SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems w/ Rails on Apache2

I am currently new to Ruby and Ruby on Rails. I have two eBooks that I have been reading about the both Ruby and Rails, and I find the language and MVC very interesting! That is why I have decided to try to install Ruby and Rails for my Apache2 server running off of my Windows XP (SP2) laptop.

I was able to successfuly install Ruby and Rails without a problem. The next thing I did was to configure Ruby and Rails for Apache2 using the instructions provided to me at this site: Fast CGI and Apache2 for Windows XP

The rails application that I am trying to use is named 'demo'. When I go to that application (http://demo/), it takes me to the 'Welcome aboard: You’re riding the Rails!' page. Okay, so far so good. So now I right my 'Hello, World!' file (saving it under the views folder as 'hello.rhtml'), I create a controller called 'Say', and I put the whole 'def hello' (followed by 'end' on the next line) into my say_controller.rb file. Theoretically, I should be able to go to my 'Hello, World!' by going to http://demo/say/hello, but instead, the browser waits an incredibly long amount of time before it goes to a 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' page.

I believe I have thoroughly described my problem. Any help would be MOST appreciated! Thanks!

~Patrick Smith~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay; nevermind. I was able to figure out my problem. I had ruby and rails installed on my computer, but in order to work with the Apache2 server, I needed to install Ruby for Apache. Just a note to anyone who installs Ruby for Apache and gets an error with a file called 'msvcp71.dll' in the system32 folder, I recommend renaming the file to something like 'msvcp71_old.dll' and retrying the installation. The installation will create another 'msvcp71.dll' file and put it in the system32 folder. An alternative is to just skip the file if you get the error. I'm just afraid that the file that the installer tries to put in is different is some way. I don't know. Hope this helps somebody!

~Patrick Smith~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet ANOTHER thing I would like to mention is that the site, Fast CGI and Apache2 for Windows XP, sets up the virtual host on port 80. I would recommend, when putting this into the httpd.conf file, to change '80' to another port (i.e. <VirtualHost *:3000>) and then make sure Apache is listening for that part (i.e. 'Listen 3000').