SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy Egg Click Tracking -- Freakin' beautiful

I wasn't really sure where to put this, and Vinnie suggested here since I am more keen to talk about the business implications of this than talk tech. So if you think this is the wrong place, blame vgarcia.

Anyhoo, this new company called Crazy Egg is working on what I think could be the prettiest and most helpful (to webmasters, at least) usage of JavaScript yet. This software will track every click from your users, and then produce a heatmap that is overlaid on your website to show which parts of your page are receiving the most clicks. Beyond being simple gorgeous, I think this could definitely be very helpful in figuring out how to configure your page to direct traffic where you want it.

Check out the blog post over at mashable about this: http://mashable.com/2006/03/10/crazy...azy-delicious/
    Last edited by Bleys; Mar 10, 2006 at 16:01.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool, checking it out now... have you used this on your site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow that is sweet.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't this what ClickTracks web analytics does already?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, looks amazing.

Nintendo Wii Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll definitely use it when it comes out
    16 Year Old Web Designer
    Average Daily Income (approx):$30
    Drawing Tips | Wii Gamin' | Twilight Princess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bweeb
    very cool, checking it out now... have you used this on your site?
    Not yet, gonna try to get a preview of it at some point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahan
    Isn't this what ClickTracks web analytics does already?
    Someone asked on Pete Cashmore's blog if this was essentially the same as Google Analytics click tracking--which I am going to assume is similar to ClickTracks, having never used either of those services, though I just quickly checked out ClickTracks--and someone from Crazy Egg replied.

The essential difference is that this doesn't just track clicks on links, it tracks the exact position of ANYWHERE your visitors click, to provide an accurate heat map overlay. Including form fields (!!), buttons, images, etc.

It's also much prettier.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Analytics provides this. Any reason for me to dump them and choose egg map? :P
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Srirangan
    Analytics provides this. Any reason for me to dump them and choose egg map? :P
    Hiten from http://www.CrazyEgg.com here...

Srirangan, I would not recommend dumping your analytics, as Crazy Egg is not a replacement for an analytics package. But Crazy Egg is a different way to look at how visitors interact with your website, thus it can provide you with more insight about certain things on your website that analytics does not.

Here is a link that describes the limitations of Google's Site Overlay:

http://www.google.com/support/analyt...topic=0&type=f

Thanks Bleys for posting this, and also explaining the Crazy Egg difference.

Our goal is to provide a visual representation of visitor's clicks on a page. This is not what analytics currently does. The site overlay function in most analytics packages does not track javascript such as form fields and buttons. Also, to produce the Crazy Egg heatmap, we are tracking each individual click on a page, so we can provide an accurate representation of where exactly people are clicking.

I am happy to see that others share the same excitement about Crazy Egg as we do. If anyone wants more information or a sneak peek, feel free to PM me, or email me at info at crazyegg.com

Hiten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Crazy Egg is a different way to look at how visitors interact with your website, thus it can provide you with more insight about certain things on your website that analytics does not.
    I beg to differ. Site Overlay in Analytics is the exact same functionility Egg Click provides.
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg to differ. Site Overlay in Analytics is the exact same functionility Egg Click provides.
    Not really, as the link above suggests, Analytics won't track clicks for

The site overlay report is not currently able to work with the following types of content:
    • Javascript links
    • CSS content
    • Flash navigation
    • downloadable files (.pdf)
    • outbound links
    • frames
    • auto redirects.
    I doubt it would also track things like form fields (so you can see where, if at all, users are having trouble with or dumping your forms).

Crazy Egg, unless I am mistaken, tracks all of these things since it doesn't use cURL but instead uses a piece of embedded javascript.

I doubt Google Analytics Site Overlay provides something at visually stunning (and potentially useful) as the heatmaps. Which are a very nice, intuitive graphical representation of user activity. But again, not speaking from experience as I have yet to use either product.

I can certainly imagine this company might be a target of Google in their recent buying spree as it would compliment their current analytics software quite well. Time will tell, I'm sure.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can track more things then a site overlay can, as shown by the link to Google's site overlay info page. Also, our heatmap provides a valuable visual representation of a webpage that goes beyond a site overlay.

