SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Export Browser History

I am looking for a way, preferably in PHP or Java, to export the Browser history into a searchable database, possibly MySql. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this is PHP?

Thanks,
    Rob

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't and you shouldn't. People would consider that spying! (which i do!)
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about exporting YOUR browser history to a file that can be inserted into a database, or the browser histories of visitors to your site?
    If it's the former, then this is the wrong forum ...although if you get the file exported and want to populate a mysql DB with it via php, this is the right forum

If it's the latter, then I would be EXTREMELY surprised if there were any way to actually do this.
    If you want to look through any visitor's browser history, then you most likely have unethical intentions, and regardless, it's none of your business...would you mind if I put a camera in your bathroom and rifled through your wallet?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is actually for my fathers computer. He is always researching people and places from his days in the service. He never remembers to bookmark or even write down the url, but just writes down some information from the site. Then by the time he needs the information again, he cannot find the site and the history no longer shows it.

I know, it seems easy enough to bookmark, but sometimes the information does not seem important to him until a month or two later and he finds something else. Then he starts telling me about this site he visited a few months back, and asking me to find it. Sometimes we do, but a lot of the times we do not.

I have tried one of the history viewers that allows export to csv, but was looking for something a little more automated to make it simpler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to quote myself, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by aamonkey
    Are you talking about exporting YOUR browser history to a file that can be inserted into a database, or the browser histories of visitors to your site?
    If it's the former, then this is the wrong forum

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRL-Rob
    It is actually for my fathers computer. He is always researching people and places from his days in the service. He never remembers to bookmark or even write down the url, but just writes down some information from the site. Then by the time he needs the information again, he cannot find the site and the history no longer shows it.

I know, it seems easy enough to bookmark, but sometimes the information does not seem important to him until a month or two later and he finds something else. Then he starts telling me about this site he visited a few months back, and asking me to find it. Sometimes we do, but a lot of the times we do not.

I have tried one of the history viewers that allows export to csv, but was looking for something a little more automated to make it simpler.
    You could increase the amount of time the history last.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.