SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EditPlus all the way. It just ... works. I find I can live without function tips, code completion and templating.

I don't like the IDE's - Visual Studio has spoiled me (and given me way too high standards ).

As an aside, does anybody know of an editor that supports "in place" search like Firefox? I've fallen in love with it and would kill to have it in my text editor...
    This space for rent.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you by "in place search" mean start searching as you type, then i dont know of any, as normaly when typing in an editor you want it to either run as commands or get put into the file/buffer
    Most editors should support a decent search with regex and ability to highlight matches and jump around in the matches.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    weaverslave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like PHP Designer. I only saw one person mention it. It's a nice program. There are a lot of features, but it's very simple at the same time.

I like to begin writting on Notepad though (and no, I'm not kidding). It's like a clean slate and you can just work from there. I usually jump to PHP Designer a little into the script when I know exactly how I want to set everything up and execute everything.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickycarrots
    I like to begin writting on Notepad though (and no, I'm not kidding). It's like a clean slate and you can just work from there.
    heh. Using notepad to code with is like using a hammer to eat sushi. There are so many small, clean editors that are much better suited to the task -- even at early stages.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to shell into the server and manually alter the binary represenations by hand. I find it much purer than using vi or notepad since you're actually dealing with the real file.

p.s. can we stop these stupid threads now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, good point rossriley.

In windows (wich i don't use anymore), I used to use Winsyntax, really a great editor, incredibly light like notepad, but with linenumbers(how do you call that in english), code highlighting, and tab-length setting.

In linux I use textpad, wich is quite a good editor, but it's php highlighting is kinda crappy. It just highlights the most common syntax, but not most of the function library...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Windows I used Dev-PHP, on Linux Quanta+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only zend studio...it is fantastic! It has all you need....debugger, syntax check, function library and highlight for css,html,javascript ecc.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ZendStudio but only because I got the licence from the company that I'm freelancing for. Years ago I tried ZendStudio and it was absolutely the worst. I've always used UltraEdit and later UEStudio, but really, if you haven't tried ZendStudio lately you should give it a try. It works extremely well, and I know from now on I'll always use it.

(I should perhaps mention that perfomance has never been an issue since I'm lucky enough to always have top notch gear. I'm not so sure about the perfomance of ZendStudio on 3 or more years old laptop's)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus
    Well, if you by "in place search" mean start searching as you type, then i dont know of any, as normaly when typing in an editor you want it to either run as commands or get put into the file/buffer
    Most editors should support a decent search with regex and ability to highlight matches and jump around in the matches.
    Assuming, too, that you mean search-as-you-type, emacs' search (incremental search) has been the default search mode for more than 20 years.

Regex searching, of course, is a little different.

=Austin
    Austin Hastings - Principal Consultant - Longacre, Inc.

Anything you can do, you can do better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now i'm trying jedit with php parser plugin and it is fantastic too...and it is gpl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoL
    UEstudio (Ultra Edit Studio)
    I also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Zend (after some inital moans about it running on OSX)

Just downloaded Zend Server and been giving that a whirl as well, on one of our developement servers, it let's you access some nice features like profiling URL's and remote debugging.

Great Combination.
    George
    Got Sig!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSPad i love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossriley
    I prefer to shell into the server and manually alter the binary represenations by hand. I find it much purer than using vi or notepad since you're actually dealing with the real file.

p.s. can we stop these stupid threads now.

What stupid threads? Is there something wrong with looking for a good editor? Since you bring up the word "stupid," I thought I'd add that, for what it's worth, I have no problem accepting that some people like to "shell into a server", but to me, it sounds like building an apartment complex with a hammer because nailguns are somehow evil.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I'm looking for something with good OOP features. I tried the phpeclipse plug-in and komodo both are ok (certainly better then Dreamweaver which I was using before) but both are lacking some of the features I want. Like many, I've seen the power of vs.net IDE and am looking for something as powerful.

