Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't see it as being redundant

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are developing for PHP5 then it's only polite you actually use the full functionality no... There are other developers who will have to maintain your script once you're long gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I add it all the time. It never hurts to be completely explicit with this sort of thing.
    This space for rent.

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only specify protected or private. Seems redundant to re-specify the language default.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be required to have public there.

EDIT: Just looked it up. I was wrong.
    Last edited by Mau; Mar 4, 2006 at 23:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explicit > Implicit for me. (I specify public)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave it off.

Anyone that doesn't know the default is public shouldn't be anywhere near your code.

SitePoint Enthusiast siteartwork's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    public
    all the way, baby. And that's just because I'm so happy we finally have access levels in PHP5!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    > I leave it off.

At the time, it didn't occur to me that a lot of people may well leave it out anyways, when they move from PHP4 to PHP5, since that is one reason PHP5s class methods were public by default, to sit well with BC, I assume anyways.

Makes sense I suppose, but I didn't take much notice since I just dumped everything related to PHP4 and made a clean break

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use it in new code, because I thought it was required according to E_STRICT standards.

Looking at the manual again, both class variables and methods default to public; however, only failing to declare the visibility of a class variable will trigger the "Strict standards: Please use the public/private/protected modifiers" E_STRICT warning.

I don't know, but that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... default both to public for PHP 4 compatibility, but only warn about one under E_STRICT?

I think I'll just keep on thinking what I thought before and always use a public/private/protected modifier. It sure makes things a bit more consistent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    I always use it in new code, because I thought it was required according to E_STRICT standards.

Looking at the manual again, both class variables and methods default to public; however, only failing to declare the visibility of a class variable will trigger the "Strict standards: Please use the public/private/protected modifiers" E_STRICT warning.

I don't know, but that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... default both to public for PHP 4 compatibility, but only warn about one under E_STRICT?

I think I'll just keep on thinking what I thought before and always use a public/private/protected modifier. It sure makes things a bit more consistent.
    The strict notice only warns, atm, when use "var $param", (IIRC) there was some mutterings about just making var a synonym for public, and removing the notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    there was some mutterings about just making var a synonym for public, and removing the notice.
    This is what I mean about consitency. In a language that at times can be so inconsistent, you sometimes have to make your own rules just to stay sane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    I leave it off.

Anyone that doesn't know the default is public shouldn't be anywhere near your code.
    In other languages, what some would consider to be "real" programming languages, the default is not public.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So relying on the default generates a warning? Hmm, I'm not using E_STRICT. I'm thinking I should be. That sounds like a pretty good reason to always specify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkirk
    So relying on the default generates a warning? Hmm, I'm not using E_STRICT. I'm thinking I should be. That sounds like a pretty good reason to always specify it.
    Doesn't generate a warning on methods, just properties.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

Clutter.

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt vote because I am not sure what to do, and am even less sure now.

Perhaps I will wait and see how its handled in the Zend Framework?

:tongueincheeksmilie:
    isempty()

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all languages should treat functions declared without visibility as public. You shouldn't have to be explicit...it's kind of silly.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all languages should treat functions declared without visibility as public. You shouldn't have to be explicit...it's kind of silly.
    I typically prefer explicit because when I scan code, my brain expects to see something there. I must admit that I don't use it in interfaces methods since they are always public and when I think of it, there is no "non-static" counterpart to "static". So I certainly see the sense in your point.

Regardless, I like things to be consistent and easily differentiated: when I don't see a method declaration without a visibility modifier attatched to it my brain immediately thinks function declaration instead of method declaration. It seems trivial but the few extra characters actually aid my productivity. (and one man's aid to productivity is another man's clutter -- go figure )

Convention is a fine way to save time but explicitness removes that extra brain parsing step (and machine parsing, though that is moot in this case since both are recognized). I like to imagine that this is especially so for newcomers, though I'm in no position to know that.

