SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joomla or Mambo?

Hi, im currently developing a new site which will be featuring mostly media content.

Im stuck between choosing mambo or joomla. As far as im concerned am i correct in saying joomla is designed and coded by the same team at mambo?

Im slightly leaning towards mambo, becuase it a wider range modules components etc... But on the other hand is it safe to use mambo? is it still in development?

Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in a similar position to you a few months ago, and opted for Joomla. The situation as I understand it is that although Mambo is a 'regular' open source project/group, it is linked in with a for-profit company. I believe some of the core Mambo developers (not all) were frustrated by certain issues caused by the partnership with this business, and opted to setup Joomla as a fork project with no 3rd party ties.

Currently Joomla and Mambo are extremely similar and components/modules/mambots are more or less interchangeable between the two. This isn't likely to continue in the future as both projects go their seperate ways. Also, because of the 'purity' (can't think of a better word) of Joomla, many of the add-on developers who believe in open source have switched to Joomla as well.

I would say the main points between the two are:

Joomla
    - More of an unknown quantity than Mambo
    - Better 3rd party support (could be wrong but that's my experience so far)
    - Fast-paced development.

Mambo
    - Very stable project.
    - Development continues, but *currently* at a slower pace than Joomla.

Tbh, if you are not intending to add a lot of extra functionality then both will serve you well. If you want to make changes then I think I would probably go with Joomla.

Whichever you opt for, if you want to make changes to the core functionality then be prepared to get your hands dirty yourself or pay for a 3rd party to help out. But then when is that not the case?

SitePoint Evangelist bronze trophy Derek Sheppard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastersite
    Hi, im currently developing a new site which will be featuring mostly media content.

Im stuck between choosing mambo or joomla. As far as im concerned am i correct in saying joomla is designed and coded by the same team at mambo?

Im slightly leaning towards mambo, becuase it a wider range modules components etc... But on the other hand is it safe to use mambo? is it still in development?

Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated.
    Joomla is developed by the same team that wrote Mambo. Almost all existing Mambo modules may be used in Joomla without modification. mambo is still in development with a new team of programmers. I wouldn't think that would change.

At this point, there is no way to go wrong with either product. I'm partial to Joomla because of what I see as faster development and a more active community for support.

Things will change in the future (possibly this year) when Joomla releases v. 1.1. The code bases will begin to diverge and compatibility will be lost, so you should think about which system you'd like to build on in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i might go for joomla as this looks like its going in the right direction in terms of development and content.

I just hope that as the diverge of compatilibty between the modules increases, so will the support for using mambo modules with joomla

Thanks very much Dom.S, really interesting post. Im sure other people will benefit from your post as well as i have.

thanks Derek Sheppard, im also considering going with joomla

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I'm in the same boat. I am new to the world of pre-built CMS's. I personally am leaning towards Joomla. I do have a question though while we are on this subject. How much time would it take for an average web developer/programmer to set up a Joomla site with a bulletin board (probably phpbb) and also set up a premium membership area?

I'm working on building a site for a friend and he isn't sure whether or not he'll ever want any premium/paid content or premium message board area. Before I get too deep I wanted to make sure something like this was possible and how easy it would be to set up.

SitePoint Evangelist bronze trophy Derek Sheppard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stappa
    How much time would it take for an average web developer/programmer to set up a Joomla site with a bulletin board (probably phpbb) and also set up a premium membership area?

I'm working on building a site for a friend and he isn't sure whether or not he'll ever want any premium/paid content or premium message board area. Before I get too deep I wanted to make sure something like this was possible and how easy it would be to set up.
    Well, I use Joomla a lot and I could do it in about a day. For an 'average programmer' coming in cold? Maybe three to five days, depending on the amount of graphic design, integration needed and such. I wouldn't use phpbb, but rather a better integrated board like Simpleboard from tsmf.net, or the simple machines board (though there is bridge integration with phpbb - and vbulletin).

For membership there are a couple of solutions from very simple (Phil Taylor's MosLock) to more involved (MamboCharge) to premium (integration with Amember). You'll have to look into these and see if they will work for you. I will say that MamboCharge is not open source and support was disappointing for me.

In my opinion, this is a real hole in the Mambo/Joomla market and Some Smart Guy could do well by building a component that offers competition here...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those looking at forum integration, the SMF bridge seems to be furthest along in development and better suited to a production environment. The vB bridge is, frankly, pretty messy. I have opted to go half way down the vB integration route in that my site uses the vB comments mambot part of the bridge, but does not actually share membership.

I'm not sure about the likes of phpBB, IPB etc, although there is a universal connecter component available which may fit the bill there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla actually has an EXCELLENT IPB bridge. I have had great sucess with it recently. Only a few minor bugs I found.

I am still however fond of Mambo (Obviously) because 1) I have grown used to it over the years and 2) I get a lot of traffic from mamboserver.com (Even if its untargetted)

If you are looking for something thats going to be developed at a faster rate and have more features in the future, I would go with Joomla.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla has been receiving more updates recently and appears to be progressing a lot faster, so I'd recommend it over Mambo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also looking at mambo and Joomla. Now I'm working with joomla - it is simpler, there are also templates are available. There is also a shopping cart for Joomla, but I have not tried it yet. Do you have any feedback for joomla shopping cart?
    Batch Converting Software | Batch Printing Software
    Build World Online | Franchise Directory

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back with another question. If I were to combine a CMS with another script, just for the heck of it let's say a prebuilt BB. What's the best way to attack combining the two so the users have only one username and password?

Is the best approach to leave the pieces as is and write something that will login/out and the user from all the pieces at once? Example would be Jon comes along and signs up in the CMS and as he creates his username and password I have a script that creates the same user in BB database too. Then when Jon logs in he is basically logged into to everything so as he moves about the site.

Or would it be better to combine the user tables from the various scripts? I don't need to know how to do the above things, just which approach is better and will require less maintenance down the road.

I'm just starting to get into this problem as I am now adding on pieces to my site. After some more work I may be able to better ask that question so it makes more sense. Is it clear what I'm asking about?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would depend on the system that you are integrating with. I think that for the SMF bridge, registrations are actually disabled in both and you register through a new bridge registration process.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mambo will soon become a paid software

So better go for joomla

Mentioned