SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Software support model

I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

We develop custom web applications and we are struggling everytime to price post-release support. How do you handle this? Do you give a few months of warranty? Do you just offer an hourly rate and deal with each bug/feature request as a new mini-project? Do you offer a monthly charge with limited hours of support? What do you include in the support plan (new features, feaetures improvement, bug fixes, etc...)?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugs should not be charged to fix... they are your problem. The customer didn't pay for errors in their product...

I would just offer an hourly fee for support - easiest
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sdesigns is right. If you build an application for someone, bugs should be fixed free of charge. Feature requests are an entire different animal.

I like to offer monthly support packages, i.e., you can provide 4 hours of support a month for $xx/month. This time does not roll over to the next month. But my hourly rate is also reduced a little bit b/c i am guaranteed to be paid for x hours a month.
    Sara

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.
    Do you guys have any warraty period or you will fix bugs at no charge until the application is bug free

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benoit808
    Thanks for the replies.
    Do you guys have any warraty period or you will fix bugs at no charge until the application is bug free
    Considering the application shouldn't have bugs at all, I think the ethical thing to do would be to fix them for the life of the product. Microsoft was still fixing Windows 98 bugs (didn't they just stop recently?)

If there are genuine errors in your software, you should fix them free of charge and promptly. Customers don't pay for software that doesnt' work (or work how it's supposed to)