SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

About every three months I go through and download Gigs of editors trying to find a replacement for EditPlus - my editor of choice for about 6 years.

There are three things that bug me about EditPlus, but I never seem to find anything that's "better"
    1. The project manager sucks. It's a flat file list and with lots of files, it's basically unusable. Although even Putty gets to be a pain when there's more than 25 SSH accounts set up.
    2. SFTP support is experibroken. Although there are some workarounds, they are all external to EditPlus which makes them annoying. I currently use WebDrive for that as it acts like a mapped drive, very transparent but you have to watch the little system tray icon to see if the file transfer completed before you refresh.
    3. Subversion support is non-existant. I use TortoiseSVN which is integrated into the shell. Works great and again is the least intrusive of the available options.
    Other than that I really like EditPlus. It's very fast and light. I do not need code completion or hinting or any of that junk to "help" me. If I need to look up something I have a the PHP manual bound under the user tools. CTRL+1 opens the manual and searches for the text under the cursor. I love the regex search and replace. The ability to expand the fields so that you can match against multi-line patterns is a hair saver.

On Unix you can do everything with vim, although I had a little trouble recently with ASP style tags in a file - I think only Zend can deal with those little mofos natively. Although in EditPlus I just created a different syntax definition file that declared the ASP tags as the tags. One little config change and I can work happily with them.

Personally I am going to be converting to Mac - where BBEdit appears to be king.

I think that the IDEs are useful if you are dealing with complicated builds and a compiling process that makes debugging difficult. I Unit Test first and when I need a watch I use var_dump(). A text editing tool (even if it's a fancy IDE) is not a replacement for your brain.
    later,

Matthew.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you have hundreds of classes/package, and thousand of function/method .. intelli/auto complete become useful :-) I rather save some brain memory for something more useful than to remember them.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze
    now i'm trying jedit with php parser plugin and it is fantastic too...and it is gpl
    I tried that today, and... Call me whatever, but I really can't make myself to look at an editor that looks as horrible as jEdit. Where on earth did they pull that interface from? Some really funky Java GUI components, I figure. I only wanted a simple scripting editor, nothing too fancy - my PHP developing needs are readily taken care of by PHPEclipse.

As I posted this, I realized I had Scite sitting on my HD. And it seems to perform well for what I needed it for. I guess that's a recommendation, there. The configuration is a tad obnoxious, though - you have to wade through text files to modify your syntax highlighting options. :/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off with EditPlus on Windows, switched to a Mac, bought TextMate and I never want to go back.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Textpad's cool. It has a lot of cool features. And it is my favorite text editor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    Now, before the advisors move this thread here me out. As I improve my PHP OO abilities I find myself wanting a much better editor or IDE. In general once you start put objects in other objects/arrays and so on I find myself really wanting an advanced auto complete much like the .NET and JAVA ide's.

For PHP Zend seems to be the best, yet it seems (at least to me) that many of you don't use it. Therefore, I am particularly interested in what some of SP's high profile and advanced php users use. Guys like Dr livingston, Ren, Lastcraft, dagfinn, kyberfabrikken etc.

Thanks.
    Try Zend Studio, best option imho
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the mac I use BBEdit Pro. I haven't encountered a better text editor for the mac yet. It doesn't show all your databases, like some other text editors, but it's fast and reliable. It has never crashed on me, unlike some of the feature loaden java apps you can get for the mac. The price is the only thing I dislike about it, but $180 is not too bad when this text editor is your bread and butter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Designer, Zend Studio and Dreamweaver

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EditPlus is my editor of choice, I've used it for years and I'm comfortable using it now so I doubt I would change. I'm very much used to how it all works and all the keyboard shortcuts and everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoL
    UEstudio (Ultra Edit Studio)
    Yep, and its nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm now trying bluefish cvs with some new nice features including code folding and the match of brackets.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, before the advisors move this thread here me out. As I improve my PHP OO abilities I find myself wanting a much better editor or IDE. In general once you start put objects in other objects/arrays and so on I find myself really wanting an advanced auto complete much like the .NET and JAVA ide's.
    I think that that is a bad sign... ;-). You're creating more boilerplate code.

As an aside, does anybody know of an editor that supports "in place" search like Firefox? I've fallen in love with it and would kill to have it in my text editor...
    Emacs has it, it's really good, it's called Incremental Search. It highlights all matches, and you can step forward and backward. It also has this, but with regex, and it has search and replace (interactive search and replace). (it's free too, but it doesn't look good, and you have to use all sorts of weird key combinations Ctrl+x, f for open-file, Alt-x Alt k to cut, etc.)

I'm now going to try PHP in the editor Emacs which I have previously experiences of. Is anybody here programming PHP using Emacs?
    Yes, I am , for a few weeks now. It's difficult to learn, especially because I want to learn to program without using a mouse (it's quicker because you don't have to take your hands off the keyboard). I know maybe 0.1% of all features, but it is already fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really nice thread.

For those that use scite, from what I understand, Notepad++ is an improved version of it.

Looking at PHP Designer, and it seems quite nice. Although the license says it is only for personal use, I can't find anything at all about commercial use. Do you have to pay for commercial use or what?

PHP Designer is snappier that phpeclipse, and it is only a 2mb download. PHP Designer has an option to give you the Visual Studio looks, which is nice. I can't give any other comparisons, since I havn't used either enough.

It seems like people quite like PHPEd and Komodo as well. I will have to try those out,