SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to build an affiliate programs forums, but it is too difficult.

I am going to build an affiliate programs forums, but it is too difficult. Can anybody help me how to make it live and drive my home page traffic?

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What aspects of building it are you having trouble with?
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the trouble is ..........

Actually, I think I have a cool domain name "IsaWebmaster.com", a cool server-side program "PHP and MySQL", a cool idea "all things about webmaster", currently I just focus on affiliate programs, in future, I want to build a e-shop for selling webmaster tools.

But the problem is that, I am not English spoken people, my first language is Chinese language, I can not write some attractive topics to drive the traffic in. I really need moderators or sponsors.

Can anybody give me some ideas for my site?

1. Sell it to others, (if you agree, please tell me how much my site cost is)
    2. Hire some moderators to write some topics for my forums. (please tell me how much they want per hour)
    3. Find out a sponsor. (Any sponsor want to give me money to grow my site?)
    4. co-operate with other site. ( which site is suitable to be partner?)
    5. Give up it, please do not renew the site next year, it is wasting money.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, there are already loads of sites doing this, and I don't think there is a real need for any more of them. Geez, sitepoint, geekvillage, gethighforums etc. Even these three satisfy most of my discussion needs.

I would suggest that you start a content site first, with content that you are knowledgeable about. It should also be a topic that the Internet lacks sites about.

Also, brush up your English! Read English books. Lots. And take classes, if possible. I'm Swedish, and my English is pretty good, but I still have to use proofreaders when I put content up. Your English is in fact so bad that I canít understand what the hell you are saying. Spelling errors and such is okay, a proof reader can fix that, but if your proof reader cannot understand you, he or she cant correct it.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truelight, you are a really f-king man

you did not give me any idea.

I want to hire you to be my moderater, I will pay you one dollar per month, remember, 5 working days and 9 hours per day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: truelight, you are a really f-king man

Originally posted by Lihongjun

I want to hire you to be my moderater, I will pay you one dollar per month, remember, 5 working days and 9 hours per day.

What on earth are you talking about? You're going to pay $1 for 180 hours of work? That's less than one penny an hour. I don't know where you're from, but in the States you can't buy much for a penny, or even a dollar.

Please do not get upset over the honest posts of other members. They're just trying to help by giving you the truth, in their opinion.

I happen to agree, running a message board in a language that isn't native to you could be very difficult. I know Spanish but wouldn't dare create a message board en Espanol.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You expect our traffic and respect, in turn business, by treating us like this? We are webmasters, buddy. We are the people who you target your site to. Truelight said nothing wrong. He told you the truth and you lashed out at him.

I personably won't help you now.

Originally posted by Lihongjun

What? I can only hope your kidding.
    Dan Ushman <dan@ratestar.net>
    Make Money or Advertise on dkAds Network - www.dkAds.com

List your hosting company or find a web host on www.HostingCatalog.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt moderating your board would demand more than 5 minutes per week, judging from your current activity, sir.

RKuhle, Ratestar - I think the above is meant to be an insult of some kind, albeit a very lousy one. Pay no further attention to this infidel.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what the meaning is that.....

I doubt moderating your board would demand more than 5 minutes per week, judging from your current activity, sir.
    If you help me to drive big traffic in, I will pay you more, even several thousand dollars per month, but if you just spend 5 minutes per week, and still keep the forum same activity, I think one dollar is too much for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lihongjun --

I'm going to step in and attempt to give you a reality check.

Communities on the Internet, much like in real life, take years to build. They also take lot's of time. Usually, the original webmaster is the only one running them for several months after they start until he finds LOYAL MEMBERS WHO CARE ABOUT THE COMMUNITY to moderate it.

Paying someone based on the traffic they generate for your community will end up doing nothing good for you. You will find the wrong person and that person will exploit you by spamming your site getting you a lot of bad reputation and maybe kicked off your hosting providers servers.

The best way to build a community is CONTENT. I and the other members of this board cannot stress that enough. You just can't install the UBB and hope for a million hits to your obvious affiliate links.

Also, why not start small and become big later. Make your site informative and simple and MINIMAL ON ADS. Once you have a loyal visitor base then slip some affiliate links in, or put a banner up.

You won't make money insulting people's intelligence. When a directory directed at webmaster's is full of affiliate links, a type of ad that 99% of webmasters are very familiar with, they will discover it and realize that your are just exploiting their need for a link list and not use your directory.

In short: Stop calling people names and stop treating the world like it's stupid. And get some content.

That's my buck and a half.

Regards,
    Dan
    Dan Ushman <dan@ratestar.net>
    Make Money or Advertise on dkAds Network - www.dkAds.com

List your hosting company or find a web host on www.HostingCatalog.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than try to run a community in a language other than your own, why don't you run a chinese webmaster community? Make it "for chinese, by chinese"
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, all guys, although my forums are not successful, my directory is still working, 95% traffic of my site are generated by my directory.

if my site is very bad, and i bankrupt, how about my domain? cost zero? it is my fault, but it is not my domain's fault, I don't think my domain could cost less UK£5000.