SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamhost or MidPhase ??

Which is one is better?? MidPhase.com or Dreamhost.. i need lot of bandwidth with fair price.

Any other suggestions !!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which one is better, but you could go with Dreamhost after finding one of those coupons that give you $97 off, so you'd pay some $20 for the first year of hosting. In addition to that, you'd enjoy their 97 days (I think) moneyback guarantee. That way your risk would be quite minimal.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya ditto on dreamhost, solid estab company and good reviews on webhostingtalk for the most part. what are you using all the bandwidth on?
    CEO of Site5 Web Hosting - 18 Locations around the world, 45,000+ happy customers!
    WebPub.com - Automatic WordPress Upgrades (New Startup)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful of other restrictions such as CPU limits etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would stay away from dreamhost if i were you.

They are majorly overselling which results in poor speeds. I remember someone posted a review on webhostingtalk, and they posted a file link which shows a maximum of 20kbps when you try to download it.

A lot of people have complained. Take a look at thier support forums, loads of customers complaining and nothing being done about it!

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamhost is clearly overselling but midphase is overselling too IMO
    And CPU limit usage is their weapon
    take a look at hostgator.com or site5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember someone posted a review on webhostingtalk, and they posted a file link which shows a maximum of 20kbps when you try to download it.
    It took them a while to admit there was an issue, but in the end they found the source of it and solved it. I believe a router wasn't working properly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get few mb/s from my dreamhost account using my campus line... so speed definetly isn't an issue. If you're willing to learn some php stream and file handling stuff, you can make your site essentially like a static content site without using much of any cpu resources... I paid off a huge bill (as you probably have seen in the other thread about dh), so its a definate proof that their speed can deliver...

oh... and for the record, no, I don't work for dh... I'm just stating the fact...

As to answering the original question on this thread...

I like DH... but I don't like their massively delayed panel. The panel does not update usage stats until midnight their time (which happened to be the same time as my time, except, they're in the states, and I'm up north). That means your site can be continuously running even if it exceeded the bandwidth limit you've set to (default is unlimited, be careful!! DH does NOT suspend your account for bandwidth overage), and you are responsiable for the bill.

As for midphase, I have not used them, but a catch 22 you haev to watch out with them is that their 'unlimited' bandwidth is allocated in blocks of 100GB... while most websites won't need it, if your website actually needs that much, you are required to contact them to give you additional 100GB blocks each time you hit 80% of your bandwidth usage. So, what that means if you have a VERY busy day one day, and you need to use 300 GB of bandwidth, you have to camp there until you used 80GB of your inital allocation of 100GB, then contact MidPhase for an additional 100GB, and then wait until your site uses 160GB, and you contact then again for an additional 100GB block... I am not making it up, its listed in their terms of service... Its a hassle in my view... but I've never used them, so it may be just something I'm not clear on =]

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfarin
    As for midphase, I have not used them, but a catch 22 you haev to watch out with them is that their 'unlimited' bandwidth is allocated in blocks of 100GB... while most websites won't need it, if your website actually needs that much, you are required to contact them to give you additional 100GB blocks each time you hit 80% of your bandwidth usage. So, what that means if you have a VERY busy day one day, and you need to use 300 GB of bandwidth, you have to camp there until you used 80GB of your inital allocation of 100GB, then contact MidPhase for an additional 100GB, and then wait until your site uses 160GB, and you contact then again for an additional 100GB block... I am not making it up, its listed in their terms of service... Its a hassle in my view... but I've never used them, so it may be just something I'm not clear on =]
    Thanks for that tidbit of info. I have MP as a host for 1 site, just to try them out, and I never came across this info. (Of course it would help to clearly read all of the TOS.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard the code to get a discount with Dreamhost mentioned a few times, could someone please tell me where to get the code?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by videocontent
    I have heard the code to get a discount with Dreamhost mentioned a few times, could someone please tell me where to get the code?
    Google might help you out. AFAIK the maximum discount you can get is $97. Look for such a coupon.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...st+coupon+code

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamhost coupon

Try "MAXIMUM" It's suppose to always give you the maximum discount, should be $97.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I would go with netfirms with 750GB bandwidth and 20GB space for only $10/year with coupon.
    NetfirmsCoupons.info - 20GB Hosting at Netfirms for only $10/year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T think U should host in dreamhost
    Best Arcade site =>game247.info<=

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone but midphase

Just got screwed by them. I had a site with them for 1 yr.Great Initial low cost turns to high costs to add on, email is horrible, and customer service is non-existent. And auto renewal is a fraud. Still trying to get my money - I cancelled a few days later than their policy says. I filed Better business Bureau complaint and credit card dispute. Read the 16 pages of fine print on their terms and conditions. Their customer service is the WORST. Watch out for this guy named "MARK". Seems like one guy in billing whi is an ahole. STAY away from these guys, they rip you off. Here's one of their reply's:

"Understand it is not our business to take advantage of you, nor is it
    our intentions. We do, however, have a business need to collect what
    is rightfully ours and we base these decisions entirely on your
    account history and compliance with our Terms of Service policy."

Dan Ushman
    Billing Manager
    AND....

Since you have disputed the charge with your credit card company we
    have no choice in this matter.

Once we receive the charge back notice we will supply all the details
    to your credit card company.
    You will also be sent to collections and will be reflected on your credit.

Thank you,

Mark

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,

I did a search on Google and found a few
    Dreamhost coupons:

- mddr - yellowgorilla - MAX2169 - FLY

Hope this helps
    I've been using www.HostGator.com
    for 38 months... and it's been awesome.

Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a bunch of good dreamhost reviews lately. I actually have an account on dreamhost and have had a good experience thus far as well.