Another point for me is that PHP is hardly the only language I use. The less I have to remember in terms of its particular conventions and the more I can see explicitly stated, the better off I am. I'm getting old.

(as a very minor clarification: all functions in PHP are always public -- of course you meant methods -- but that's the difference between relying on convention and requiring expliciteness )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    Hi.

Clutter.

yours, Marcus

Succinct ;-)
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboots
    I typically prefer explicit because when I scan code, my brain expects to see something there. I must admit that I don't use it in interfaces methods since they are always public and when I think of it, there is no "non-static" counterpart to "static". So I certainly see the sense in your point.

Regardless, I like things to be consistent and easily differentiated: when I don't see a method declaration without a visibility modifier attatched to it my brain immediately thinks function declaration instead of method declaration. It seems trivial but the few extra characters actually aid my productivity. (and one man's aid to productivity is another man's clutter -- go figure )

Convention is a fine way to save time but explicitness removes that extra brain parsing step (and machine parsing, though that is moot in this case since both are recognized). I like to imagine that this is especially so for newcomers, though I'm in no position to know that.

Another point for me is that PHP is hardly the only language I use. The less I have to remember in terms of its particular conventions and the more I can see explicitly stated, the better off I am. I'm getting old.

(as a very minor clarification: all functions in PHP are always public -- of course you meant methods -- but that's the difference between relying on convention and requiring expliciteness )

You can call it a method if you like, last I checked it said...

private function __construct()

I view private & protected as modifiers in the same way that static or abstract are. You have a basic function:

function DoSomething()

which can be decorated with:

[private|protected] [static] [abstract]

each of which has a different effect on the nature of the routine.

public doesn't actually *do* anything, so why bother?

Yes, I suppose it's theoretically possible that one day the PHP internals guys will decide that the default visibility of all class functions (;-)) is private, but I trust them to have more common sense than that. Worrying about that is about as sensible as worrying that they're going to reverse the == and === operators or change the string concatenation operator.

Beyond that, I don't really get the "language" difference things.

php:

class MyClass
    {
    function PublicFunc(){}
    private function PrivateFunc(){}
    }

$Obj = new MyClass();
    $MyClass->PublicFunc();

C++:

class MyClass
    {
    public void PublicFunc(){}
    private void PrivateFunc(){}
    };

MyClass Obj;
    Obj->PublicFunc();

Java script:

var MyClass = function()
    {
    function PrivateFunc(){}

return {
    PublicFunc: function(){}
    };
    };

MyClass.PublicFunc();

Lets not even get into languages that don't have C-like grammar!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I checked, functions are refered to as methods just so as to denote that they indeed belong to a class just as class variables are traditionally refered to as members. Again, it was a trifle so I won't argue the point. Call it what you will.

As I said earlier, I do appreciate your point in terms of the modifier principle -- and it is a good point. My point was that what makes something unambiguous to intention is a useful tool for me. In that light, my point about multiple languages was not a comparative one. It was meant to illuminate the idea that when jumping from one syntax/convention/style to another, the less that I have to internalize about how that model works, the better off I am. Your examples actually help drive that point home for me.

Back to the point of intention -- if the visibility isn't specified explicitely you de facto rely on the notion that the default visibility was intended. So specifying "public" does do something -- it tells me that whoever wrote the function really did intend a public visibility as opposed to assuming that the lack of a modifier isn't an oversight.

As an aside, I should note that if the PHP devs chose to keep the "var" keyword and instead allowed it to be modified (ie: [private|protected] var) then the consistency principle would make it much easier for me to internalize the dropping of the public keyword. This still wouldn't speak to intentionality but at least it would be less jarring (and it bears repeating) to me.

Best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboots
    just as class variables are traditionally refered to as members.
    Actually, attributes. Class members are all of its attributes and methods together. Also, generally, properties are public attributes.

That being said, there's not a general concensus on this or any other nomenclature; but this one seems most complete.