User Tag List

Thread: Address list

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Address list

Hello, I'm new to PHP. I have a simple database Address list: Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Phone. My field lists "City" & States are dropdown lists for list of cities in my state. My question is "How can I have users add their cities & States from other States then updates dropdown list? Do I need two tables "Add city" & "current city list"? I see this in MS Access database. Please help. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you use javascript you can't add anything onto the page the user is viewing without refreshing it.

If you do this in PHP, you would have a text input "add city" and a submit button which would refresh the page and add the new city to the database at the same time, thus adding it to the drop-down list. You would also lose all the user's other input data and they would be very annoyed.

If you were to use Javascript you could have a text input "add city" and anything the user typed into the text input could be automatically added to the drop-down list without refreshing. Then you could add the new city into the database once the whole form has been submitted. This I think would achieve what you're after but it's an unusual way of doing things and the user would probably be very confused about having to enter in a city AND select it from the drop-down list. Also I'm not sure you'd want random users coming along and adding fictional cities to your drop-down lists for other people to choose.

What I would suggest you do is look at some other websites that do the kind of thing you're trying to achieve and take note of how they do it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the quick reply. Most other sites just has a field entry for the city list. I thought it be interesting for the users to try a dropdown list & if it's not listed to add their city. Maybe I'll just use a field list. Thanks again.