SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using AJAX to retrieve data

I am looking for some general advice at this stage on the use of AJAX for searching. I have a requirement to do a search by name, address, city, postal code, etc. and the search should return a thumbnail sketch of the person's particulars (there could be up to 100 or more jones). Is Ajax the tool to do this kind of search or should I just use a standard form? If Ajax is the tool, can I capture the id of a selected person and use it in another form? With the possibility of more than 100 entries, can I page or scroll through the list? Any views on this issue would be appreciated.

Rick

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use Ajax, or a normal form. I think it is a good idea to provide a GET-based search too, though. If you do, someone can post an url (on his blog, for example) to your search results: http://site.com/search/the+search+keywords.

The common way to do Ajax in Rails is to generate HTML with Ruby, and then replace the contents of a div with that HTML. If you want to do this with Ajax, you could, for example have this set up:

controller People:
    action search: displays the form which calls get_search_results
    action get_search_results: searches the database and returns the html.

for example:

Code:
    def get_search_results
      @results = Person.search(params[:query])
    end
    Code:
    # get_search_results.rhtml
    <ul>
    <% for person in @results %>
    <li><%= person.name %></li>
    </ul>
    The form in the search action loads this HTML into a div.

If you want the user to be able to click on one of the results, and then load the data of this result into a form, you would use a link_to_remote in the <li><%= person.name %></li>. This link calls an action update_form/12, where 12 is the id of the user. This action uses an rjs template like this (assuming you have a partial for the form):

Code:
    page.replace_html 'user_form', :partial => 'form', :object => @user
    This replaces the innerhtml of the div with id="user_form" with the output of the partial.

I hope this is clear, but if you've never used Ajax on Rails, it will probably not be.