SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP and Web Services

Hi Guys I'm just starting to wade into the world of web services as of late due to a pending project where I'll need to write a SOAP client.

I've played around with Amazon's API using PEAR::SOAP and it seemed pretty straight forward. My question here is do I stick with PEAR:SOAP or should I be using nuSOAP, ezSOAP or some other library that's out there? Or does it really matter?

Keep in mind I'm stuck using PHP4 for at least another 6 months so this pending project will have to be done using PHP4. Having said that I'd love to hear some thoughts, ideas and experiences using different web services. It seems to me that there's a lot of possibilities out there that are waiting to be leveraged into some fantastic business models.
    Jeff Busby

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going to communicate with Amazon or some other service ? Despite it's name, SOAP is very verbose (~complicated). If you're in control of the api yourself, I'll recommend that you consider using XML-RPC or simply a REST'api with xml-responses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to note is that using Amazon's SOAP API is a lot slower than Amazon's REST API.

I've played with both APIs, and scripts using their SOAP API tend to be much slower performance-wise.

Regarding using SOAP in PHP4 though, I'd stick with nusoap, it's got a lot of features in it that can be used for lots of various things.
    Roger Stringer
    DBStract - Build a database - Gather data - View it from every angle
    Other Sites: [ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ][ 5 ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply's guys, no I don't have control of the API and it's not amazon that I'll be consuming services from. Also they don't off a REST API, SOAP only. I guess my main concern here is, in 6 months from now when we start porting everything to work on PHP5, or 6 by that time who knows, what SOAP lib will have the easiest transition?
    Jeff Busby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either one will require the same amount of work to port over to PHP 5's native SOAP client.
    Roger Stringer
    DBStract - Build a database - Gather data - View it from every angle
    Other Sites: [ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ][ 5 ]