User Tag List

Thread: E-mail Forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-mail Forum?

Hello --

I was curious if there was a way to have an "e-mail forum" similar to Yahoo! Groups (previously eGroups) using PHP.

Basically what I don't know is if there is a way for someone to send a message to a particular e-mail address and then have that message post into a database, then e-mail that message out to everyone in the member list.

The reason I need it to post to a database is so that there will be an option for people to read messages from a web site instead of receiving it by e-mail if they so choose. This part is easy enough, but I just wanted to know about the actual e-mail part.

If you need me to clarify anymore please let me know. I appreciate all help. Thanks!!
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is possible, but this is the kind of thing you'd need to talk to your webhost about: I think it would require some server configuration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!

My host is usually very good about things like that.

Are there any help files out there that would help me to do this? Or even a package that has already been developed that will do it?

I appreciate it!
    Fuseblown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure but I think that php isn't going to do all of that. I think you'll need to set sendmail's (or whatever you use) aliasses up to pass the mail to a script then the script would insert the data and email everyone. If you make then use a online form to email it could be done. Those are my initial thoughts and as normal there is a work-around for about anything but I think I would use perl or a simple shell script.
    Microsoft's Motto: Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

My dog's name is Jade; she is a Miniature pinscher.
    Click here to see some of her pictures