Thread: Design steps

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design steps

hello guys...

well, i'm just gathering opinions for statistical matter. So here's the question:

When a web project or web site is in its development process, how should this process go in terms of design and development?
    1. Design pages or main page first THEN embed code.
    2. Design and Development, both go together.
    3. Neither, you have a totally different view point.

Lemme know guys and don't be biased
    Rush
    Glad to be BACK

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a "it doesn't matter" option?
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How you go about things is a personal matter really - to each his own kind of thing. I have a tendancy to deal with the look of a site first. Get the layout planned out, colour schemes and what have you. When I've got that clear in my mind I start putting it all together.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a "it doesn't matter" option?

I wish...but honestly i had a mild talk with my boss on this...i go for design at least the concept of planning like Saz said...but he insists that it's the VERY last thing..

so i want to have some figure to say it in his face that design in "not" the very last...
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My statement wasn't in reference to your question not mattering but that both routes work equallly well.

If you do a design first then incorporate the development inside that shell that's fine. The downside is that if the designer or someone changes the design the developer is "wasting" his time doing "piddly" code changes when he coudl be doing something more useful.

If you do development first with a "blank" design shell around it that's fine. The downside being that people don't get to see anything until much later in the process. There are less bells and whistles, but at the same time everything gets done sooner.

If you do them both at the same time a lot of time is wasted "trying this" and "trying that".

In essence they all work. It's hard to describe the interplay but I've done them all and none of them came out on top in terms of time savings, business savings, etc.

Essentially, if there is a well defined process with checks and balances and that process isn't disturbed with "let's try this" because part of that process is a final approval step you should be okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, if you want every page to look exactly the same, then go for design first. Use that as template and add the content when you are satisfied.

If you are making just one page, then combine both design and content till you are happy with what you see.

If all pages are different (like mine), work on the content and design the page around the topic in question.

If you give us more info, we might be more helpful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever goes well with you.

Personally however I think it would be best to develop a main template first before going any further. Sometimes I have had to edit all the pages again to add certain elements. That's a whole lot of work especially if you have a lot of pages already.

Try to design and develop a few pages and then test them out. Then when you're satisfied, move on with the rest!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, personally, all the page design information is kept in a single ASP page and all the information is inputted anyways so it isn't a lot of work to change design. In fact it's dead simple

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

embed code.........

I'd rather not embed code at all, it gets very messy very quickly.
    I'm a big template fan!

regards all
    Nick Wilson
    www.explodingnet.com
    Small business websites

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, all code is generated from a signle page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay my way is how i assumed most people did it, just because i find it to be easiest. but i never really thought of other ways.

first i start with a blank canvas in psp i design the generall look of my site, ie: colums, colours, a temp logo. then i crack open DW and put whats in psp as a trace image (kinda like a bg image, for the non DW`s) i then layout the tables to match the image, colour the cells, ect ect. Then i start on my css, building font styles, ie headings, sub headings, menu, ect ect (this way i know what names to use in any dynamic code). then i start on the dynamic stuff, building the database, writing code ect ect, then i go back to psp and start making more images, these are generally the bells and whistles type stuff. then i will continue to go back and forth till i get the end result, basically i do what i need, when i need it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to layout in Photoshop first as well (or Fireworks as the case may be). Then I'll go into DW and set up the basic layout using a tracing image. Then into Homsite to refine code, add CSS and separate template files.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first design a full design in Photoshop (eg. with fake newsposts etc.), then I start making the layout in HTML, the complicated scripts get incorporated at last since scripts mostly do not depend on design etc.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woo hoo
    thank you all
    Now i'm relieved...i was beginning to move on that "i'm totally wrong" track
    i know now that my brain (or what's left of it) isn't messed up yet.

Thanks a MILLION
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah web design is like alcohol.

Destroys a few brain cells each page/drink

SitePoint Enthusiast AppleCider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually mull it over in my mind first...what's the site trying to accomplish?

Then I take a pencil and paper and sketch out the navigation first, then the main page design.

Then I muse over the colors.

Only then do I dive into Photoshop. I normally do a complete layout in PS, port to ImageReady if I'm doing rollovers. Chop it up in ImageReady. Fire Up GoLive and import the table(s). Develop a .css file in StyleMaster and shove it into the GoLive site file. Develop pages. Clean up code if necessary. Test in multiple browsers (Netscape 3x, 4x; IE 3x,4x,5x, Opera, iCab, OmniWeb) on 2 monitors: a junky 14" 640x480 and a nice ColorSync 20 incher. Try to test on Windows, too.

Okay, so I'm anal
    You might as well fall flat on your
    face as bend too far over
    backwards.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, personally I think planning is a major part of the process that is left out quite a bit.

I have a questionnaire that I give to clients to fill out which gives me a good idea about their business and goals. It helps me decide what pages we will need, and what content will go on those pages. We make site-maps and come up with a mock-up site without any design.

Often we look at royalty-free image houses for photos or inspiration. We start on pen/paper with about 4 or 5 layouts, and then move to Photoshop with the top 2.

When we have a layout down, we start planning the coding and development end. If it's going to a database driven site or e-commerce there is a lot more planning, but we usually just start coding. We test in IE, NS4.7 and NS6 during the development process to make sure it will be compatible with the latest browsers.

Once finished we go through page by page, checking for errors and spelling mistakes. If everything is okay we upload.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends entirely on the what the page is for me.

For my design site, I created the design first, then filled in the content as necessary, then switched it to PHP.

For a database site, I'll set up the db first, then set up the PHP scripts, _then_ take what I have and turn it into something pretty.

Form follows function, but sometimes form is function.

ES2/LL <-- feeling cryptic.
    inVirtuo Design. Now open for business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes....i pretty much do what most of you guys do.
    plan, start with a simple prototype then start coding
    test then start finalizing everything:code fixing,design enhancements and all

the company i'm in is a software company,i'm involved in their first web based project..so it's kinda hard explaining or getting through their heads trying to convince them software is different.

i've turned everything to my favor now i got the specs and told 'em to lemme work n peace and there'll always be changes
    Glad to be BACK

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I do all you guys are doing too
    but Im tring to focus more on CONTENT these days
    with out that you have nothing but some cool gifs and such why make a cool button if it links to nothing much
    peeps want content more than anything else
    I even test it ask friends to write down Questions they want answers on concerning a topic or service . . .
    GG
    What you are today is what you believed you were yesterday . . .