site. It's supposed to be a strictly local Web-based app that is accessed from the user's desktop with their browser.

The browser is the interface, and on their own PC's hard drive, the user would have SQLite (at the most, two or three tables and a couple of thousand records).

My guess is that I just need to write an Install program that installs SQLite for them. I've got to do more research and find out what you need in addition to SQLite, like maybe a web server is required, don't know.

Thanks though for your reply.