User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a little advice, please...

Hi,

I'm have developed a poll system that takes the result from a series of radio buttons and writes it to an XML file. I have broken it up into two components: survey.php and results.php

survey.php writes to the XML file while results.php loops through the XML file and calculates the percentage of options selected.

I have used an include to pull the survey.php file into my webpage.

What I would like to do is to have the results.php page replace the survey.php page when I click on the link, instead of going to a new page as it does now.

Is this possible to dynamically replace the file being inlcuded or do I have to use an Iframe?

Thank you!
    hockeyunderground.net
    - Fantasy Hockey Depot

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're already using XML you might want to take a look a the XMLHttpRequest object which is what Ajax is all about. Pear has a new module which I believe is in Beta:
    http://pear.php.net/package/HTML_AJAX

Also, Yahoo just released a decent javascript library which has a component that looks good to help handle the XMLHttpRequest object on the javascript side:

http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackreacher
    Since you're already using XML you might want to take a look a the XMLHttpRequest object which is what Ajax is all about. Pear has a new module which I believe is in Beta:
    http://pear.php.net/package/HTML_AJAX

Also, Yahoo just released a decent javascript library which has a component that looks good to help handle the XMLHttpRequest object on the javascript side:

http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/
    Thanks, but I would rather not open up another kettle of worms right now.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around PHP let alone AJAX.
    hockeyunderground.net
    - Fantasy Hockey Depot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't you mean can of worms?

first, show us some code. and, second, from what I can tell, why don't you just tell survey.xml to display when the survey up and results.xml to display when the link is clicked, via a GET variable or something?
    Fesh
    imagine what it's going to be like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have it post to a processing page
    Store the url it just came from in a variable.
    Have another variable set to "view_results" as opposed to "display" then redirect the user to the page with these variables appended to the URL.

The include file should check for the variable (which should now be set to "view_results" and load the poll results based on it.

Its roundabout and it won't work on pages with $_GET variables on them already (I think) but its the best you can do.

Consider just displaying the poll on its own page, it'll give you more flexibility.

I have something similar set up here.
    www.soulciti.com/news.php
    and I thought about doing it your way, but the hassle was a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by cob
    Hi,

I'm have developed a poll system that takes the result from a series of radio buttons and writes it to an XML file. I have broken it up into two components: survey.php and results.php

survey.php writes to the XML file while results.php loops through the XML file and calculates the percentage of options selected.

I have used an include to pull the survey.php file into my webpage.

What I would like to do is to have the results.php page replace the survey.php page when I click on the link, instead of going to a new page as it does now.

Is this possible to dynamically replace the file being inlcuded or do I have to use an Iframe?

Thank you!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikeo
    have it post to a processing page
    Store the url it just came from in a variable.
    Have another variable set to "view_results" as opposed to "display" then redirect the user to the page with these variables appended to the URL.

The include file should check for the variable (which should now be set to "view_results" and load the poll results based on it.

Its roundabout and it won't work on pages with $_GET variables on them already (I think) but its the best you can do.

Consider just displaying the poll on its own page, it'll give you more flexibility.

I have something similar set up here.
    www.soulciti.com/news.php
    and I thought about doing it your way, but the hassle was a bit much.
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about using a separate page as well but thought that my initial idea was a little more slick. But, as you say, its doesn;t seem to be worth the hassel. I'm still very new to PHP and am not aware of all of its capibilites, which makes it difficult for me to know whether or not my ideas are feasibile or not.

Thanks again.

COB
    hockeyunderground.net
    - Fantasy Hockey Depot