SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why some sites get thousand of hits

Hello:

I am one of the owners of a internet site called www.askthecameraman.com

We have spent hundreds of hours building the site and we are a bit frustrated with our hit count. It is frustrating that "two bit" sites come on Sitepoint and brag how they get 25.000 unique visitors a day and their site is junk and it is about rat control or something like that. I am not saying our site is the best, but it is not bad and we only get 1000 unique visitors a day We just put up our site at the end of July and we have been excepted by Yahoo, but the other aearch engines have been slow to pick up the site. How long does it take to get the other engines to pick up a site? Do you have any other recommendations to improve the site?

Sincerely,

Dan T
    www.askthecameraman.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

This may not be the response you were hoping for, but here it goes.

First, congratulations on creating and maintaining such a great site. It is apparent a good amount of effort has gone into this site.

Yahoo is a great start for getting a good amount of traffic. Paid submission is relatively inexpensive at $299 and your rankings are not based on traditional "SEO" techniques. Also, inclusion in Yahoo will get you into Google.

LookSmart is another good place to submit your site -- I notice you have not yet submitted there. LookSmart provides the primary results to MSN which is capable of producing nearly as many visitors as Yahoo.

Submission to Inktomi is another great plan. Through PositionTech, you can submit pages for about $12/page. Inktomi provides data to MSN (secondary results), AOL, GoTo, HoTBot, iWon, among MANY others.

Because Inktomi-powered engines are traditional search engines (as opposed to directories like Yahoo, LookSmart or ODP), your pages must be optimized to achieve good rankings. Fortunately, it is apparent you paid attention to optimization when building your site so this won't be a problem for you. I would recommend submitting all your primary pages to PositionTech for inclusion. They update the search engines with your page every week, so you can make continual adjustments and track the results.

Beyond that, building incoming links to your site is VERY important. Not only will this create a direct flow of traffic, but incoming links are weighed heavily by search engines. You already are listed in ODP, which is a step in the right direction. Do your best to encourage other, relevant sites to link to yours and you should see your traffic skyrocket.

Good luck!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't submit to Looksmart, chances are it'll go bankrupt in the near future.

Inktomi does not power AOL. AOL is powered off ODP almost entirely... Inktomi might be a secondary source but the first results will be from ODP.

The same goes with all AOL owned properties (ICQ, netscape, etc)

One thing you can do is search on google for your desired keywords and then see what pages are linking to the first sites that come up. Chances are these pages are specialized directories/link pages of personal sites, etc. Write to these people or submit to these directories and mention they may be interested in your site. This is a good way to get a high ranking in Google.

I'd also subscribe to the newsletter at trafficology.com they have really good tips.

Finally remember that it does take time. Engines like Inktomi especially take a long time. But traffic does grow with time.

If you have subsections of your site that would be appropriate you may also try submittingthose to different parts of DMOZ.org, this can help quite a bit.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also you have to remember something else.

Its very very easy to get traffic for an adult site, for a gaming site, because there are millions of teenage boys on the Internet. For more specialized sites like yours your traffic will come harder... but it is worth more to advertisers so do not dispair.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend one and one site only:

www.selfpromotion.com

He offers bloody great advice, tools and links.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, don't believe everything you read. I've seen hundreds of posts on many forums that go something like "We launched our site last week and we're only getting 50,000 hits a day. What's wrong?" Yea, ok.

Second, as mentioned above, the subject of the site plays a lot into traffic. If you have a site 1000 Cooking Ideas for Oatmeal, it might be the best looking site ever but don't count on getting thousands of hits a day. OTOH, a video game site would probably do better regardless of design.

Third, there's traffic and then there's traffic. If you just want people to come there are ways to make that happen. But if you're trying to become known as a community or info site, or sell something, you want qualified visits, not just casual visitors. I'd rather have 100 qualified visitors than a 1,000 casual lookers.

Forth, traffic takes time. Give it a chance.

