SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conventional marketing success?

Hey, I love playing around with fun ideas and such, and I was wondering if anyone's had success marketing their websites through conventional promotional means. What I mean is methods that have been around for a long time, like stickers, pens or posters/flyers promoting a website.

I'm very strongly thinking of making some stickers for my new site for people to give to friends etc. However, I know the stickers will get put lots of places, but I don't know if people will actually take the time to visit the site.

If it helps, it's a politics based site -- very focused on Canadian politics (anything broader would be impossible to manage). I was thinking of taking advantage of feelings of nationalism to get people to the site, but I'm still wondering which conventional method has the best chance of succeeding.

Any comments and relevent anicdotes are welcome

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides word of mouth advertising, the BEST form of advertising in the service market is DIRECT... whether it be a mailout, telemarketing or setting up a booth at a convention.

PURSUE YOUR POTENTIAL CLIENTS! Don't wait for them to come to you. Introduce yourself and your services, and actively pursue contracts with potential clients. Send them a letter, follow up with a phone call and try to set up an appt. Then go on the appt and SELL SELL SELL!

I know this is really skimmed down but it does work, we've been doing direct marketing for over 1.5 years and have all the statistics down. It is a process and DOES work, if you stick to it. For us, out of about every 50 calls we get a sale of some kind. It may be $300 or it may be $2999... but it's a sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stickers, pens, T-Shirts, etc.. are good ways for brand recognition. If you have a logo, a good logo then use it, and people will recognize it. Even if they do not visit your site immediately, they will remember your logo.

Also, try taking advantage of political events in your town, like maybe sponsorships and newsletters.
    NetMaxx.com: WordPress Premium Themes Directory

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meet up with local government teachers from colleges and high schools, tell them of your project. If they like it, they'll refer their students. Maybe they'll even require a paper be written based on information from your website.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here