SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Load testing a website - any suggestions?

I am at the last stages of building an ecommerce site and need to Load test the site.

Anyone out there have good, bad (or ugly) experiences or suggestions.

Thanks,

Daniel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some suggestions

If you have an interaction on your site, especially in the payments area and this triggers events on your site such as access to files, members area's etc, then you need extensive testing before you go online.

The first place to start is testing it yourself. Go through every permutation of a transaction you can imagine, single choices, multiple choices, different choices with choices and record the results down on spreadsheet. Recoding the results is vital. To test transactions you need to make sure you credit card is not getting billed each time so set your product prices to 1cent or your system or provider may allow you to do dummy transactions.

Then get a group of ten friends or associates to test the site. You tell them what to check also let them discover and ask them to record the results. Quite often is difficult to see problems when you are the creator, except if you are god, of course.
    Empower your business with intelligent use of e-commerce at
    www.ecompublishing.com. Knowledge, online services and consulting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to what peterkk3 said...

make sure when u test for transactions, numbers (or in this case charges) are correct, meaning, there're no dumb additions to the customer's total or dummy numbers that add up out of nowhere

I believe you merchant account provider could provide u with a test credit card number (i dunno if this is universal, but it's usually 444433332222111 for a visa)

as for load testing specially on server...just gather a number of fellas and let them conduct transactions at the same time to see how the wesite, server...etc react
    you may give 'em specific test cases or leave 'em to their imagination

hope i've helped,
    goodluck and let us know when the site is out
    i just might be a buyer

Rush
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah if you really want to load test your site, use this free microsoft tool. It can simulate tons of users on your site at the same time.

http://webtool.rte.microsoft.com/
    http://www.echo-consulting.net - Sound Solutions for Online Inspriations.