SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum Conest Ideas?

Hey there fellow sitepointians,
    Does anyone have ideas for a forum contest? Not # of post though, because then people write lots of bad posts.
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try out a banner design contest for your forums, and choose a differnet one to promote every other week, or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, it's a science forum

thnks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contest

Tagline logo. Or Fan Art.
    signature

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found trying to give away a good book doesnt work, i get about 300-500 page views per day yet only a few posts.

starting a forum reuqires alot of work espesially if you dont already have alot of traffic on your site.

cheers
    Steve
    Website design for small businesses.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offer the prize to the person whose new message (thread root) draws replies from the most other participants (number of people, not messages) in the first 100 hours.
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great idea marty!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MartyWinston
    Offer the prize to the person whose new message (thread root) draws replies from the most other participants (number of people, not messages) in the first 100 hours.
    Thats the best idea i've come accross, one i'll defintly use in the near future.

cheers!
    Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure when you talk about it that you call it something like "The Winston Plan"

(Getting old, not sure of making the history books).
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

little change

Since i first noticed this 'winston plan', i've thought about it a great deal. One problem sticks out to me. If you are basing your winner on the person who has the most replies to one of their threads, this will discourage people who want to win the contest from replying to other people's posts.

So, i have made a few changes to the winston plan, something i want to call the 'Winston plan with Lutter dual level community encouragement'. Ok, so maybe that will be just the technical name

Alright, my site is a general interest forum site. (link in sig.) Basically, just a whole mess of forums on just about every topic appealing to everyone. This probably wasn't the best idea, since specific interest sites can gather traffic easier, but the domain name i came into kind of made me HAVE to go general.

Anyhow, having a mess of forums and nobody posting, i need a good way to generate some community.

Having read about a few other people's contest experiences it's come clear that when you post to the sweepstakes hot houses, you tend to get a lot of people in who sign up, but then leave just as quickly. I need people who are going to stick around and interact in my forums.

So, now with the background out of the way, here comes the idea. (it gets kind of technical, but you all can take it)

Each registered member of my site will have two numbers associated with his name, X and Y.....

X will be the number of DIFFERENT people, other than the member himself, that have replied to all of the topics the person started in the given timeframe.

Y will be the number of topics started by someone else that the member has replied to in the timeframe.

X times Y equals Z. Whoever has the largest Z wins the prize. I'm thinking a weekly prize of a $25 Amazon Gift Cert.

Here is my thinking behind this. The X value will encourage each member to post a lot of topics. But just posting a lot of topics won't help, they have to be interesting, since they do no good unless people reply. And the more different people, the better.

But, nobody will ever reply to anyone else's topics for fear of making the other person advance farther in the contest. So to make it so they HAVE to reply to other's topics, the Y value comes into play.

Mostly, by making sure that topics have to be interesting, and with some good moderation to keep the spamming down(both conventional spamming and the ones just to get contest numbers up) I hope to build a good bunch of community oriented posts.

Having it be a weekly renewing prize will keep the sweepstakes traffic coming back... while in the meantime, my user base will continue to grow since there is continuous fresh content.

Good idea, bad idea, anything I left out? Questions, comments?
    ::::::: Lutter Interactive, LLC ::.
    -: Web Design -:- Programming -:- Consulting :-
    http://www.lutterinteractive.com

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MxTxL,

You might run into the earlier mentioned problem of people posting just to post not to keep the conversations going. But that is the only drawback other then keeping track of everything that I can see.

Good Luck,
    Dan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its still a great idea though
    Steve