What I'm missing from phpeclipse plug-in and komodo is:

1) look for includes in the current php file I'm editing. Read the included files and search for classes then show me all the classes from all the files in the class browser with the little drop-down tree thingy-ma-jig that will list all of the members and methods for each class. Currently, komodo will only list the classes that are directly typed into the current php file. I don't know of any options to change this.

2) take the info from these included classes and use them for an intellisense like feature. I want to be able to type $new = new Class() and have an intellisense tooltip show me what arguments the constructor takes or type $new->method() and see what arguments the method takes.

3) Auto-opening/close braces + indentation. Its a very simple request but I can't get komodo or phpeclipse to do it. I want to be able to type if ($something > $anything) then hit enter and have the opening and closing braces automatically appear and my cursor placed inbetween them with an indent. Currently, I have to type the opening brace which will cause the closing brace to appear.

Thats all I can think of now but I'm sure there is much more I want/need. If anyone knows how to config eclipsephp plugin or komodo to do these things then please share! I'd also be interested in learning about other IDEs that may have these features.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to kyber, I use SciTE all the time now. I've written some custom scripts to help w/ php development. Now, I can preview a script w/ the F5 key and F1 is mapped to PHP's context sensitive help.

For others looking, SciTE is on the light side. That is to say that there is no context-sensitive code hints for OOP related stuff. However, I find myself increasingly reliant on its code hints for PHP's built in functions. My major gripe is to do with its concept of sessions. For some odd reason, I dislike the way in which they work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after several tries i now use zend development environment for all: php, xhtml, css javascript.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently started using Zend Studio 5 too. My biggest gripe with it is if you leave it open overnight when you come back it sluggish as hell since it seems to have paged itself to disk!

Is it written in Java?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    1) look for includes in the current php file I'm editing. Read the included files and search for classes then show me all the classes from all the files in the class browser with the little drop-down tree thingy-ma-jig that will list all of the members and methods for each class. Currently, komodo will only list the classes that are directly typed into the current php file. I don't know of any options to change this.
    It's true that Komodo shows only the opened files and their contents in the browser, but the autocompletion shows all public items in included classes. It can't recognize any _autoload()ed classes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    2) take the info from these included classes and use them for an intellisense like feature. I want to be able to type $new = new Class() and have an intellisense tooltip show me what arguments the constructor takes or type $new->method() and see what arguments the method takes.
    Again, Komodo does that. In addition, if the class/method is documented using javadoc-like syntax it will also display that information in autocomplete.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Hastings
    Assuming, too, that you mean search-as-you-type, emacs' search (incremental search) has been the default search mode for more than 20 years.

Regex searching, of course, is a little different.
    I wonder what hit me there, ofc its supported in vim, i find it annoying tho:
    Code:
    :set incsearch
    It is not the standard search mode in vi(m), in emacs yes.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BerislavLopac
    It's true that Komodo shows only the opened files and their contents in the browser, but the autocompletion shows all public items in included classes. It can't recognize any _autoload()ed classes, though.

Again, Komodo does that. In addition, if the class/method is documented using javadoc-like syntax it will also display that information in autocomplete.
    Thanks. I didn't know that was possible in Komodo. I'll have to look into it deeper..I haven't really dug in.

I also downloaded NuSphere PHPe. From the website, it seems it has most of the features I need.

And I also downloaded DEV-PHP (2.xx and the 3.xx alpha).

Hopefully between taking another look at Komodo and looking at NuSphere and DEV-PHP...I'll find my perfect IDE.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following recommendations from this thread, i've downloaded and spent about 3 hours with PHP Designer. On the plus side, it is really nice to use, fast and has loads of potential if only the author would make it open source. Unfortunately development seems quite slow on it, and its also missing several essential features, such as autocomplete (for functions and classes), a breakpoint debugger and version control. You can't even view the extended php help file from it which is a bit