SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

promoting a personal site

Hi guys. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and have actually a few books on the subject matter. I started my personal site as an online portfolio, then I branched out to offer my web design services. Then I realized that I needed content to keep my users coming back.

Do you think you could give me any suggestions on how to promote my presonal site. Who my audience really is and what I can do to keep them coming back?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't.

Lot's of people make the mistake of confusing their business site with a content site. Don't do it.

You want people to come to your site to have a website built right? Then why are you going to distract them with content?

Does Amazon.com have news headlines? Of course not, they sell things, they want people to see their products, they want people to concentrate on their products, they don't want people seeing a news story and leaving their site.

You're either running a content site or a business site, not both. If you try and do both you'll end up with less of each.

Concentrate on selling your product, not on distracting your visitors. If they wanted content they'd go to a site like SitePoint. They came to your site looking for web design services, give them what they want.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendation

Michael,

Possibly create another site with FREE books online for reading. Then put banners/links to your web design site? Just a GREAT idea . I own a particular site on credit repair with a FREE book but I get paid otherwise.