The purpose of Crazy Egg is to go beyond a site overlay, and the goals of Crazy Egg are different then the site overlay in analytics packages, but I will respect your opinion, maybe you should try Crazy Egg out for yourself when we go live (there will always be a free version).

Hiten

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they reading my brainwaves? I had that idea about 2 weeks ago. THE EXACT SAME IDEA. heatmap of EVERYWHERE on your site. for each page. it makes me angry.

I swear that I had that exact same idea planned for a small start up. Frustrating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has ideas at the same time. It's not uncommon.

Of course, it's a safe bet CrazyEgg has been under development for a lot longer than 2 weeks.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it.

You install it on your site, it tells you where users click, this is helpful how?

I don't need software to tell me where people click. They click on my menu. If my menu is at the top, they click at the top, if my menu is at the right, they click at the right.

Sure, well done studies that track hotspots on neutral sites are useful for enhancing usability of your site. But tracking your own site is just going to reinforce your current layout.

This doesn't track eyeballs, or mouse movements, it tracks clicks, and unless your visitors have twitchy fingers the only place they will click are on links, and so the location of the clicks will be strictly governed by the location of your links.

If you simply wanted to know which pages on your site are visited the most, there are far simpler methods of discerning that information.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It a sexy, cool idea but Chris makes a good point. Ad agencies have been tracking the movements of the eye for years - we know that people scan a screen (or FP magazine ad) in a backwards 'S' pattern as a little side note.

I've been using TraceWatch stats for a few months now. It shows you the route people take through your site and when they end their visit. It even shows a percentage of how many people take a given path. Although this service has more cool factor...TraceWatch is still it for me.

SitePoint Addict BusinessEmpire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, i hope to use it soon.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been using for the past few days and i really like it. There is also so much potential to add new features as its still in beta stage.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither ClickTracks nor Google Analytics REALLY tell you the EXACT location where the click was made if you have multiple copies of a link on the same page.

Both ClickTracks and Google Analytics will show you the same info for links that are repeated on the same page, simply because they can't tell which link the user clicked. They simply know that the user went from PAGE A to PAGE B and they place the same stats everywhere on the page where that link is located.

If you check Amazon, you will see that they track every link using references to the location of that link within the url with a "REF=" variable with references to columns and position of the link.

From the Google link posted earlier in this thread:

"...If there are multiple links on a page that all point to the same place, Google Analytics will total the clicks to on all those links and display the total number for each overlay bar on each of those common links..."

So the question is if Crazy Egg will differentiate repeated links by their position. If you repeat your links in the same page, the heatmap is not as useful as it could be.

Despite of what I mentioned above, the possibility of tracking external links (Adsense is much asking?), forms and other goodies, makes this service really worthy. Not to mention that cute HeatMap that will make ink cartridges suppliers promote this service with passion! ;-)

Enrique

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy Egg and Repeated Links

To answer your question, yes, Crazy Egg does differentiate repeated links by their position.

Quote Originally Posted by eflouret
    Neither ClickTracks nor Google Analytics REALLY tell you the EXACT location where the click was made if you have multiple copies of a link on the same page.

Both ClickTracks and Google Analytics will show you the same info for links that are repeated on the same page, simply because they can't tell which link the user clicked. They simply know that the user went from PAGE A to PAGE B and they place the same stats everywhere on the page where that link is located.

If you check Amazon, you will see that they track every link using references to the location of that link within the url with a "REF=" variable with references to columns and position of the link.

From the Google link posted earlier in this thread:

"...If there are multiple links on a page that all point to the same place, Google Analytics will total the clicks to on all those links and display the total number for each overlay bar on each of those common links..."

So the question is if Crazy Egg will differentiate repeated links by their position. If you repeat your links in the same page, the heatmap is not as useful as it could be.

Despite of what I mentioned above, the possibility of tracking external links (Adsense is much asking?), forms and other goodies, makes this service really worthy. Not to mention that cute HeatMap that will make ink cartridges suppliers promote this service with passion! ;-)

Enrique