User Tag List

Thread: SSL pages

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSL pages

Don't know if this post belongs here or in one of the development forums, but I'll try here since it's an eCommerce question.

I'm working on an eCommerce project and of course I am going to need to have some secure pages for collection of address and payment info from the user. I've searched the articles here on this topic, but all I can see so far is that I need a host that supports SSL and I need to get a certificate.

What else is there to SSL? Is there some HTML or other code that tells the browser to start encrypting? Does anyone have an example or a link to a good tutuorial on the basics? I don't need a shopping cart (there is only one product for sale) so I was planning to just code the order entry page. Any reasons not to? I'm pretty comfortable with HTML and I've been programming in different languages for several years, just new to the web stuff, so I shouldn't need too much handholding.

Also, my client wants to use Skipjack (www.skipjack.com) as the payment gateway. Anyone worked with them before?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically you (or your host) installs your SSL cert on the server then you call (link) to the secure pages by using the https prefix. The actual details will depend on your server or host.

But no, you don't have to code anything into the html to encrypt the info.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is the cert just a file?

How much help should I expect from the host on this? I called the guy that my client wants to use, and I didn't get a good feeling from him about any of it. I was asking about PHP, MySQL, and SSL. And for all of them he was basically saying "uh.. yeah.. that shouldn't be a problem." I wasn't impressed.
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may not know much about it. Hopefully the guy you spoke to is in sales not tech support!

The SSL cert is a file that the host installs on your server/account (there maybe a setup fee for installing it but shouldn't be much).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what his position is. He makes it sound like he's the man there (it's basically his company), but I wasn't impressed with him at all. Got a bad vibe, so I think I'll check out some other hosts. Need to make a decision soon though.

I'll look into the SSL certification companies tonight.
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many hosts offer shared secure server. You share access to the host's secure server running the host's SSL certificate. Some hosts will include this in thier plans (we do), others charge you extra for secure server.