SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I trim down mySQL?

I have mySQL on my PC for developing, but HD space is at a premium, so can I get rid of mysqld-max, mysqld, mysqld-nt and mysqld-max-nt? because I don't think I'm using them? Instead would using something like triad, fox or fox-serv be more space efficient?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see any reason why you couldnt get rid of many of the utils packaged with mysql..try moving them one at a time, restart the server and see if it effects it.

The thing is though that you are going to free up about 5mb by doing this
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can I trim down mySQL?

Originally posted by mitsubishi
    I have mySQL on my PC for developing, but HD space is at a premium, so can I get rid of mysqld-max, mysqld, mysqld-nt and mysqld-max-nt? because I don't think I'm using them? Instead would using something like triad, fox or fox-serv be more space efficient?
    IMO you should definitely keep mysqld.exe

This is the main file used to start up MySQL when using an Apache webserver. You might think that mysql.exe is used for that, but take a look at the DOS-window popping up when you are starting MySQL. Notice the mysqld on top of that window?

I am assuming you use an Apache webserver, but as far as I can tell, this applies to other webservers as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If disk space is really (I mean it!) scarce, you could also try to use an executable compressor on some of your files (.exe only)

This will reduce their size while they will still work normally, at the expense of a (slightly) longer load time. Also, think carefully which files you want to compress: If multiple instances of a compressed executable are running at once, they will not be able to share memory with each other, so you could run out of memory.

If you are going to compress any of your files, do keep a backup until you have checked that the compressed program works properly. Some programs may complain that their executable has been modified, "possibly by a virus" and then refuse to run. Other files may not work after being compressed, but most of the time, they work well.