Good luck!
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: AOL and Inktomi/ODP

Inktomi actually provides a GREAT deal of content to AOL, and it is not just secondary results any longer. A few months ago, AOL switched up how it displayed results, giving more prominence to Inktomi listings. There is no substitute for an ODP listing, but Inktomi is still a significant provider of traffic through AOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend www.jimtools.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually submit my sites to all the search engine free listings manually. In a couple months (if you keep updating) you will see yourself in the search engines then as you update more often and keep working you will start moving up. Maybe for your market though it would be better to find links with other specialty sites. Another great tool for picking search engine keywords is:

http://inventory.goto.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

Hope thats helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 2nd Aspen`s advice on trying to get a good rank at Google. It`s not like the other engines who reqires SEO`s to get you listed highly. All it takes is for you to find high PR (page rank) sites that would be interested in linking to your site (since you`ve got a good original content site, this should be no problem).
    Get the googlebar and look at page rank, then try to find sites with more pagerank than you curently have, and get them to link to you. You have in fact got a quite good pagerank allready (PR5), so it shouldn`t be too long before you get PR 7-8 and start to see some good traffic. Go to searchengineworld.com and the google forums for more info.

By the way, your keywords would probably get you banned by any other engine.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JonOSteen
    Dan,

This may not be the response you were hoping for, but here it goes.

First, congratulations on creating and maintaining such a great site. It is apparent a good amount of effort has gone into this site.

Yahoo is a great start for getting a good amount of traffic. Paid submission is relatively inexpensive at $299 and your rankings are not based on traditional "SEO" techniques. Also, inclusion in Yahoo will get you into Google.

LookSmart is another good place to submit your site -- I notice you have not yet submitted there. LookSmart provides the primary results to MSN which is capable of producing nearly as many visitors as Yahoo.

Submission to Inktomi is another great plan. Through PositionTech, you can submit pages for about $12/page. Inktomi provides data to MSN (secondary results), AOL, GoTo, HoTBot, iWon, among MANY others.

Because Inktomi-powered engines are traditional search engines (as opposed to directories like Yahoo, LookSmart or ODP), your pages must be optimized to achieve good rankings. Fortunately, it is apparent you paid attention to optimization when building your site so this won't be a problem for you. I would recommend submitting all your primary pages to PositionTech for inclusion. They update the search engines with your page every week, so you can make continual adjustments and track the results.

Beyond that, building incoming links to your site is VERY important. Not only will this create a direct flow of traffic, but incoming links are weighed heavily by search engines. You already are listed in ODP, which is a step in the right direction. Do your best to encourage other, relevant sites to link to yours and you should see your traffic skyrocket.

Good luck!
    I understand your point exactly! It's very hard to get traffic, especially when you have a much larger site in the same category as your own (in my case, granturismo.com, and in yours, dpreview.com).

But, you have done an excellent job, and I have told a photography buff family member about AskTheCameraMan!

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're doing great!

If you are getting 1000 hits and and you just put the site up...rejoice. That's good! Don't forget dmoz.org, they engine alot of sites, including YAHOO!

(I was on Yahoo within a month, through Google and payed nothing)

There are more way to generate traffic to your site than search engine submition. Make up some small banner ads (big ads are out) and offer some kind of incentive for linking to your site. Animate them using Fireworks if you have it.incentive
    Last edited by guysmy; Oct 23, 2001 at 01:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest dmoz.org, the submission is free and you have a fair chance of getting in. I got my site in itkomi for free, they accept free submissions through thrid parties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for Google, ODP, AV and Lycos first. Concentrate on getting free listings in those engines, then when the money starts coming in from those listings, you can look into Inktomi and if you're really brave, AV's paying scheme.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this isn't what you're looking for in terms of information, but I think there is a primary design flaw (though the design is great) of your site:

Which is more important? News bits or Articles?

Reason I ask is that your news takes up 90% of your space, and your articles 10%. Personally as someone in the industry I'd rather have the titles of news and not the whole article somewhere near the top, and articles prominently displayed...
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright